Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ERRORS THREAD Report Errors and Omissions Here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 170171172173174 489>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 21:00
^ Yes, since only Olav (Windhawk) has ever reviewed any of their albums, and ratings are also very few, I'll just leave the discography as it is without the four (including the one called 'Bootleg') missing albums which are on bandcamp. Their music is way too weird for me anyway lol! LOL
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 20:24
^ David, I don't know.
From one hand, I can visit this page and add "Digital album" to YOLK releases included on PA. But when I think that it would be nice to correct the whole info of these albums I become less enthusiastic. Currently the band has 9 releases on PA and only 1 review - read "nobody needs this band".

It depends on PA visitors, will other YOLK releases be added or not. I didn't add albums of some of my favourite bands because very few people here know them, these additions (at least without reviews) look like a waste of time.

By the way, the album called "Bootleg", if it's on the band's bandcamp page, probably is not a bootleg at all. Smile 

Edited by NotAProghead - February 06 2021 at 20:27
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 19:39
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ Thanks, David, done.

I've added "Digital album" in http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=36314 info. I think if old albums are available digitally it's worth to mention this. You know, many people of new generations don't need and don't have devices to play physical copies. Cry

I didn't add unrecognized instruments, except for oergeli, it's rather like garmon.

Understood - and yes, good idea to add "Digital album". I'll try to add the missing Yolk albums which are on bandcamp tomorrow if you like (except the one called 'Bootleg', which might cause a few eyebrows to be raised!), and include it in those ones too - though a couple of them are only "name your price" downloads of old recordings made on a 4-track analogue tape recorder, so I'm not sure if that they should really be included at all on our site.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 19:23

NAP: Thanks, David. Actually edits were minimal, please look whether you like themhttp://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=31837
Looks fine to me! Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 19:19
^ Thanks, David, done.

I've added "Digital album" in http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=36314 info. I think if old albums are available digitally it's worth to mention this. You know, many people of new generations don't need and don't have devices to play physical copies. Cry

I didn't add unrecognized instruments, except for oergeli, it's rather like garmon.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 18:42

1. Verstopfung (0:43) 
2. The Dwarf And The Wanderer (12:20) 
  2.1 The Virgin Source 
  2.2 The Royal Guardsman 
  2.3 The Mincer 
  2.4 The Water Column 
3. Geier (5:12) 
4. Elefant (4:05) 
5. Wagner.. (1:56) 
6. Schönberg Rotzt (3:52) 
7. ...Motzt (0:14) 
8. Slaughterman (3:36) 
9. Der Rattenfänger Von Hameln (2:05) 
10. Notschlachtend (1:55) 
11. Ghosttown (7:00) 
12. Heidi (3:54) 
13. Durchfall (0:28) 

Total time 47:20

- Beat Burkhard / bass, keyboards 
- Rémy Sträuli / drums, keyboards, vocals 
- Willi Riechsteiner / guitar, keyboards 
- Simon Weishaupt / saxophone, keyboards 

Recorded at the Musikwerkstatt, Basel, in July 93.

CD Xopf Records ‎- XOPF 22 (Switzerland, 1993)

We already have a musicians credit listing on our page, but according to discogs and bandcamp all musicians also played keyboards on this album, with Beat Burkhard also contributing screams, and (according to bandcamp) Simon Weishaupt played a 'querofon', whatever that might be! I think they probably meant aerophone though, since it supports traditional sax fingering, and would be easy for him to play. I've left those two extra bits off the credits for now, but you can add them if you think it's worth doing so.

Several other Yolk albums currently have no track times, but they can be got from bandcamp easily enough using the album format thing. There are some albums on bandcamp which we don't currently include too:

...And this one with a dubious title! - https://yolk2.bandcamp.com/album/yolk-bootleg

The next album in the list with no track listing is another Yolk one: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=36318 - 'I'm Telling You This is Syd' (recorded 02/2002), it's NOT on bandcamp, but it's on discogs and the band's website here, and is made up of covers of songs by Syd Barrett.

1. Octopus (3:46) 
2. Silas Lang (3:11) 
3. No Good Trying (3:26) 
4. Let's Split (2:32) 
5. Dark Globe (4:02) 
6. Baby Lemonade (2:16) 
7. Long Gone (5:16) 
8. Word Song (2:41) 
9. Interstellar Overdrive (10:02) 
10. Lucifer Sam (2:57) 
11. Scream Thy Last Scream (4:39) 
12. Matilda Mother (6:41) 
13. Arnold Layne (4:26) 
14. Late Night (5:31) 
15. Wined And Dined (3:18) 
16. See Emily Play (7:24) 
17. Effervescing Elephant (1:15) 

Total time 73:23

Discogs don't include a line-up for this album, but it's listed on the website as:

- C. Remily / drums, keys, vocals
- Jarold Lane / guitar
- B. Limo / bass, suction cup, board, oergeli
- Lucifer Steff / guitar, vocals

However I think that the line up we currently have of:

- Rèmy Sträuli / drums
- Jarold Milko / guitar
- Beat Burkard / bass

is probably the same people (minus Lucifer Steff) with different pseudonyms.

Note: An oergeli is a brand of accordion - see https://www.aemmitaler-oergeli.ch/modelle, but I've no idea what B. Limo's 'board' actually is. Confused

They say it's available at the moment only as a limited version with a wiggling cover (Wacko)
and is available at Yolk, but they say they are still looking for a great publisher for this CD.

Recorded 2002 in Basel by Yolk. All songs by Syd Barrett. Manufactured by Yolk, with individually made covers.

CDr Self-released - Yolk (Switzerland, 2002)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 17:09
Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

@ProjecKt (Julien) I wonder if you could aim your weapon at our database once more and find out how many artists we have on the site with less than three lines in their biography.
David, it will need some additional programming, as I focused only on album pages, not on artist pages. But it WILL be done in the near future.
No rush at all Julien...We've got plenty to be carrying on with in the meantime!!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 17:05
This next one's NOT so easy though:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=31837

Summary of info compiled as best I can from three sites:

It will no doubt need some more editing though before being saved on our page for the album.

Lelekovice, String Quartet No.1 (for Iva Bittová) - Performed by Violet Wires

1. 1 (1:57) 
2. 2 (3:34) 
3. 3 (0:49) 
4. 4 (3:12) 
5. 5 (1:52) 
6. 6 (4:11) 
7. 7 (3:29) 
8. 8 (1:05) 
9. 9 (2:33) 

Total time 22:42

The As Usual Dance Towards The Other Flight To What Is Not - Performed by Fred Frith, Mark Howell, Nick Didkovsky, René Lussier

10. D (3:41) 
11. B (2:37) 
12. C (2:17) 
13. G (2:02) 
14. H (3:03) 
15. F (2:33) 
16. A (6:45) 
17. E (5:37) 

Total time 28:35

Total time (overall) 51:17

Violet Wires String Quartet:
- Ann Morfee / violin
- Abigail Brown / violin
- Phil D'Arcy / viola
- Liz Parker / cello

Electric Guitar Quartet:
- Fred Frith / composer, guitar, mixing
- Nick Didkovsky / guitar
- Mark Howell / guitar
- René Lussier / guitar

Assistant engineer - Niall Acott (1-9), John Azelvandre (10-17)
Mastering - Andy Fuchs
Cover design - Peter Bäder

'Lelekovice, String Quartet No. 1 (for Iva Bittová)' composed 1991.
First performed July 1991 by the Edison Quartet at Nieuwe Musiek Festival, Middelburg, Holland.
Recorded in December 1992 at Angel Recording Studios, London by Tom Leader
Mixed in January 1993 at Sound Fabrik, Munich by Benedykt Grodon and Fred Frith.

'The As Usual Dance Towards The Other Flight To What Is Not' composed in 1989, commissioned by Roulette, New York City
First performed February 1989 by Les 4 Guitaristes De L'Apocalypso-Bar at The Kitchen, NYC.
Recorded and mixed in April 1992 at Sorcerer Sound, New York City by David Avidor.

CD RecRec Music ‎- ReCDec 44 (UK & Europe, 1994)

We have it as a 1993 release, but it is listed on all three of the above sites as 1994.

NAP: Thanks, David. Actually edits were minimal, please look whether you like themhttp://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=31837

Edited by NotAProghead - February 06 2021 at 17:38
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 16:32

@ProjecKt (Julien) I wonder if you could aim your weapon at our database once more and find out how many artists we have on the site with less than three lines in their biography. I stumbled on (and then helped expand) a few of these during the early days of the FLAC campaign, but it would be interesting to know how many artists in total exist with nothing more than just a very basic summary for a biography.
David, it will need some additional programming, as I focused only on album pages, not on artist pages. But it WILL be done in the near future.

By the way, great job on the "empty tracks listing" guys! Only 10 albums left... Clap

Meanwhile, I'm working very hard on the Bandcamp / MP3 / Download thing... What a mess!! Wacko
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 16:18
^ Thanks, done. Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 15:49
We don't need the 'album format thing' for this next one lol!

1. Music In The Key Of Om (60:51)

Total Time 60:51

- Jack DeJohnette / keyboards, resonating bells

Composed and arranged by Jack DeJohnette.
Recorded at Magic Moments Studio, New York, August 2003.

CD Golden Beams Productions ‎- GBP1111 (2005, USA)

If only they were all that easy! LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 15:34
^ Thanks, it works! I didn't know this and even never tried to run cmd.  Smile
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 15:03

^^ "Domestic" utility called "Album format thing" described in Collabs area in the forum, but I think it's helpful for all users.

It's pretty simple:
1. Download and unpack the archive --> there are  files inside: input.txt, out.txt, runAFT.cmd and v13.exe.
2. Open input.txt and copy in this file the text to be formatted, for example from discogs page:
1 Bad Times 6:52
2 Carry Me Home 3:26
3 Dance Of The Cobra 7:41
4 Third World 3:56
5 Fill Up Your Heart 5:42
6 Flying High 5:05
7 The Fakir 4:47

3. Save input.txt.
4. Execute v13.exe (double click it).
5. Open out.txt and enjoy the results:

1. Bad Times (6:52) 
2. Carry Me Home (3:26) 
3. Dance Of The Cobra (7:41) 
4. Third World (3:56) 
5. Fill Up Your Heart (5:42) 
6. Flying High (5:05) 
7. The Fakir (4:47) 

Total time 37:29

I love this tool. It has some imperfections (doesn't work with Unicode characters, doesn't work properly when times are in square brackets...), but in most cases it works well.

If you create a shortcut to the "runAFT.cmd" file and double click to execute it, it is a batch file that will automatically open the input.txt file. Then it runs the .exe after you close notepad and re-opens notepad with the output.txt results. Saves a few steps.

Edited by Tapfret - February 06 2021 at 15:05
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 14:48
^ Great hints thanks!

^ Mmm, I'm pretty proud of my new tool! Now I can answer your questions...

1. empty track lists: 59 albums
2. empty line-ups: 2443 albums
3. empty release info: 4928 albums
4. with the word "duplication": 4 albums

What do you want first? Wink

^ Cool thing! Clap

@ProjecKt (Julien) I wonder if you could aim your weapon at our database once more and find out how many artists we have on the site with less than three lines in their biography. I stumbled on (and then helped expand) a few of these during the early days of the FLAC campaign, but it would be interesting to know how many artists in total exist with nothing more than just a very basic summary for a biography.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 11:38
^ Some hints:

1. The utility always capitalizes words' first letters, it's according to PA guidelines, but in some cases I prefer to leave them "uncapitalized".

2. In case of Unicode characters makes sense to save the file, the utility will calculate total correctly, but then it's necessary to restore Unicode characters manually.
Another option:
- format text with Unicode characters according to PA guidelines;
- calculate total with the utility, but add only the result (Total time xx.xx) to previously formatted text.

3. In cases like this:
1    Foolish song [22:33]
2    Mean Woman Rap [40:56]
makes sense to replace square brackets with "normal" ones () beforehand.

Edited by NotAProghead - February 06 2021 at 11:41
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 11:26
^ Thanks a lot for this! I just tried it out and it worked perfectly! That'll save me a stack of time spent reformatting the text in many instances, not to mention adding up the times! Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 11:05
^^ "Domestic" utility called "Album format thing" described in Collabs area in the forum, but I think it's helpful for all users.

It's pretty simple:
1. Download and unpack the archive --> there are  files inside: input.txt, out.txt, runAFT.cmd and v13.exe.
2. Open input.txt and copy in this file the text to be formatted, for example from discogs page:
1 Bad Times 6:52
2 Carry Me Home 3:26
3 Dance Of The Cobra 7:41
4 Third World 3:56
5 Fill Up Your Heart 5:42
6 Flying High 5:05
7 The Fakir 4:47

3. Save input.txt.
4. Execute v13.exe (double click it).
5. Open out.txt and enjoy the results:

1. Bad Times (6:52) 
2. Carry Me Home (3:26) 
3. Dance Of The Cobra (7:41) 
4. Third World (3:56) 
5. Fill Up Your Heart (5:42) 
6. Flying High (5:05) 
7. The Fakir (4:47) 

Total time 37:29

I love this tool. It has some imperfections (doesn't work with Unicode characters, doesn't work properly when times are in square brackets...), but in most cases it works well.

Edited by NotAProghead - February 06 2021 at 11:07
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 10:04

David, as you may already know, I've made an "utility" for calculating total times, but sadly I still didn't find a way to share it with the world (incl. you). It can grab track times from pretty much anywhere: Bandcamp, Discogs, Wikipedia, Youtube Music, and even messed-up PA album pages!

I don't know if Eugene can give you the "domestic" utility, but you could always tell me the album numbers that are missing total time (but WITH track times) so I can add total time... almost instantly.
Wow, that's cool! It takes my ageing brain several minutes to tot up track times to arrive at the total time, and I have to recheck at least once to make sure that I haven't messed up (as I quite often do!). I could type all the individual times manually into one of the on line tools that are out there I suppose, and let that take care of it, but I'm slow at typing too, so it wouldn't speed the process up by a great deal to be honest.

I reckon you could sort out all the albums we have with individual track times but no total time with your utility at one fell swoop. If your can isolate all the ones in the '9768 albums with no total time' list which aren't also in the '16257 albums with no individual track times' list, and let your tool loose on the resulting list, then you should smash it!
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 06:34

^ For most of the albums I post the track times for I have to add up the individual times anyway, since the total time in minutes and seconds isn't very often provided. On bandcamp there is nothing given at all for the total time, and spotify only gives it in hours and minutes, so not accurate enough for our purposes. I've never heard about PA's "domestic" utility before, but it certainly sounds like a useful tool to have around. Smile
David, as you may already know, I've made an "utility" for calculating total times, but sadly I still didn't find a way to share it with the world (incl. you). It can grab track times from pretty much anywhere: Bandcamp, Discogs, Wikipedia, Youtube Music, and even messed-up PA album pages!

I don't know if Eugene can give you the "domestic" utility, but you could always tell me the album numbers that are missing total time (but WITH track times) so I can add total time... almost instantly.
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 06:21

^ Manually or in semi-automatic (with preview) way? 

Semi-automatic. You're very clever, my friend! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 170171172173174 489>