Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2011 at 02:39
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

We still have yet to see the MMPLMPLMLPPMMMPPL Big smile 

Dregsatlantic!

Well they officially have a name for the band. Flying Colors.
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2011 at 02:54
Not too fond of that name honestly. Transatlantic was originally called "Second Nature" which is even worse. And of course "Adrenaline Mob". Band names are hard Ermm Hoping the music still turns out awesome.
KirksNoseHair View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2011 at 06:41
I can confirm that that ARE going to soldier on.  I had another very long email from Dave this morning and they're definitely planning to get things moving again.  I can 't give out any more details than that, but Spock's Beard is definitely going to continue as a band. 

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2011 at 06:50
Originally posted by KirksNoseHair KirksNoseHair wrote:

I can confirm that that ARE going to soldier on.  I had another very long email from Dave this morning and they're definitely planning to get things moving again.  I can 't give out any more details than that, but Spock's Beard is definitely going to continue as a band. 

I wish them well and look forward to new releases. Sometimes this sort of setback is good for a band. Like when Neal left they had to stand on their own feet. I think it was good for their development as a band and individually.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2011 at 07:38
That's a very good point, Snow Dog.  Sometimes adversity can breed creativity.  Hell, half of the songs on my band's album (I wrote all of the music) were written when I was going through some very, very difficult times.

These guys are top players and great people.  Ryo is one of the nicest guys I know and a very dear friend and extremely enthusiastic about Spock's Beard and about making music in general.  Hell, he's been hounding me about us getting going on the next The ANABASIS album for months!  LOL  Dave Meros is also a terrific guy and an incredibly talented musician and he's very very eager to get going on their next album too.

In a lot of ways, I think they kind of needed this to happen because with NDV committed to the Cirque gig, Spock's Beard was sort of stuck in a holding pattern, now, thanks to NDV bowing out like this, they can move forward.  Sure, it's a kick in the nuts because NDV is a great musician and charismatic front man, but I think Al, Dave and Ryo will find the right person to fill the position and the Beard will come roaring back stronger than ever.

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2011 at 08:36
Is Ray Wilson available?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2011 at 09:24
I wouldn't say that Spock's Beard died when Neal Morse left.  I would say that Spock's Beard died somewhere around the time that he decided that "Snow" would be be an evangelical christian album.
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2011 at 09:51
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Is Ray Wilson available?

LOL
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2011 at 09:59
...wait, what?
how did I miss this? Unhappy
davemuttillo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2011 at 13:02
Frankly, the Beard has never 'died' contrary to some of the opinions expressed above. They have changed, developed and grown. Before Neal left, no one else contributed to the writing. After Neal's departure they truly became a more cohesive unit with the whole band writing and contributing.

That said,  I love the suggestion above about Neal returning and Portnoy joining on. It may be pie in the sky, but I would dearly love to see that version of Spock's Beard.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 10:35
Good news . . . copied from a Beard e-mail:

Announcing....Spock’s Beard has a new recording and touring lineup! 

To keep bringing you the finest Prog Rock, we’ve brought on board the amazing vocalist/guitarist Ted Leonard (Enchant, Thought Chamber) and Jimmy Keegan (Santana, John Waite), who’s been our tour drummer for close to 10 years now. If you know these guys, you know they’re world class. They bring exciting new energy and creativity to the party.

We regret that Nick D’Virgilio, a founding member of the band, good friend and incredible talent is unable to continue with us due to his other commitments. Please continue to support him, check out his new solo CD “Pieces,” go see him with Cirque du Soleil and follow whatever other madness he's up to. He’s awesome. We wish him the best of luck and the success he deserves. We wouldn’t be here without NDV!

Look for a new live Spock’s Beard DVD and extensive European tour in early 2012, followed by our 11th studio release sometime in the summer. We’re energized and excited, and will be posting updates and sound samples as we progress.

Thank you for continuing to support us through the years and changes. We stay committed to bringing you the finest in Prog Rock and taking it into the future.

More info and pics at SpocksBeard.com

If you don't already, please follow us on Facebook and Twitterfor all the latest.

I am sooo glad that this is what they're going with.  I loved X and was to see more albums dominated by the Alan Morse / Dave Meros penned tunes.

-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 11:00
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Announcing....Spock’s Beard has a new recording and touring lineup! 

To keep bringing you the finest Prog Rock, we’ve brought on board the amazing vocalist/guitarist Ted Leonard (Enchant, Thought Chamber) and Jimmy Keegan (Santana, John Waite), who’s been our tour drummer for close to 10 years now. If you know these guys, you know they’re world class. They bring exciting new energy and creativity to the party.

We regret that Nick D’Virgilio, a founding member of the band, good friend and incredible talent is unable to continue with us due to his other commitments. Please continue to support him, check out his new solo CD “Pieces,” go see him with Cirque du Soleil and follow whatever other madness he's up to. He’s awesome. We wish him the best of luck and the success he deserves. We wouldn’t be here without NDV!

Look for a new live Spock’s Beard DVD and extensive European tour in early 2012, followed by our 11th studio release sometime in the summer. We’re energized and excited, and will be posting updates and sound samples as we progress.

Thank you for continuing to support us through the years and changes. We stay committed to bringing you the finest in Prog Rock and taking it into the future.

More info and pics at SpocksBeard.com

If you don't already, please follow us on Facebook and Twitterfor all the latest.

I am sooo glad that this is what they're going with.  I loved X and was to see more albums dominated by the Alan Morse / Dave Meros penned tunes.

Aww, dang. Without a famous front man I don't think they'll recover.  They shoulda just called up Beardfish and fused the bands into Spock's Beardfish, lol.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 11:18
Clap

I'm not clapping for NdV's departure (I liked him) but for Ted Leonard's arrival. Great singer from a totally-underrated band (Enchant) who fits like a glove in SB. Now I see myself buying SB's next album again (which I wouldn't have done had they picked somebody else to replace Nick). 
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 11:35
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Aww, dang. Without a famous front man I don't think they'll recover.  They shoulda just called up Beardfish and fused the bands into Spock's Beardfish, lol.

Bwahahaha...Spock's Beardfish . . . love it.

-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 12:41
Nick is a supreme talent in any band.  He toured with Tears for Fears as well as SB.  He played drums on a couple of tracks of Calling All Stations by Genesis.  He even sat in on the Power of Two tour from Agents of Mercy and Karmakanic in 2010 in the USA.  I happened to see the first show after  he had one day of rehearsal with them and he just nailed it.  I was also fortunate to see his Rewiring Genesis concert The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and that was just a great show as well.  If you are not familiar with that project Nick took a bunch of musicians who were not familiar with the music and gave them the charts and put this thing together.  Horns, flutes all sorts of instruments went into the production and it was a lot of fun to hear. I wish him the best of luck in his future projects. 

I saw Nick with Spock's Beard 3 times and can assure you that as long as Jimmy Keegan is there there will be no fall off from behind the kit as he has toured with them since Neal left.  Be interesting to hear his takes on the studio work as well.  Have to see how Ted works in this role.  I can see no reason why this won't work out. 

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 12:49

Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Bwahahaha...Spock's Beardfish . . . love it.

Wasn't it Beardfish that announced that they were merging with another band for their next project a couple of years ago?  I am thinking that it didn't actually happen, but I may be confusing them with someone else.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 13:02
They merged with the Tangent for a while, but it was just a touring band.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 13:04
Ahh.  That is what it was.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 13:16
I've known about this for a while, but it was confidential (for obvious reasons).

Ted Leonard, in all honesty, is not my first choice, but I do understand why they went with him and I will look forward with an open mind to what they come up with now.

Long live the Beard
davemuttillo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 14:37
Sorry, but I do not like this choice. Jimmy on drums was the expected call. Ted from Enchant, no surprise either after he did the gig with them, but I don't like Enchant and wasn't impressed with Ted's work on their albums ... Can you say "thoroughly disappointed"?

But, we shall see how it works out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>