Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ERRORS THREAD Report Errors and Omissions Here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 160161162163164 490>
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 08:49
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Originally posted by historian9 historian9 wrote:

It isn't necessary that an album features more than one artist to be in VA.  

To be in VA the album needs to feature more than one band (artist) by definition. Smile

If we'd like to see tributes recorded by particular bands not included on PA, why not to add a "Tributes" (without VA) section? It would help to prevent confusions like in case of Mike Pointer Band.

Looking back at the other definition of just VA at the start, that does seem to be true, my mistake. However, through time, there seems to be a lot of albums in there that are indeed by one artist ( in the concept albums for example). I don't know if this order of things came up just naturally and most of us felt ok with having these kind of albums in VA, but it we might formalize something about it.

Either change of the definition or adding a separate page might be our options. 
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 09:45
^ I guess there are albums by one artist in VA because nobody noticed (or cared).
I hope Admin team will ask M@X to add "Tributes" section (we can find a better short title explaining that it's not for various artists)
If M@X will agree we can move necessary albums from "VA Tributes" to this new section. 
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 10:27
^ Or better yet (?) include all kinds of tributes in the new section leaving behind the VA originals (non-tribute)
I think it would make more sense than dividing tributes in 2 separate sections, VA and non-VA, don't you?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 11:40
I think that the Mick Pointer tribute album should stay where it is, and no need to create new sections on this, but some tweaks could be made to make things clearer if it's deemed a problem.

We have three VA sections and each is subheaded Various Genres, and I think the explanations of the categories are fine. To me VA has meant Various/ Varied Artists (not necessarily just about having various artists on an album, but having various styles within the category).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 12:19
^ Makes sense.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:18
It should be tweaked at some time, but more in the definitions, and it can seem confusing and possibly somewhat contradictory in part (I think intention my have changed somewhat over the years as well). In "PROG SUB-GENRES" list under he banner near the top of the home-page, it is listed as Various Genres/Artists, but I think the definition should be changed to make it clear that we will accept, say, tribute albums to a Prog artist/band by one artist/band. I would also quite like to change the listings in "ARTISTS: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z # VA: SAMPLERS VA: CONCEPT ALBUMS VA: TRIBUTES ALL" to VA/VG.

I wrote a very long post with quotes, and links to the various sections and definitions, but it was making my brain severely hurt, and would make any other brain hurt too. I'm having a sense of déjà vu, seem to remember having these concerns many years ago.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:33
^ Probably it would be clearer (if it's possible to make without disturbing M@X) in this order:
"ARTISTS: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z TRIBUTES # VA: SAMPLERS VA: CONCEPT ALBUMS VA"

And I've read once again (why I didn't do this before starting discusion?) current discription of tributes:
"This section contains albums which pay tribute to bands, artists or albums listed on the site. The artists who recorded the tracks on these albums may or may not be listed on the site themselves."
Looks like it's quite correct for any tribute albums.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 16:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

... but I think the definition should be changed to make it clear that we will accept, say, tribute albums to a Prog artist/band by one artist/band...

OK, you nailed it !
If it ain't broken don't fix it  (well, just a little, in this case)

Edited by Quinino - June 21 2016 at 16:29
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 07:17
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=18346

I'd like to have your opinions on this one : produced but not featuring Billy Cobham, including only a cover of one of his compositions  (not suitable to Tributes, then!)

Should we delete it ? (no reviews)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 10:24
^ I think it should be deleted regardless of presence-absence of reviews.

If admins decide to let it live the title should be changed to "Billy Cobham presents Ensemble New ‎- Hope Street" (https://www.discogs.com/Billy-Cobham-presents-Ensemble-New-Hope-Street/release/7886727).
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 10:36
^ OK, admins notified, thanks
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 10:42
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=15115

This one is a tribute to Mahavishnu and besides is a Live recording, where do you think it should go ? (makes no sense as Billly Cobham studio album)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 10:46
^ I think it belongs to Billly Cobham live albums. Smile
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 11:02
^ Really ?
But it's a collaboration / Various Artists recording (just asking)
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 07:14
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=307

Can it be correctly spelled "Sagrado Coração da Terra" ?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 09:29
^ Thanks, done.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 10:17
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

^ Really ?
But it's a collaboration / Various Artists recording (just asking)

OK, let's look once again. It's a collaboration. Collaborators are:
Billy Cobham, Colin Towns (as arranger and director) and HR-Bigband. Only Billy Cobham is on PA.

It's not a "Concert for John" where different artists play a couple of tunes then leave the stage for others. I don't see the point what's wrong if the album is in Billy Cobham discography.

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 11:42
^ It's a tribute to Mahavishnu Orch. , actually ...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 12:11
^ Yes, tribute recorded by PA artist (OK, in collaboration) and included in PA artist's discography.
What's wrong?
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 14:05
No problema, my friend, just sayin'
Thanks for the help Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 160161162163164 490>