40 [43.01%]
53 [56.99%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 08:08
It's got to be Phideaux, so many great albums from the guy and his band.

I really like some Radiohead but Thom Yorke's voice is a nightmare that even I find difficult to overcome.  Instrumentally they can be great but the vocals are a real struggle for me.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 12:07
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I've been listening to music of both on youtube since I don't know either really well, but I can say that while I can enjoy Phideaux (though it generally sounds rather too derivativeto me, but accomplished), I am much preferring Radiohead.

If you ever have 45 or 90 minutes to spare, I think you could do worse than spending them on checking out the peak period of a stadiumfilling alt. rock band band that got sick of themselves and took inspiration from kraut, kosmishe, new technology + different avantgarde composers and presented it to the mainstream. 

There's some straightforward rock (still not the generic kind) here as well, but there's larger quantities of experiments with atmosphere, percussion, space and electronics. I notice I'm making Radiohead sound more out there and abstract than it actually is, they never let go of their pop-sensibilities.

Bonuses: B-sides from the Pyramid Song EP

Thanks, I have only listened to the first one you posted so far (Kid A) and I did like it.  A very interesting background/ on the band you provide.

Edited by Logan - October 19 2011 at 12:10
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 12:51
Well this is disappointing.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:08
Phideaux by FAR
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:10
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

As was the Kayo Dot one.

Whilst Radiohead has been a very successful band with mainstream success, the generally much less known Phideaux is likely to appeal considerably more, generally, to the mainstream Prog rocker. I do find it rather a shame that most here, apparently, don't appreciate much experimentation; prefer vanilla music.  A lot of proggers don't step out much from a narrow comfort zone and prefer music that plays it safe and meets their typical expectations.

I might have expected a more progressive mindset from people into progressive rock at one time, but not for a long time.

Of course it doesn't mean that various people who choose Phideaux aren't into experimentation and more experimental forms of music, or alternative music.

Edited by Logan - October 19 2011 at 13:13
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:14
I like Radiohead--although their over the top conceit (like Fripps) is a turn off---they want to believe they are so original--and they have created a good sound---but I hear Alice in Chains, Laurie Anderson and a million other influences in their music ---maybe I'm being too critical but seeing them recently on Colbert ---their hipster image was pretentious. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:18
Neither Phideaux nor Radiohead are that original, but I'm enjoying the way that Radiohead has incorporated their influences more (and it has influences that I'm more into). And, just cause you mentioned her, I love Laurie Anderson's Big Science.

Edited by Logan - October 19 2011 at 13:20
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:31
Again, Phideaux sounds like Weird Al. Doesn't anybody else hear the silly, inconsequentially nasally singing? Makes me want to slug him in the face.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:33
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Again, Phideaux sounds like Weird Al. Doesn't anybody else hear the silly, inconsequentially nasally singing? Makes me want to slug him in the face.

Speaking of slugging in the face, it looks like Phideaux is giving Radiohead a right a**-whipping.  Tongue
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:45
As if this inane popularity poll matters a bit. :P

Phideaux's music just doesn't seem...err...and this is highly subjective...important to me. It's like the guy playing and wrting the songs isn't out to make important, special, meaningful, or idiosyncratic music. His personality is merely a mirror of his influences.

But with Radiohead, they took their influences and injected their own personality into it. And goddamn, Thom Yorke beats the pants offa his nasally, non-resonant stuff. I'm no fan of any band, but Kid A and OK Computer have touched my heart. When I hear something like Windeath Softstar it just seems silly, unimportant, unenlightened, and emotionally ignorant when I compare it to the harrowing, spirit-crushing 'How to Disappear Completely', or the oppressive, trip-shock of 'Idioteque'. Or when I jump around with The Dance of Eternal Ice, it just seems limp and trivial compared to the triple-wash intricacy of 'Paranoid Android'.

To me, a band like Phideaux just seems dumb and kitschy - full of silly long songs that don't go anywhere. But bands like Radiohead aren't interested in all that. They'll make three songs and put them into the running time of one. Phideaux will take one song and stretch it out obnoxiously into the length of three. Just seems to me that Phideaux's heart isn't in making art or magic - just playing the same old bullsh*t we've heard for forty f**k years. Why should I waste my time with just another prog rock band, when I could be listening to songs that make me cry, weep, and think? Why, when I can just as easily listen to music that is more thematic, more congruous, less long-winded, more concise, and less repetitive? 

I don't have any major problem with the band other than the almost jarringly derivative manner in which he conducts himself (oh and the sh*tty, heartless singing). He falls under the 'neat' category - not important, not deep or heartbreaking, not extremely resonant and life-shattering. When I feel sick in my heart of hearts and the darkness of life seeps into me, when I am having an anxiety attack and crying myself to sleep, do you really think I'd play something as trivial as Doomsday Afternoon to make myself feel better? Hell naw, it'll be Kid A or Rain Dogs or Songs in the Key of Life or Dark Side of the Moon or Dirt. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:51

As was the Kayo Dot one.

Whilst Radiohead has been a very successful band with mainstream success, the generally much less known Phideaux is likely to appeal considerably more, generally, to the mainstream Prog rocker. I do find it rather a shame that most here, apparently, don't appreciate much experimentation; prefer vanilla music.  A lot of proggers don't step out much from a narrow comfort zone and prefer music that plays it safe and meets their typical expectations.

I might have expected a more progressive mindset from people into progressive rock at one time, but not for a long time.

Of course it doesn't mean that various people who choose Phideaux aren't into experimentation and more experimental forms of music, or alternative music.

I think that a lot of this is very true, and hits the mark as far as the majority of prog fans are concerned.

The fact is that Phideaux is a "traditional" symphonic prog artist, and that, I would venture to suggest, creates music that is closer to the hearts of most of the visitors to this site. If Radiohead had either ceased at OK Computer, or made similar albums, then they would probably have won hands down. As it is, their more experimental stuff has clearly alienated a lot of prog fans who like it symphonic and bombastic.

All this written as someone who voted for Phideaux and who loves his prog symphonic and bombastic!!LOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 13:57
They know who Radiohead is on The Big Bang Theory. 

I prefer Coldplay over Radiohead though, and both remind me of U2.  I can't say that I consider them to be anything more than mildly what I would consider to be progressive rock.  Phideaux may be retro or derivative, but they have the sound that draws me to progressive rock.

Edited by rushfan4 - October 19 2011 at 13:57
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 14:01

Phideaux's music just doesn't seem...err...and this is highly subjective...important to me. It's like the guy playing and wrting the songs isn't out to make important, special, meaningful, or idiosyncratic music. His personality is merely a mirror of his influences.

But with Radiohead, they took their influences and injected their own personality into it. And goddamn, Thom Yorke beats the pants offa his nasally, non-resonant stuff. I'm no fan of any band, but Kid A and OK Computer have touched my heart. When I hear something like Windeath Softstar it just seems silly, unimportant, unenlightened, and emotionally ignorant when I compare it to the harrowing, spirit-crushing 'How to Disappear Completely', or the oppressive, trip-shock of 'Idioteque'. Or when I jump around with The Dance of Eternal Ice, it just seems limp and trivial compared to the triple-wash intricacy of 'Paranoid Android'.

To me, a band like Phideaux just seems dumb and kitschy - full of silly long songs that don't go anywhere. But bands like Radiohead aren't interested in all that. They'll make three songs and put them into the running time of one. Phideaux will take one song and stretch it out obnoxiously into the length of three. Just seems to me that Phideaux's heart isn't in making art or magic - just playing the same old bullsh*t we've heard for forty f**k years. Why should I waste my time with just another prog rock band, when I could be listening to songs that make me cry, weep, and think? Why, when I can just as easily listen to music that is more thematic, more congruous, less long-winded, more concise, and less repetitive? 

I don't have any major problem with the band other than the almost jarringly derivative manner in which he conducts himself (oh and the sh*tty, heartless singing). He falls under the 'neat' category - not important, not deep or heartbreaking, not extremely resonant and life-shattering. When I feel sick in my heart of hearts and the darkness of life seeps into me, when I am having an anxiety attack and crying myself to sleep, do you really think I'd play something as trivial as Doomsday Afternoon to make myself feel better? Hell naw, it'll be Kid A or Rain Dogs or Songs in the Key of Life or Dark Side of the Moon or Dirt. 

Moshkito, is that you?
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 14:04
Who is Moshkito? I'm Dustin. :P
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 14:49
I enjoy plenty of experimentation; I just do not like Radiohead.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 14:58
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Moshkito, is that you?

LOL
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 15:17
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Moshkito, is that you?

LOL

The first line could be, but after that it's missing far ... too ... many ellipses....

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

As was the Kayo Dot one.

I think that a lot of this is very true, and hits the mark as far as the majority of prog fans are concerned.

The fact is that Phideaux is a "traditional" symphonic prog artist, and that, I would venture to suggest, creates music that is closer to the hearts of most of the visitors to this site. If Radiohead had either ceased at OK Computer, or made similar albums, then they would probably have won hands down. As it is, their more experimental stuff has clearly alienated a lot of prog fans who like it symphonic and bombastic.

All this written as someone who voted for Phideaux and who loves his prog symphonic and bombastic!!LOL

Nothing of substance to add, but I was once more of a traditional prog fan myself, and really liked bombastic symph, but my tastes shifted.  I can't say I'm that big on Radiohead yet, but just getting to know them pretty well now thanks to the youtube clips above... I did like this song very much off In Rainbows.

Edited by Logan - October 19 2011 at 15:19
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 16:15

Who is Moshkito? I'm Dustin. :P

Great that long post of yours. Very close to how I feel. Not at all resembling Moshkito.

Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 18:28
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I prefer Coldplay over Radiohead though, and both remind me of U2. 
HAHAHAHAHAHA
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2011 at 18:31
Radiohead by a large margin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>