Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat is it ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is it ?
    Posted: October 16 2011 at 02:58
What are we all doing here?   Day after day, year after year, this continues to be one of the chattiest and most active music forums on the net.   Is it something about Prog Rock that tends to attract some of the most dedicated and obsessive fans in the world?   Could it be that Prog in its entirety was never properly preserved, and much of the lesser prog was on the verge of extinction before digital technology and worldwide access pulled it from oblivion?   Or maybe the time was ripe for a nostalgic second age of rock for the brain?

What do you think..?

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 06:07
My experience on metal-archives was quite similar...a loyal following, with more and more new members being added too.   In metal, it is the sense of a metal culture and lifestyle which even, for its diehard followers, transcends music that brings people together. In prog, it's probably the fact that it is hard to find others whom you can talk to about some of your favourite music. Tongue One of the striking features for me on this forum is it is so easy to agree to disagree. I have seen, and participated in, long discussions with the participants not in agreement but still seeing fit to discuss. On most internet forums that I have been on, disagreements threaten to balloon and swing out of control but progheads are like economists in that regard.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 06:46
Interesting question my little pear shaped playmate to be sure. I've always thought that distinct from other 'standalone' music phenomena (like say Reggae, Metal, Funk, Dance, Blues, Punk, Pop etc) the very eclectic nature of the beast we call Prog requires a more diverse exposure to the historical and contemporary elements it assimilates to be appreciated to the full.
(Gawd that sound vaingloriousEmbarrassed) Anyways, this perhaps engenders an enthusiast with a broader knowledge base of different musics, hence the relatively relaxed and friendly nature of the forums?

Though watch out for that Atavachron guy (he will eat your young, open your mail and squeezes the toothpaste from the bottom of the tube - allegedly)

Edited by ExittheLemming - October 16 2011 at 06:47
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 06:57
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

the very eclectic nature of the beast we call Prog requires a more diverse exposure to the historical and contemporary elements it assimilates to be appreciated to the full.
(Gawd that sound vaingloriousEmbarrassed) Anyways, this perhaps engenders an enthusiast with a broader knowledge base of different musics, hence the relatively relaxed and friendly nature of the forums?

Yes, without meaning to bring up the old chestnut of pomposity, the difference with prog is it is a very conscious choice for the listener.  So, there seems to be a lot less of prog fanboism - though Toaster Mantis might not agree if he read this? Tongue - compared to what I have seen in other genres.  People are more aware of whatever its limitations may be and, yes, because prog by nature is so eclectic with few enjoying ALL its sub genres, disagreement is more easily accommodated here than in many forums I have been on.  Nobody really wears their identity as progheads as a badge of honour; they know it's just the music that matters at the end of the day.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 07:53
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

What are we all doing here?   Day after day, year after year, this continues to be one of the chattiest and most active music forums on the net.   Is it something about Prog Rock that tends to attract some of the most dedicated and obsessive fans in the world?   Could it be that Prog in its entirety was never properly preserved, and much of the lesser prog was on the verge of extinction before digital technology and worldwide access pulled it from oblivion?   Or maybe the time was ripe for a nostalgic second age of rock for the brain?

What do you think..?

Killing time.  I waste sufficient time here that I am absolutely clueless about any other for ems.  I think the internet does deserve a lot of credit for keeping things alive, but for me it never went into oblivion unless you take to the individual artist level.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 08:19
Did you ever experience the sensation of having discovered something incredibly good, able to change your life and your mind, trying to share this experience with somebody else to hear things like "it's already three minutes that it started when does it finish?" Put on Camel and see them replaced by The Wham? 

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
wjohnd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 08:38
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

People are more aware of whatever its limitations may be and, yes, because prog by nature is so eclectic with few enjoying ALL its sub genres, disagreement is more easily accommodated here than in many forums I have been on.

Nobody really wears their identity as progheads as a badge of honour; they know it's just the music that matters at the end of the day.

If by this you mean - progheads are generally a bit older, bit better educated and more laidback than other music fans  then broadly I'd agree....
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 08:39
Maybe some of those albums released in the prime of this weird and wonderful genre - are just now finally unraveling themselves to people. Remember those threads about growers? 
That sounded kind of silly, but I do think that music or any art for that matter - well the types that require you to listen and watch intently and without preservations - is slow to unfold and shed its mysteries. Maybe we just need to share our favorite music, and our thoughts about it with like-minded folks? Although we are quite the number of members on PA, we still remain anomalies to a large portion of the radio friendly crowds.

Or maybe we´re trying to rekindle the past, educate the youngsters(myself included), share our passion, connect with Arabia and the Philippines, help down and out record companies/bands/artists?
I don´t know what I´m doing half the time, so asking me what we´re all doing is perhaps aching to cockinessLOL
Right now I´m feasting on a succulent pear for lunch. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 10:02
Originally posted by wjohnd wjohnd wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

People are more aware of whatever its limitations may be and, yes, because prog by nature is so eclectic with few enjoying ALL its sub genres, disagreement is more easily accommodated here than in many forums I have been on.

Nobody really wears their identity as progheads as a badge of honour; they know it's just the music that matters at the end of the day.

If by this you mean - progheads are generally a bit older, bit better educated and more laidback than other music fans  then broadly I'd agree....

Yeah, pretty much, you said it better than me.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 10:23
I like progressive music. I don't have any friends close to my actual physical body, so I use this site as a way to talk to people who I have something in common with, whether the topic be the music we like, our status in school, news with families, or whatever.

I'd be so lonely without this place :(
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 12:41
What are we doing here? Simple - we are growing, and preparing the way for the day when progheads take over responsibility for the running of all societiesNuke

Or, it could be that we are a tiny, little bit, obsesssive!Embarrassed
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 12:44
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

I like progressive music. I don't have any friends close to my actual physical body, so I use this site as a way to talk to people who I have something in common with, whether the topic be the music we like, our status in school, news with families, or whatever.

Pretty much this right here.
progistoomainstream View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 12:48
Prog is one of the few genres that I can fully and completely relate to. I feel that most good prog songs are simple in their complexity, short in their length, consise in their exaduration and funny in their seriousness. Prog is just a world of Art, Language and Noise but it holds these values true. That is what "it" is.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 13:03
Music has long  been my obsession Geek;  it is one of the ways I inividualized myself from my family and the less-than-glorious friends of younger days.  This site is a way for me to remain engaged in Prog, which is the core of my listening pleasure.  My tastes in music are eclectic, and much of it is brought together on this site: what we call symphonic prog here, folk, jazz fusion, what we call heavy prog here.  This site also allows me to explore and better appreciate some of my old favorites as well as introduce me to new artists.  By new, I do not mean those that have recently formed, but those new to my experience.  For example, Gryphon folded decades ago, but I just discovered them via the archives a few years prior.

I appreciate the way the question is raised.  Clap  It is not a matter of what defines Prog, for that issue has been raised many times and always devolves into unreconcilable expressions of viewpoints.  This question allows us to present our own views in an atmosphere that allows many to be brought together and perhaps synthesized.  As I frequently say, the questions are just as important as the answers, because the questions frame the way they can be answered.  Each of us has a unique experience and I really enjoy reading them.  There is no one answer to this question, nor should there be.  What is it?  It is many things.  That is what makes this community interesting to me, and why I am still involved.  Handshake
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 13:15
Mostly I'm still here because I'm a pathetic procrastinator, but I do value this place as a means to explore and discover music and communicate with people about music and music related issues.  Like others, I have no one in so-called real life to chat about these kinds of music with. And this is a place where I can be absurd/ inane or acerbic at times and not have to really worry about the consequences.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 13:43
I'm only here for the Shred Room
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 13:52
My friends are not in prog, so i have to find a community somewhere, and here on internet, i can find space to express my passion for prog music. 
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 14:01
Here in the west coast of Ireland it seems like no one knows what Prog is so I feel very isolated. This place makes me feel less alone. It's nice to know I'm not the only person in the world listening to Art Zoyd and Henry Cow! 

Edited by Adams Bolero - October 16 2011 at 14:03
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 14:30

I might get attacked for this, but I think there is a bit of a correlation between people who enjoy discussing, analysing, over-analysing, tearing apart, making polls about, disagreeing about, arguing over, attaching hugely inflated importance to, citing philosophical, political, or social genius within, boycotting, corruptly rating and reviewing by creating multiple accounts, and least of all, listening to their music....... and people who happen to like prog.

Big smile

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2011 at 14:46
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

I might get attacked for this, but I think there is a bit of a correlation between people who enjoy discussing, analysing, over-analysing, tearing apart, making polls about, disagreeing about, arguing over, attaching hugely inflated importance to, citing philosophical, political, or social genius within, boycotting, corruptly rating and reviewing by creating multiple accounts, and least of all, listening to their music....... and people who happen to like prog.

Big smile

Did you mean that everyone that like prog doesn't listen to their music?... Or that showing your love for prog music is a sign of sickness?...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>