Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHypno5e & A Backward Glance On A Travel Road

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hypno5e & A Backward Glance On A Travel Road
    Posted: November 17 2011 at 01:08

Two related bands, one prog/avant-metal the other a progressive/eclectic rock group.

Hypno5e:

Hypno5e are now offering their first album for pay-what-you-want on their bandcmap.
This is in light of their new album, Acid Mist Tomorrow, coming out next year.
More info on their Facebook.

Here's Hypno5e's PA bio:
"Hypno5e biography
French experi-metalists HYPNO5E create a progressive metal / art rock onslaught that can truly be called the future of metal. Also being professionals in film, the genius within HYPNO5E mixes in video concept showing an all around approach to the arts, both musically and visually. Playing many characters at its finest, HYPNO5E's signature sound paints the picture with such textures and color, and has been said by the press to expand metal into unimaginable dimensions. The Cleveland Free Times described the album as "a testament to range and musicianship", while Time Out New York says "HYPNO5E juxtaposes technical, dissonant metal with pretty abstraction". Countless time changes, mood swings from haunting to hopeful, and some of the deepest grinding extreme metal tones on the low end build up this open minded monster. While the French metal scene has been exploding as of late, HYPNO5E is still one creating their own trend since forming in 2003.

Fresh off their US headlining Metal As Art Tour alongside Revocation (Relapse Records) and The Binary Code, HYPNO5E has a plan for world domination. Having toured extensively throughout the US, Canada, Asia, and Europe, including a mini Euro Tour with The Ocean (Metal Blade), HYPNO5E has already made themselves a name to remember.

From start to finish, Des Deux L'une Est L'Autre (English translation: "Of The Two, One Is The Other") captures the audience with their stunning vision. The album mirrors life?s highs and lows, and aesthetically is a tribute to the arts. From the stunning metal assaults in Tutuguri to the epic and moving journey of Scarlet Fever, the monster within HYPNO5E attacks in many ways. Their power is well distributed and technicality blends with a mood so deep, the virtuosity of it all is seen in concept. HYPNO5E makes you live every music note as an emotion, every emotion becoming a picture in your head, and every concept becoming an interpretation of life.

In relation to the music, HYPNO5E's live performance consists of custom video projection and movie archives (see pic below), where samples, effects, and the raw power and energy of the band showcase an unforgettable night. HYPNO5E?s can be labeled both progressive and epic, blending all styles of metal with open minded perfection. The future is HYPNO5E..."

A Backward Glance On A Travel Road:
When I discovered the French avant/prog-metal group Hypno5e, I also found out about their "alter-ego" band, A Backward Glance On A Travel Road.

As is the case for Hypno5e, their album is an odd and fascinating experience. Otherworldly at times, it is a bizarre and beautiful album, a unique adventure that will pick you up from your current location and delicately take you on a journey. Mostly acoustic, with gentle abstract sounds layering the melodies in each tune, the music is soft but piercing and reaching gorgeous peaks at times (listen to Johnny Got His Gun for instance) or exposing a rougher and more aggressive side (such as in Hier Régnant Désert).  
Highly recommended!

The album is available physically under the name "Lettres De La Barbarie Ordinaire" with a 36 pages book with lyrics and artwork. It's also available digitally as a remastered edition in their bandcamp with an additional track, Heat.

Lineup:
Emmanuel Jessua / guitar, vocals, piano, sitar, charango
Thibault Lamy / drums, percussion, sampling
Cédric Pages aka Gredin / bass, vocals
Jonathan Maurois / guitar

Additional vocals:
- Ilène Grange on "In Absentia part II"
- Sandrine Gillicq on "Falling" 

Links:
Website
Facebook
Bandcamp Download their album for 1 euro
Spotify
Youtube
Review at Blog Critics

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2011 at 16:17
Bump!
You've got free music (check Hypno5e's bandcamp linked above) and a very cheap download offer (check the bandcamp of Backward Glance... linked above). 
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2011 at 20:50
Another bump.
Free music has never been this hard to sell... LOL
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 10:17
I never had any success with my threads, but I'll give this one last bump...
peart_lee_lifeson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 23:33
I must say, "A Backward Glance on a Travel Road" is easily in my top five favorite albums I've heard in the past year.
PROG ON!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply