Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs the third wave of prog dying?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2011 at 13:39
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I don't see waves.  Looking at our database, there are great prog albums from every year.  Dates are just a helpful index- nothing more.

There are great releases every year but there seem to be some in more years than in other. (1972, 1976/77). They seem to come in waves. And aparently there have been three and #4 is on the rise.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2011 at 13:39

Waves are beautiful things. The more the merrier, I'm on my 6th wave of prog, at least.

Edited by Bonnek - November 20 2011 at 13:40
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2011 at 18:34
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

So, Dr. Prog, what happened in 1983 which made it impossible for any subsequent band to live up to your standards?

Experimenting with drum machines, more guitar, less bass creativity, bad recording production, simpler composing. It all happened in the mid and late 80s. By the 90s these bands forgot how they made great music Big smile

Edited by dr prog - November 20 2011 at 18:34
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2011 at 20:21
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

So, Dr. Prog, what happened in 1983 which made it impossible for any subsequent band to live up to your standards?

Experimenting with drum machines, more guitar, less bass creativity, bad recording production, simpler composing. It all happened in the mid and late 80s. By the 90s these bands forgot how they made great music Big smile

Then you should check other bands.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2011 at 20:30

u so silly

Edited by Horizons - November 20 2011 at 20:31
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 10:28
Prog is basically a coral reef...  read all about a coral reef and replace music/prog terms in for the science/biology ones, and you'll get what I mean.

It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Dust in the Kitchen
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 21:53
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

yeah lots of prog bands one after another and all recorded their first album before 1975 Cool
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 21:58

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

yeah lots of prog bands one after another and all recorded their first album before 1975 Cool

Yea..... I give up on this thread...
Turillazzo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 15:02
Guys, do you realize how much '70s prog rock you still don't know? There are so many albums to listen to that bands can even stop recording for a century.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 16:03
LOL
What?
peart_lee_lifeson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 16:26
All I know is Beardfish is supposed to be releasing another album in 2012.  That's two within a year or so.  I don't think any wave is dying.
PROG ON!!!
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 12:18
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Neo-prog is going away?
Please!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 12:24
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

We all get old and die, nothing remarkable about that. Even if the "third wave" is not yet dying, it will eventually.

The genre is still alive, there's quite a lot of good music being released every year, in fact so much that I can't follow it all up, there are many modern albums which based on what I have read I think I would like them, but I simply do not have the time or money to get them all.

Whether the music is being released by the first, second, third or fourth wave, who cares?

I care. It´s nice to be at the time of something great being released. Makes you a part of something. Plus chances are you are more likely to see them live, or at least the people in the US and Europe... Cry
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 13:52
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

We all get old and die, nothing remarkable about that. Even if the "third wave" is not yet dying, it will eventually.

The genre is still alive, there's quite a lot of good music being released every year, in fact so much that I can't follow it all up, there are many modern albums which based on what I have read I think I would like them, but I simply do not have the time or money to get them all.

Whether the music is being released by the first, second, third or fourth wave, who cares?

I care. It´s nice to be at the time of something great being released. Makes you a part of something. Plus chances are you are more likely to see them live, or at least the people in the US and Europe... Cry

Well, on that I agree for sure!
Being from '66 I missed much of the "first wave", I have seen most of the main ones live but not in their prime in the early 70's but only in the 80's.
I have been able to see most of the "second wave" and "third wave" at my "best age" (from teen to late 30"s). Now at 45 with family duties and very demanding work I can not go to so many concerts as I used to, and actually from the latest wave if prog bands I have seen very few of them live, but ok I enjoy their albums.

What I was meaning is that as long as new generations of good prog bands keep coming up we can be happy enough, we have new music to enjoy. There will always be great things from the past we missed because we were not there, but if there are still great things in our present that's good enough, we must not complain.

-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2011 at 04:21
Originally posted by Turillazzo Turillazzo wrote:

Guys, do you realize how much '70s prog rock you still don't know? There are so many albums to listen to that bands can even stop recording for a century.

So true!
I could get lost for months in the old stuff.

Dust in the Kitchen
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 06:07
I think it is dying, I think the recent increase in Prog-related publications (magazines and books especially) as well as the multi-disc reissue campaigns for so many classic albums of the past bring us to a peak time, and it's downhill from here (until the start of a future fourth wave in about 2020, of course.)

But then I also think a good case can be made for the original end-of-prog year being 1974, rather than later in the 70s.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 07:08
I did a date sort on my collection and it seems be more of a steady stream starting with 1969.  Some years are more notable than others.  This year has seemed to have more music come out that I wanted to get.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 29 2011 at 07:09
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 13:07
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

I think it is dying, I think the recent increase in Prog-related publications (magazines and books especially) as well as the multi-disc reissue campaigns for so many classic albums of the past bring us to a peak time, and it's downhill from here (until the start of a future fourth wave in about 2020, of course.)

But then I also think a good case can be made for the original end-of-prog year being 1974, rather than later in the 70s.

Prog has been written off in this way since the 1970's. Don't worry, it ain't dying.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 13:46
If you can't enjoy any music made since 1983, then that's problem with you, not the music.  But to each his own I guess.....just please stop coming on the forums to tell us over and over that there is nothing good anymore.  We know, and we think you are completely wrong.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2011 at 00:03
I've probably said this before, but my love for music begins in 1965 and ends in 2005. I'm not saying good records didn't come out before or after. This is merely an assessment. It begins with Highway 61 Revisited and ends with Antony and the Johnstons' I am a Bird Now. I love me some 1950's conceptual Sinatra, and Waits was able to pull off the great Bad as Me only this year. It's just an assessment of my favorites. But nary a single one of my top 30 favorite records came before or after 1965 or 2005. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>