Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedToto vs Nightwish vs Metallica vs Iron Maidon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: which is most related to prog, technicaly most skilled, most daring.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [21.05%]
1 [5.26%]
4 [21.05%]
10 [52.63%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toto vs Nightwish vs Metallica vs Iron Maidon
    Posted: November 11 2011 at 10:54
i am very much a HUUUUUUGE Toto addict, they are the most important band to me musicaly.

i like the other three bands also, but to me Toto brings more variation and more flexible as unit.

also this also is a poll about one band against bands that have had long debates to how much they belonge in related section, im not argueing or have opinions but how is Nightwish more progressive related then Toto, i dont doubt Nightwishs skill as a band but they can't play half the styles or play any music as naturally as Toto,
Toto is probably the most technical pop/rock ensamble i history almoust all their songs are very intricate, full of hte best instrumentation in pop/rock, and they play all from jazz/funk/world/r&b/disco/hard rock/fusion/soul/ballads/neo prog

Toto is by fare the most misunderstood band in rock, they never took themself all to seriously, yes they are serious musicians, and they create seriosu music but they dont take them self much serious, they are goofy, they have fun, they play upon styles with fun, and they put much energy into make any album a trip to all styles of popular music, in 12 studio albums they have abruptly played around 15 styles of popular music, each style as confident but with the Toto sound all integrated,

and i will never end my Toto worship in PA, so some threads will be made, but i will assure to not drown you down in too much, but i think serious musicians desrves some threads on a prog rock site, as prog rock is about musiciansship and you will be hard pushed to find a band with more musicianship then Toto.

Edited by aginor - November 11 2011 at 10:56
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 10:59
Maiden. Can't bring myself to ever vote for.....toto....
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 11:00
http://images.wikia.com/lyricwiki/images/6/67/Toto_Members.jpg

http://www.sweetslyrics.com/images/img_gal/10232_Nightwish+up_lrg.jpg

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Celebrities/M_R/Me_Mib/Metallica/1/metallica-ulrich-hatfield01.jpg

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_band/2629.jpg

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 11:06

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 11:12
Metallica/Maiden/Toto/Nightwish.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 11:35

Nightwish is the less prog-related of these bands. They are sort of speed/power metal to my ears. Their inclusion in PA is a complete nonsense. 

Metallica are related to NWOBHM (there is a ripoff of a Saxon guitar solo on 'seek and destroy') and punk.
King Diamond was a huge influence, and his prog-inclined concept-albums certainly inspired Metallica. Also, technicality played an important role in thrash metal back in those days (Voivod, Coroner, Watchtower, Metal Church...) so there was probably an emulation to keep on top of these bands.

Iron Maiden is NWOBHM. But they like to show their skills in instrumental songs (the first two albums) and some of their songs have long developments that bring them together to prog-rock songs.

TOTO are often refered to as an AOR band, although one has to recognize that they are far more diverse. I was surprised to hear them on a french prog-rock radio broadcast, but the speaker explained that on each of their albums, they always play one or two songs in a jazz-rock or prog-rock vein, which gave credit to their play on a prog-rock broadcast. The song that went to air was of course the suite "better world". Their diversity was already there during the Porcaro years, but I think it enhanced when Luke took the lead and hired Simon Phillips to replace Jeff on drums. An album like 'mindfields' is the quintessence of their diversity. I think they are "progressive" in the same way bands like Dixie Dregs or mr Bungle are : blend a lot of various genres in one album. 
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 11:39
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

http://images.wikia.com/lyricwiki/images/6/67/Toto_Members.jpg

http://www.sweetslyrics.com/images/img_gal/10232_Nightwish+up_lrg.jpg

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Celebrities/M_R/Me_Mib/Metallica/1/metallica-ulrich-hatfield01.jpg

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_band/2629.jpg

If only for the appearance, TOTO are the most prog-related of all the above.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 11:45
I'm happy to say I don't know very much Toto ... 'Africa' to be precise and I prefer Pail DiAnno era Maiden, Metallica bore me to tears now, though I did like them back in the day. However, I do like Nightwish, even with Tarja's cod-operatic mangling of the English langwich and I am really looking forward to the release of Imaginaerum in a few weeks. I know they get panned here for being a Symphonic Metal band and not a Prog Metal band but I find Holopainen's compositions to be more "Cinematic" than "Symphonic" and have always seemed to relate to emotions behind a narrative like a film score rather than as stand-alone pieces of music ... I guess what I'm trying say here is the symphonic elements within their arrangements are more than just embelishment, something the 'clone' bands miss.
What?
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 18:10
Maiden.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 01:21
Haven't heard much Toto, though what I have I really like. So this is really a Metallica v/s Maiden poll and because Metallica made the more brilliant albums, imo, I vote for them.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 01:59
Iron Maiden fits your poll question specs. Metallica has one song that should be included here One.......That's it. I enjoy Toto but not for any prog values, I don't hear any. And Nightwish....ehhhh really?

Up the irons!
Redug View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 23:28
Only One? What about their four eight-minute+ instrumental pieces? 
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2011 at 12:23
Maiden is the most progressive. Their influence along with Rush and others brought about the Dream Theater beast...
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2011 at 13:37
Your poll question pretty much fits Maiden perfectly so Maiden is my choice.

Up the Irons!

Headbanger

big.mo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 12:34
I've always thought Toto have a lot of prog arrows but they have thrown few. I.E., a piece like Hydra to me is 100% prog and there are other examples to bring forward. Their huge musical skills under any aspect, despite not enough a fact to number them in the prog family, should suggest a further evaluation of their works progwise. I'm a longstanding fan and I've bought their first album as soon as it came out a long long time ago. Since then I've been following them appreciating the most part of what they do. To me they should be considered prog related at least.
Prog Doc
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 19:42
bump
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 23:26
MAIDEN Headbanger
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 23:52
Nightwish, I do not know at all, and Toto not much. So on to the other two. Iron Maiden is easily my favorite. I used to like Metallica, though now I'm indifferent.

I think Metallica is more skilled technically than anyone on this list, but Iron Maiden is definitely more progressive. Metallica did attempt more epic style songs (with a probably influence from the likes of Iron Maiden), but with the exception of a piano intro on their recent album, kept their lineup to strictly guitars, bass, and drums. I do think they would have been more explorative and exciting if it weren't for the unfortunate death of Burton. They still tried some new things, such as their very heavy southern influences in the 90's, performing with a live orchestra, the different sounds they employed on St. Anger, and even collaborating with Lou Reed a couple years back. But they are more relevant today than any other act or artist that's been around since at least the early 1980's, so they have developed lasting power.

Iron Maiden on the other hand was more progressive in a sense. Their first album is borderline prog metal, and they kept going from there. Their lyrics often discussed historical and fantasy-related topics, much more than other metal acts. They included the use of synths and keys which definitely changed their sound (for the better in my opinion). The 90's saw the Blaze Bayley era, which really saw some dark and moody music, as well as longer songs. Dickinson's return marked the beginning of my favorite era in Iron Maiden's history. They kept working on more epic songs with more intricacies and instrumental sections. Their more recent epic songs tend to run with the same formulae, but they are still interesting from beginning to end, and shift gears plenty throughout.

Headbanger

Toto, well I know the song Africa, that's about it. LOL

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 23:52
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

MAIDEN Headbanger

Agreed! I'm listening to Seventh Son right now too. Cool
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member