Topic ClosedGran Turismo Veloce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gran Turismo Veloce
    Posted: November 08 2011 at 15:20

GRAN TURISMO VELOCE formed in 2008 in Grosseto, Tuscany. The band's name is a direct homage to the famous Italian sportscar whose popularity spread throughout Europe in the 1970s, and the fact that in those years Italian progressive rock was doing the same. The band takes their influence from those 1970s prog bands and blends it with modern electronic, jazzy rock, and even some metal mood. The released their first EP In un solo brivido and were playing their songs across Italy.

I got in touch with the band and here is their story.

#######################################################################################

First of all, let us thank you for the interview!

Your biography has been covered in your ProgArchives profile so let's bypass the biography details. But which bands were you influenced by and why did you choose that name ?

Well, our influences are to be found in music itself, I mean: our personal musical taste is so different that we draw off from everything from J.S.Bach to Meshuggah, with a focus on ‘70s prog, as those years represent a huge experimental period in which new sounds and new melodies came to light. That’s the reason for our name: Gran Turismo is an appellative born in ‘70s here in Italy and used all over the world to define a comfortable and sporty car; we think that is something Italian to be proud of, as we hope for our music!

How is the local music scene in your area now ? Is it easy for you to get any gigs ?

Music scene in Italy is a big mess, in our area…it just doesn’t exist We played here in Grosseto just twice in three years!! We usually have to drive 100/150 miles off play.. Unfortunately there’s no much space for new bands as festivals and live clubs often prefer to have a tribute band or a big name, so figure it out how can be for a prog band! The sad thing is that having lots of great reviews of our album in Italy and abroad is not helping to increase our live activity.  

Over to your two releases. Please tell us more about your In Un Solo Brivido EP from 2008. How is the availability of this EP ?

Well, as a matter of fact, we like to call “In un solo brivido” an EP, even if it was a self produced well-made demo. We intended to record it as good as we could, to promote us during our live acts, or sending it to live clubs, booking agencies or labels. It has not been distributed anywhere…maybe it’ll become a memorabilia for those who bought it for 5 euros!!  

Then you had a three years long record break. What happened during these three years ?

We had some problems with line up: drummers seem to be the our main internal issue! By the way, we played all over Italy trying to spread our music as much as we could, looking for a label who could help us. Then finally went Samuele Santanna and Loris Furlan from Lizard Records: we might define them as our personal Charons in the hell of modern prog!

You returned earlier this year with the highly praised Di Carne, Di Anima album. Please tell us more about this album.

“Di carne, di anima” is the son of that EP, as 5 out of the 8 tracks are the same songs, even if we re-recorded many parts and re-mixed and re-mastered all the material. When we met Samuele in that lucky july, we had the 5 songs from our EP and some new songs that wouldn’t fit in a complete CD. So we decided to write down 3 new songs, dismantling and re-assembling some old ideas. We’re very proud of our carpenter-style work, as from that work “Quantocàmia” and “L’indice e l’occhio” came to light. “Misera Venere (reprise)” is a great intuition by Samuele, in fact the intro is a direct homage to his “Ravensad” project, through the initial bass line similar to “The Raven” by APP.

We would love to mention the artwork in which took part two friends of ours that are Francesco Serino which is a great painter and poet, and Francesco Rossi which is the great photographer who transformed Serino’s painting in something realistic, something made “of flesh and soul”.

What is the lyrical topics in your songs ?

We try to avoid absurd topics, like it was back in ‘70s. We can sing about love ( Misera Venere and Misera Venere (reprise) may be seen as the rise and fall of the perfect girlfriend) as well as we can sing about the natural human needing of fears (La Paura). “Quantocàmia” is the sicilian slang for “How many trucks!!”. As you can see we don’t take ourselves too seriously!

For those of us unfamiliar with your music; how would you describe you music and which bands would you compare yourself with ?

We don’t think that “progressive” is the best way to define us. We were defined in a review as “complex rock” and we like this definition best. We try to maintain the way to arrange our music in a ‘70s way, keeping sounds like Minimoog and Taurus as well as the “standard song” template. We like the Alan Parsons way to create music: he walks with no fear from epic and symphonic to electronic music. That’s mainly what we do: just what we like best without any particular reference. ,and we think that it’s all hearable in the album…Someone said that we might be even radio-friendly!

What have you been up to since the release of the Di Carne, Di Anima album earlier this year, what is your current status and what are your plans for this year and beyond ?

We sent a couple of thousands of email a month to find a promoter or a booking agency to increase our live activity..but it seems that they never check their emails…meanwhile, we are writing songs for our second album, which will probably be a concept about popular fairy tales: you can listen to “The selfish giant” and “Alice in wonderland” on youtube. We wrote these two songs in Italian, but we’re thinking about writing the album in English..What’s your advice?

To wrap up this interview, is there anything you want to add to this interview?

There’s lot of good, brand new music all around the world which is just awaiting to be discovered.  
We dream of a cultural revolution, something that will bring back some soul to the music business…People should listen to big monsters like Pink Floyd or Genesis as well as to fresh bands, but it seems that a nice pair of tits sell much more than good ideas. Damn, we don’t have tits!

Thank you to the band for this interview

Their PA profile is here and their homepage is here

seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 15:58

Exciting new band that caused quite a stir when they showed up at the villa - in other words the RPI guys really like GTV! But why is their CD so hard to find?

Italian lyrics please... just my opinion.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 16:01
Great interview!

I've heard this album, and it's a bit of a knockout! But I agree with Seventhsojourn, it has been VERY hard finding any online stores that have it in stock

Personally, I'd LOVE a vinyl release of it!
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 16:04
I vote Italian, too, for what it's worth.

Thanks for the interview, and many more thanks for the music!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 16:09
I got my copy from Greg Walker at Synphonic.  First I downloaded it from eMusic (when we were evaluating it for the website), but I liked it so much I bought the CD.  So count me for two sales!  Big smile

My Gnosis Ratings

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 16:17
Todd!

Oh, I buy stacks of records/cd's from Greg Walker every month or two lol! I didn't notice he had it on his website, or from his update newsletters!!

I'll get right onto that! :)

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - November 08 2011 at 16:18
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 16:26
ABB, the first time I tried to buy it from him, he had sold out.  But he got a bunch from Lizard a few months ago.  You should be good to go!  Thumbs Up

Spinning it right now, what a great album.  Look forward to the future!

My Gnosis Ratings

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 20:35
Hey guys, great album!!!

And let me join the chorus:  Keep the Italian vocals!!!!   Screw English lyrics, we can get those from the other 97%.  Approve

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 04:16
Like Aussie, I buy a lot of stuff from and check the Synphonic site several times each week and I don't recall ever seeing it listed, but yeah I'll specifically ask Greg if he has it. Thanks Todd. But this could be a problem that maybe the band's label could look at. I'm sure we're not the only guys that have been frustrated looking for the album.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 07:18
Great interview... and this band is eclectic prog, not RPI, byh teh way.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 11:23
Okay, I've tried posting a couple of pictures here - unsuccessfully, and probably just as well or I'd possibly be looking at a warning from Admin. But do we really need to have this horsepi** in the interview section? There's already plenty of this destructive in-fighting on the site, take your pick from Vangelis, Plant or Priest - bands like GTV don't deserve it here as well.  
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 11:28
Cesar, I think there is sometimes a fine line between the two, as RPI is at its best very eclectic.  At about the same time that we evaluated Gran Turismo Veloce, we also evaluated Catafalchi del Cyber.  Gran Turismo Veloce we included in RPI because of the many references to classic Italian prog as part of their many influences and great melodies.  Catafalchi del Cyber we moved to Eclectic (where they are still awaiting evaluation), because they had no discernible real Italian vibe.  

That was my thinking, anyway, and I'm sure the others on the team had similar thoughts.  But I understand that as long as there are different sub-genres on PA there will always be differences of opinion as to who sits best where.  For my part, I'm just glad this great band is on the site, and I hope we can give them the exposure they deserve.

My Gnosis Ratings

vanzan61 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 01:46
GTV's album can be easily found at www.gtmusic.it  .
I had it writing to them at [email protected]
Very kind people and very good service.
GranTurismoVeloce View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 08:44
Hi All!

Thank you for the kind words...it's quite impressive to read such astonished impressions.
It seems that our work it's somehow appreciated Tongue
We really would love to increase our live activity, but it seems that even festivals there in U.S. have a full mail box ...

About vinyl...we're thinking about it, re-mastered in a less compressed way than  the cd is..we're asking for some quotes...;)

Any other suggestion?

By the way

You can buy for the physical copy of the CD also directly from us 

just mail [email protected]

The sad thing is that shipping quotes to U.S.A. are quite expensive (about 10$)

Edited by GranTurismoVeloce - November 11 2011 at 09:01
www.granturismoveloce.com

Click To Play "Di Carne, Di Anima"
http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/3274944   
gandalfsproject View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 08:42
I'll bring this topic back up because Gran Turismo Veloce now have an Indiegogo campaign going on for their second album!

Read more about this here: http://igg.me/at/gtv/x/4927539
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 08:52
Great band, their debut album was one of the best modern RPI albums, still listen to it all the time!

I'll definitely be pre-ordering the CD!
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 09:59
Great interview. Now after having seen them live in Baja Prog I know they are a truly talented and cool band. Kudos for GTV!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 11:55
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Great interview!

I've heard this album, and it's a bit of a knockout! But I agree with Seventhsojourn, it has been VERY hard finding any online stores that have it in stock

Personally, I'd LOVE a vinyl release of it!

They are great!. Fortunately I live in Grosseto and I've seen them live. Unfortunately not a great show but at least I've enjoyed of them live! And I bought their CD.

Good Band
 Post Reply Post Reply