Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ERRORS THREAD Report Errors and Omissions Here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 162>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Quinino View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ERRORS THREAD Report Errors and Omissions Here
    Posted: 20 minutes ago at 11:02
^ Really ?
But it's a collaboration / Various Artists recording (just asking)
Music was my first looove 🎶 and it will be myyy laaast🎵
msic of the futuuure 🎵and music of the paaaaaaast 🎶
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 36 minutes ago at 10:46
^ I think it belongs to Billly Cobham live albums. Smile
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Quinino View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 40 minutes ago at 10:42
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=15115

This one is a tribute to Mahavishnu and besides is a Live recording, where do you think it should go ? (makes no sense as Billly Cobham studio album)
Quinino View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 46 minutes ago at 10:36
^ OK, admins notified, thanks
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 58 minutes ago at 10:24
^ I think it should be deleted regardless of presence-absence of reviews.

If admins decide to let it live the title should be changed to "Billy Cobham presents Ensemble New ‎- Hope Street" (https://www.discogs.com/Billy-Cobham-presents-Ensemble-New-Hope-Street/release/7886727).
Quinino View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 5 minutes ago at 07:17
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=18346

I'd like to have your opinions on this one : produced but not featuring Billy Cobham, including only a cover of one of his compositions  (not suitable to Tributes, then!)

Should we delete it ? (no reviews)

Quinino View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 16:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

... but I think the definition should be changed to make it clear that we will accept, say, tribute albums to a Prog artist/band by one artist/band...

OK, you nailed it !
If it ain't broken don't fix it  (well, just a little, in this case)

Edited by Quinino - June 21 2016 at 16:29
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:33
^ Probably it would be clearer (if it's possible to make without disturbing [email protected]) in this order:
"ARTISTS: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z TRIBUTES # VA: SAMPLERS VA: CONCEPT ALBUMS VA"

And I've read once again (why I didn't do this before starting discusion?) current discription of tributes:
"This section contains albums which pay tribute to bands, artists or albums listed on the site. The artists who recorded the tracks on these albums may or may not be listed on the site themselves."
Looks like it's quite correct for any tribute albums.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:18
It should be tweaked at some time, but more in the definitions, and it can seem confusing and possibly somewhat contradictory in part (I think intention my have changed somewhat over the years as well). In "PROG SUB-GENRES" list under he banner near the top of the home-page, it is listed as Various Genres/Artists, but I think the definition should be changed to make it clear that we will accept, say, tribute albums to a Prog artist/band by one artist/band. I would also quite like to change the listings in "ARTISTS: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z # VA: SAMPLERS VA: CONCEPT ALBUMS VA: TRIBUTES ALL" to VA/VG.

I wrote a very long post with quotes, and links to the various sections and definitions, but it was making my brain severely hurt, and would make any other brain hurt too. I'm having a sense of dj vu, seem to remember having these concerns many years ago.
Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 12:19
^ Makes sense.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 11:40
I think that the Mick Pointer tribute album should stay where it is, and no need to create new sections on this, but some tweaks could be made to make things clearer if it's deemed a problem.

We have three VA sections and each is subheaded Various Genres, and I think the explanations of the categories are fine. To me VA has meant Various/ Varied Artists (not necessarily just about having various artists on an album, but having various styles within the category).
Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.
Quinino View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 10:27
^ Or better yet (?) include all kinds of tributes in the new section leaving behind the VA originals (non-tribute)
I think it would make more sense than dividing tributes in 2 separate sections, VA and non-VA, don't you?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 09:45
^ I guess there are albums by one artist in VA because nobody noticed (or cared).
I hope Admin team will ask [email protected] to add "Tributes" section (we can find a better short title explaining that it's not for various artists)
If [email protected] will agree we can move necessary albums from "VA Tributes" to this new section. 
historian9 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin / JRF Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote historian9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 08:49
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Originally posted by historian9 historian9 wrote:

It isn't necessary that an album features more than one artist to be in VA.  

To be in VA the album needs to feature more than one band (artist) by definition. Smile

If we'd like to see tributes recorded by particular bands not included on PA, why not to add a "Tributes" (without VA) section? It would help to prevent confusions like in case of Mike Pointer Band.

Looking back at the other definition of just VA at the start, that does seem to be true, my mistake. However, through time, there seems to be a lot of albums in there that are indeed by one artist ( in the concept albums for example). I don't know if this order of things came up just naturally and most of us felt ok with having these kind of albums in VA, but it we might formalize something about it.

Either change of the definition or adding a separate page might be our options. 
Quinino View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 08:47
^ Ordnung is alright Tongue you have my support, Eugene.
The way you propose we can add and not subtract, let's make it happen!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 08:23
^ Jos, I think it's better to have both - interesting works and a bit of OrdnungWink

Separate "Tribute" section would be very helpful, but it needs [email protected] to approve and add it.
Quinino View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 07:11

If we'd like to see tributes recorded by particular bands not included on PA, why not to add a "Tributes" (without VA) section? It would help to prevent confusions like in case of Mike Pointer Band.

Possible solution. Thumbs Up (Or, accepting George valid argument, leave it as it is and sleep well allthesame)

I think it's better risking to be over-inclusive than throw away interesting works on a bureaucratic argument.

Edited by Quinino - June 21 2016 at 07:15
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 06:25
Originally posted by historian9 historian9 wrote:

It isn't necessary that an album features more than one artist to be in VA.  

To be in VA the album needs to feature more than one band (artist) by definition. Smile

historian9 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin / JRF Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote historian9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 06:15
We're still discussing it, but in my opinion Mick Pointer Band's album fits perfectly the purpose of VA: Tributes section.

Because if we'll follow the logic "this band is not on PA, but let's add their tribute album to VA") we have to allow adding to VA/Tributes albums of countless tribute bands. 

That's kinda what I thought the purpose of VA is, and it says it in the biography part:

"This section contains albums which pay tribute to bands, artists or albums listed on the site. The artists who recorded the tracks on these albums may or may not be listed on the site themselves."

It isn't necessary that an album features more than one artist to be in VA.  Sure, this rule might open up some debate as whether albums like Genesis Revisited should stay with Steve Hackett, but otherwise, I'm completely fine with MPB staying where it is.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Neo Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 18:29

^^ Guys, I think it's a problem. Obviously it's not VA

In my opinion either Mick Pointer Band should be added on PA or this album should be deleted.

I think we have to ask what admins they think about it.
Because if we'll follow the logic "this band is not on PA, but let's add their tribute album to VA") we have to allow adding to VA/Tributes albums of countless tribute bands. 
You're right Eugene. We should pick them up asap ... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 162>
  Share Topic