Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich Prog Band Made The Best Pop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2012 at 20:19
I'd say Peter Gabriel, Jon Anderson (like Jon and Vangelis) and the Residents.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2012 at 20:20
The Residents was a joke.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 08:35
A lot of Clouds' writing was progressive pop, and The Clouds Scrapbook is in many ways the definitive crossover album, fitting from the group who, as 1-2-3, set out the blueprint for prog in the first place. But having said all that, I dont really think they classify as a truly Prog band, stuck somewhere on the bridge between the two genres.
cacha71 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 15:17
Talking Heads - Little Creatures.  Also like Talk Talk.

Edited by cacha71 - March 14 2012 at 16:02
http://www.last.fm/group/Progressive+Folk
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 15:28
Cardiacs. Perhaps the quintessential hybrid of pop and progressive tendencies. In the same vein I would also mention Talk Talk, although their sound was more obvious in the pop side of things.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Riuku View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 09:24
Tool and even more so A Perfect Circle.

Circa Survive with their release "Blue Sky Noise" and Mars Volta with "Octahedron."

Steven Wilson with "Insurgentes."

Blackfield.
Riuku View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 09:28
This Town Needs Guns is Math pop and it's absolutely incredible.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 09:37
I may sound like a broken record by now, but I think Earth and Fire were one hell of a pop band, in addition to being prog-worthy.   They released a great succession of singles in the 70s.  I'll shut up about them now.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2012 at 09:57
Pink Floyd made one of the classic psychedelic albums of 1967(plus a top ten pop single), and had one of the biggest US radio hits in "Money" (as well as one of the biggest selling albums of all time), and then had a Number 1 hit with a disco song with children singing on it.
At the 2005 Live8 concert they were the only band who didn't need an introduction. 

Pop = popular
rotten hound of the burnie crew
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 08:11
This is obviously a personal taste question.  I'd say ELP, Yes, and Renaissance. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

ProgEpics View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2012 at 17:25
ELO, Chicago and supertramp by far were the best hook writers that also could play their instruments well.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
lipclown View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 14:37
Genesis and It Bites is what I'm thinking.Wink
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2012 at 19:04
Alan Parsons Project: Even their simplest albums, were elaborate due to the  clean production and wonderful orchestral arrangements by Andrew Powell.

Iván.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 07:25
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Alan Parsons Project: Even their simplest albums, were elaborate due to the  clean production and wonderful orchestral arrangements by Andrew Powell.

Iván.

I agree  Great blend of prog and pop even as late as Ammonia Avenue.  Often in the same song.   Also agree on Mike Oldfield and Moody Blues.

To mention one that has not been mentioned yet, ANYONE's DAUGHTER from Germany  Their self titled and Neu Sterne in particular straddle the line very well
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 13:14
Which Prog Band Made The Best Pop?

Isn't this like asking which sick person has the best disease?

Seriously , I have always been disappointed by prog bands who go pop.  Why?

Do I hate pop?  No.  I enjoy a lot of pop.  Todd Rundgren , Elton John, Alice Cooper, etc...

Why then?  Ok:

There is no shortage of pop artists or songs.  Prog is a very small subset of music.  If a pop artist changes styles
there will be thousands of popsters to step in and make more pop.

If a prog band goes pop, it casues a large hole which is almost never replaced and the prog world suffers a great loss.

It isn't like the prog artists were starving and needed to feed their families.

Genesis were packing stadiums with prog songs
RUSH were packing stadiums and selling tons of records with prog.
YES...  same thing. 

Oh, you say times change?  Yeah times always change.  An artist needs to stay fresh and original no matter if it is
prog or pop or country or whatever.  So the argument that a band must stay "fresh" and change to pop is specious. Pat Metheney has always changed & grown yet stayed true to being a musician.

Pop music is a sell out.  A very rich one, but still a sell out.  Pop music takes almost no energy or effort to compose and is a waste for a gifted musician.  If I sound judgemental here, please ponder the Genesis song: "I Can't Dance"
I rest my case. Smile  When it comes to pop, as a musician myself, I am not afraid to call pop music out for what it is.
Do people like it? Sure. Great!  That is popularity.  Being popular leads to fame & money & power, but there is no connection from popularity to music.  That is what I am saying.

Like I said, the world has millions of pop acts.  When a prog act goes pop, a big part of prog dies.

So I ask?  Which corpse do you find most attractive?

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 13:16
In the Prog family, I like avant-pop/ art pop the best -- Slapp Happy, Art Bears music.... A particular favourite of mine is After Dinner from Japan.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 13:21
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Which Prog Band Made The Best Pop?

Isn't this like asking which sick person has the best disease?

Seriously , I have always been disappointed by prog bands who go pop.  Why?

Do I hate pop?  No.  I enjoy a lot of pop.  Todd Rundgren , Elton John, Alice Cooper, etc...

Why then?  Ok:

There is no shortage of pop artists or songs.  Prog is a very small subset of music.  If a pop artist changes styles
there will be thousands of popsters to step in and make more pop.

If a prog band goes pop, it casues a large hole which is almost never replaced and the prog world suffers a great loss.

It isn't like the prog artists were starving and needed to feed their families.

Genesis were packing stadiums with prog songs
RUSH were packing stadiums and selling tons of records with prog.
YES...  same thing. 

Oh, you say times change?  Yeah times always change.  An artist needs to stay fresh and original no matter if it is
prog or pop or country or whatever.  So the argument that a band must stay "fresh" and change to pop is specious. Pat Metheney has always changed & grown yet stayed true to being a musician.

Pop music is a sell out.  A very rich one, but still a sell out.  Pop music takes almost no energy or effort to compose and is a waste for a gifted musician.  If I sound judgemental here, please ponder the Genesis song: "I Can't Dance"
I rest my case. Smile  When it comes to pop, as a musician myself, I am not afraid to call pop music out for what it is.
Do people like it? Sure. Great!  That is popularity.  Being popular leads to fame & money & power, but there is no connection from popularity to music.  That is what I am saying.

Like I said, the world has millions of pop acts.  When a prog act goes pop, a big part of prog dies.

So I ask?  Which corpse do you find most attractive?

Dennis, calm down old chap, you'll do yourself an injury.

Please remember, prog is a form of popular music, nothing more, nothing less.

As for the bands you quote:

Genesis started selling records by the truckload and massive arenas after Hackett left. Prior to that, they were a successful, but not commercially profitable band.

Rush started doing the same after Moving Pictures. Prior to that, they were adored by sad buggers like myself, but not by the masses.

Yes are the exception. They were massive in the 1970's, but then upset everyone with TFTO, and reverted to a relatively successful band before gaining a new lease of life with 90125, a commercial album.

Making popular music is not selling out. It is just becoming more popular, and, as you say, some pop is jolly good. Likewise, some pop/prog is too - I would go as far to say that I prefer prog pop to ordinary pop. It's better played for a start.

I don't care for the I Can't Dance track. But No Son Of Mine is a classic piece of music, and the album is, actually, a damn good one.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2012 at 16:00
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Dennis, calm down old chap, you'll do yourself an injury.

Please remember, prog is a form of popular music, nothing more, nothing less.

As for the bands you quote:

Genesis started selling records by the truckload and massive arenas after Hackett left. Prior to that, they were a successful, but not commercially profitable band.

Rush started doing the same after Moving Pictures. Prior to that, they were adored by sad buggers like myself, but not by the masses.

Yes are the exception. They were massive in the 1970's, but then upset everyone with TFTO, and reverted to a relatively successful band before gaining a new lease of life with 90125, a commercial album.

Making popular music is not selling out. It is just becoming more popular, and, as you say, some pop is jolly good. Likewise, some pop/prog is too - I would go as far to say that I prefer prog pop to ordinary pop. It's better played for a start.

I don't care for the I Can't Dance track. But No Son Of Mine is a classic piece of music, and the album is, actually, a damn good one.

Damn, I was just getting warmed up. Big smile

I can't speak for England in the 1970's but I can speak for New York City, USA in 1977.  Genesis played a sold out Madison Square Garden to 20,000 screaming lunatics (each night) during the Wind & Wutherinig tours.

I saw RUSH before Moving pictures; the arena was packed with 18,000 insane fans as RUSH played songs like Xanadu in their entirety, afterward the crowd shook the building.

Pop has always been the opiate for the masses, mostly for those who don't play or don't want to "listen" to music but want to experience an "event"  kinda like "Euro Disney". Wink

Pop is not a disease solely for Prog. Pop has infected Jazz as well and all other forms of music.

I don't mean to be so hard on pop.  But it does seem to come at the expense of music not in addition to it. 
To a cheapened commercial extent, I should think the following is a good example.

The most famous "pop" singer in India, who has BILLIONS of fans, which puts to shame ALL of England & USA's pop acts combined, does not even sing!   She mouth's the words!  Because her & her producers know, its not about music.  Its about fame & the event & popularity.

Now perhaps we have a disagreement on terms.

Does a song have to be long and extended to be a good song?.  Of course not, any musician can compose a good song, length is not a requirement, or even the amount of soloing.  Some great short songs:

Carol King - JazzMan
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
The Who - Going Mobile
YES - Wonderous Stories
Guess Who - These Eyes

Alan Parson is a great example.  He made short songs from day one, but good ones, not even sure if his stuff is prog, who cares/needs labels?  When he tried to get into the dance clubs, a blatant attempt at commercializing, his music reflected that and went into the rubbish bin.

In addition, most pop music is written by the same group of commercial composers and in the same style as to be transposed quite nicely & commercially to whatever pop diva de jour, whether it be , Madonna or Britney Spears or Shakira or Beyonce. Same formulaic music, just the fashion is diferent.  I'm trying hard to forget the world wide plague that was known as "Spice Girls"...  yuck.

About 90125 YES... people seem to forget that 75% of the crowds at those shows were prior YES fans.  Just a reality check, before we give Trevor & MTV too much credit for saving YES.

Man, you really got me going on this "pop" thing.  Big smile    LOL    Tongue  

Oh, about Genesis pop tunes.  I rather enjoy Jesus He Loves Me, it is catchy, but that and the other pop tunes from that CD have no staying power and become quite annoying after a few listens, why???

Because they were intentionally constucted to pop song standards.  Strict rules of pop formula. Unlike the short songs like Harold The Barrel which were written from inspiration & creativity mostly, it just turned out "Harold" was short.

The strict rules of pop:

Verse-Chorus-Verse,
Repeat the "hook" endlessly
Never under any conditions solo for more than four or eight bars

When an artist takes his/her creativity and crams it into the above tiny box of rules, well the result
is torturous after some listens

Somebody put it best.  Only a pop tune can get you on the very first listen, but then it wears out almost immediately
and you never want to hear it again after a while.  Then you need a new pop tune to repeat the cycle.

I think music on any level (prog, jazz, country, blues, etc...) should aspire to just a little more, that is all I am trying to say.
FunkyHomoSapien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 09:30
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

A lot of Clouds' writing was progressive pop, and The Clouds Scrapbook is in many ways the definitive crossover album, fitting from the group who, as 1-2-3, set out the blueprint for prog in the first place. But having said all that, I dont really think they classify as a truly Prog band, stuck somewhere on the bridge between the two genres.
Yep
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234