Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJourney : prog vs AOR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: which Journey do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [34.78%]
15 [65.22%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 16:33
Early Journey had some good prog, but Steve Perry and the pop Journey is far better.  Nothing wrong with well-crafted and well-executed commercial music.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 16:42
Oh yes.  I definitely hear the 80's Rush sound in Only Solutions.  I'd never noticed that before.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 18:20
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

This is a pretty cool Journey song from their debut album Kohoutek.  A title like that might fit in just fine on a Magma album, although the music is completely different.

I don't find it completely musically different; it actually has a VERY Zeuhlish vibe to me (though the lead guitar makes is sound more significantly different). I like it.

Indeed. It reminds me a lot of Jean Paul Prat's music. So not Magma, but Zeuhl.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 18:39
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Amazingly AOR is winning though. It's one of the mysteries of the universe.Confused
sometimes you have to admit that prog is worse than pop.
To put it simply, there is no emotion in prog Journey.
With Steve Smith on drums and Steve Perry on vocals, this band could only IMPROVE (a drummer coming from jazz circles, and a vocalist whose inspiration comes from Sam Cooke).

An album like 'Frontiers' is excellent AOR, and blows away everything they released pre-Perry.

and a song that reminds a lot 80s Rush :

Obviously good stuff, even if not my kind of music of choice. Thanks for the samples.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 20:30
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

This is a pretty cool Journey song from their debut album Kohoutek.  A title like that might fit in just fine on a Magma album, although the music is completely different.

I don't find it completely musically different; it actually has a VERY Zeuhlish vibe to me (though the lead guitar makes is sound more significantly different). I like it.

Indeed. It reminds me a lot of Jean Paul Prat's music. So not Magma, but Zeuhl.

It reminded me most of Jean-Paul Prat's Masal too -- neat that we heard the same (the opening is very reminscent of Masal).  I'm a big fan of that album, but still don't the have later one.  And when I heard Jean-Paul Prat's Masal, it reminded me more of the Zeuhl bands such as Paga and Weidorje, and Zao, than Magma, (which is more why I thought Masal on the Zeuhl side, but I guess any Zeuhl fan will get it when they hear it).  But of course they all have stylistic similarities which is why Prat, Eskaton etc. style can be named after a Vander construct (Zeuhl - celestial music).  That Journey track does remind me of some more, rather Offering like Magma music, and stuff like Felicite Thosz (hmm, maybe not that one -- I don't listen to Zeuhl as much as some years ago when I was a completist).

Incidentally, I considerably prefer the live version of that track that I posted to the studio one.

Edited by Logan - November 15 2011 at 20:32
Just a fanboy passin' through.
luchenzo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 22:51
I wish they would intigrate more progressive elements into their music. Even though I like all phases of the band, I find them more interesting musically when they make the music more than just the background.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Srj33dGszoU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1tYSeyqaJmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wid73ikVojc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UERfCv5QO9g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_HEO8bOAhIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 00:00
I've heard one pre-Perry album (Next) and enjoyed it.  I actually haven't heard a Journey album with Steve Perry, but I have the 2 disc greatest hits album, and it's much more powerful that Next, imo.  I'd much rather listen to Faithfully than The Hustler.  
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12