Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs the third wave of prog dying?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2012 at 19:58
Originally posted by MattGuitat MattGuitat wrote:

The third wave of prog is made up of many of the band s from the early to mid 90's all the way to now. But sadly, many of these bands are either on hiatus (The Flower Kings) or have lost leading members (Spock's Beard like 5 minutes ago and Dream Theater with MP). I would like to hear your thoughts on this and what may happen tot the future of progressive music.

If these bands are the 3rd wave of prog then it can't die soon enough.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 11:26
Originally posted by Lighthouse Keeper Lighthouse Keeper wrote:

And i agree with you that audiences now are attracted to dancable tunes more than technical compositions.

I see these times as nowhere near as good for dance music when compared to the 70s, the age of funk and disco. That was the real thing. Cool
SongJohn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 08:25
As a young 25 year old, I'm constantly amazed that so many people appreciate this newer stuff - I guess it's called 2nd and 3rd wave for short. Personally-wise......I can't handle anything after 1979 really. In the '70s and '60s rock music was cool, and prog-rock was where the coolest most intellectual hip cat would be. In the period of 1990 - 1993 music again was cool because Kurt Cobain showed us his beautiful combination of balls and brains - which is what '70s and '60s music had.

I don't put my faith in Roinne Stolt and some of these newer groups because I don't feel like they're taking me somewhere cool in my mind. This is the same rotten fate that YES has met - the songs become mushy, powerless and pretty much the exact opposite of cool - lame. So let's hope the third wave is dying so that some other insertion can fill the vacuous space that has basically existed for me since 1994. 

True intelligence is timeless and will always be cool. And sooner or later people are going to realize this is why Beethoven and Emerson are still talked about, or they won't, and they'll rock out on a 2012 Gibson Les Paul they bought brand new from Guitar Center right after they get home from work adorned in business slacks and ties trying in vain to channel whatever it was that Hendrix channeled. And I do in fact see it going that way. We've all been entirely too casual about this progressive rock thing and it's now up to us to do it, write the music that needs writing so as to not drop the creative ball. Just get ready for the bad years because they are certainly coming. 

www.instrumentrodeo.yolasite.com
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 11:56
If the "third wave" is dying, we will have "the fourth wave". It's inevitable. But time will tell.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 12:23
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

If the "third wave" is dying, we will have "the fourth wave". It's inevitable. But time will tell.

I agree. The end of the first wave was followed closely by the start of the second wave, and how long was the gap in between?  Same with the second & third waves, of course.

Please can the fourth wave involve less of a focus on metal?  Nowt wrong with metal, but there are other elements to prog, and maybe the fourth wave can focus on woodwind or percussion or chanting or insect music
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 12:53
I think Toby Driver, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Mars Volta, Vasarat, Thumpermonkey Lives, Children of Nova, etc, is the beginning of the fourth wave. A NEW era of prog. Bands that don't GIVE A DAMN about genre and they literally play whatever's on their minds whenever they want.

Except Mr. Bungle already did that... and Cardiacs did that before them... and oh yea, that was basically just Zappa mixed with punk and oh gawd the 4th era of prog is just going to be a rehash of the 3rd era, which was a rehash of the 2nd, which was a rehash of the 1st, which was really just mixing classical music into a rock/jazz/metal setting and damn it the only legit person to EVER WRITE MUSIC WAS MOZART... except he was just taking bleh from bleh and bleh from bleh....

I'm totally joking and really just trying to point out the futile attempts to define something as being part of an era. Music is music. If it kicks butt, if it sucks, if it's the most amazing thing you have ever heard, it still is what it is.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2012 at 13:49
Originally posted by SongJohn SongJohn wrote:

As a young 25 year old, I'm constantly amazed that so many people appreciate this newer stuff - I guess it's called 2nd and 3rd wave for short. Personally-wise......I can't handle anything after 1979 really. In the '70s and '60s rock music was cool, and prog-rock was where the coolest most intellectual hip cat would be. In the period of 1990 - 1993 music again was cool because Kurt Cobain showed us his beautiful combination of balls and brains - which is what '70s and '60s music had.

I don't put my faith in Roinne Stolt and some of these newer groups because I don't feel like they're taking me somewhere cool in my mind. This is the same rotten fate that YES has met - the songs become mushy, powerless and pretty much the exact opposite of cool - lame. So let's hope the third wave is dying so that some other insertion can fill the vacuous space that has basically existed for me since 1994. 

True intelligence is timeless and will always be cool. And sooner or later people are going to realize this is why Beethoven and Emerson are still talked about, or they won't, and they'll rock out on a 2012 Gibson Les Paul they bought brand new from Guitar Center right after they get home from work adorned in business slacks and ties trying in vain to channel whatever it was that Hendrix channeled. And I do in fact see it going that way. We've all been entirely too casual about this progressive rock thing and it's now up to us to do it, write the music that needs writing so as to not drop the creative ball. Just get ready for the bad years because they are certainly coming. 

This is interesting to me.  I was 25 in 1994.  I couldn't stand modern music, which included Kurt Cobain.  Well, actually, I didn't mind some grunge bands, like Soundgarden, but I couldn't stand Nirvana, and still can't.  Anything before 1979, as you say here, was just not anything I was interested in (I first heard  Dream Theater back then, and thought they were a bunch of Rush wanna-be's mixing in cheesy metal.........hmm, not much has changed, I guess LOL ).

However, Roine Stolt and the Flower Kings showed me that modern music can be just as good, if not better than 70's stuff.  I was 30 when I discovered them, and they are still my favorite "modern" prog band.  They were one of the first bands I found from the so called 3rd wave, and as far as I'm concerned, the only ones still doing anything decent.  Well, up to 2007, at least.  Hopefully their new album will be up to the standards of the previous ones, we'll see.

Anyway, it's interesting that from pretty much my teen years until age 30, I was only interested in music from the 60's and 70's.  Everything else was crap to me.  After age 30, I find myself listening to a lot of modern music (well, 2000 and beyond, anyway) and a lot less 70's stuff.  Though thanks to this place I usually find one or two 70's albums a year that I enjoy that I missed in the past.

I think the 3rd wave is still going pretty strong, though really we're probably on the 5th wave by now.  I'm not sure there is any set way to keep track of such things, however.

Edited by infandous - April 12 2012 at 13:51
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 08:30
I wonder if the 1st wave won't truly be finished until after the last of the 1st wave bands releases its final new album.  And if that means any band whose 1st album was released before, let's say, 1970, or 1976, then so be it. 
This would mean, of course, that we're still in the 1st wave. (imagine putting Classical music into waves - how many would there be?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
elder08 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 12:24
In my opinion in order for prog to do what it does best (progress), some of these bands will have to call it quits. Which doesn't mean the end, just a 4th wave would start.
"There are people who say we [Pink Floyd] should make room for younger bands. That's not the way it works. They can make their own room."- David Gilmour
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 15:48
As far as I can see, the fourth wave is somewhere near the threshold now. The first wave was psychedelic rock-inspred. The second wave was highly new wave-inflected. The third wave had a deal with alternative rock. Now, as far as I can judge, the fourth wave should have the heavily electronic sound (which is, to be honest, not my path). It signifies that after the new sound will take over, it would mean 10 or more years of another very boring era in music...
This night wounds time.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 18:55
Prog has more possibilities to it than most forms of music, so there is still the decent thing here and there. It's funny how people think there will always be a "new sound".
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 21:32
Let's hope the fourth or fifth wave is extremely avant-garde/RIO influenced instead.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2012 at 22:30
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Let's hope the fourth or fifth wave is extremely avant-garde/RIO influenced instead.

How about no? Headbanger
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 13:06

We can only hope!  However, we should all realize that the business models that brought us music from the 1960's until recently are crumbling....here's a good article:

Everyone I talk to in the music business has been griping about how bad it has been for a number of years now.  The collapse of media like LP and CD formats, which were very prog friendly, isn't helping.  Prog was always buoyed by the album, not the song.   It is nearly impossible to support yourself as a full-time musician alone, and day-jobs, families etc. can weaken the musical concentration.

In the USA, many of the brick & mortar music venues are evaporating.  We've lost Borders, Coconuts, and many independent dealers, and now Best Buy is the latest chain to start feeling the pinch of this damn recession.  

Prog has had some success with tours, and sales of collector packages & DVDs, especially to rabid fans....but the days of the bands like Tull, ELP or Yes selling out the very large venues are probably over.  

Musician's income is shrinking, so these folks have to tour, often playing in rather humiliating circumstances.  How the mighty have fallen.  

If I've missed something, let me know.  The big shows are dominated by ridiculous dancing routines, female vocalists and other non-musical attractions vs. Steve Hackett-like guitar playing.  I rarely go these days, although many of my favorite musicians are playing very small, local venues, so it is a net plus for me in a way.  

Edited by cstack3 - April 22 2012 at 13:07
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 16:48
Prog as I recognize it has been dead since the 80s.

I think the rest of the stuff is just alternative rock or metal.

Prog itself transformed into AOR in the 1980s and died alongside that genre. It needed to evolve into something more, but instead what's left of it wilted and calcified.

Prog really shared the fate of all 60s and 70s pop music. What's around today is working from a different vantage point, a different epoch of music. It's sort of b*****dized music. The so called prog today is very b*****dized, very different in perspective. Very removed from the main spirit of Prog and very attached to the superficialities of it.

A fourth generation would have to start from 60s and 70s ways of thinking about music, before they could create Prog anew.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 03:44
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

We can only hope!  However, we should all realize that the business models that brought us music from the 1960's until recently are crumbling....here's a good article:

Everyone I talk to in the music business has been griping about how bad it has been for a number of years now.  The collapse of media like LP and CD formats, which were very prog friendly, isn't helping.  Prog was always buoyed by the album, not the song.   It is nearly impossible to support yourself as a full-time musician alone, and day-jobs, families etc. can weaken the musical concentration.

In the USA, many of the brick & mortar music venues are evaporating.  We've lost Borders, Coconuts, and many independent dealers, and now Best Buy is the latest chain to start feeling the pinch of this damn recession.

While I don't disagree with the above, I think the breakdown is progressing slower than hearsay relates it. Compact discs still comprise roughly 60% of physical music sales, and vinyl has enjoyed a nice resurgence in the last few years, with about 20,000 pieces issued in either 2010 or 2011. That may not seem like a lot, but for an "obsolete" audiophile format, that's a serious number. It's also thousands more than a decade earlier. The trend can be compared to comic books, where a physical "artifact" is preferable to a digital copy. As the ranks of the young 'uns take over, there is no doubt the ratio will alter itself significantly.

A number of new brick-and-mortar outlets have opened in the last several years, and while doing so is a risky venture, I can only applaud the proprietors' gusto. I feel that the shops that have been around for decades that can weather the storm will be the last ones standing, and will eventually do very good business trading secondhand stock.

Borders was a very nice store where I enjoyed browsing (and buying, and I don't even think I ever bought a single cup of coffee there!), but their pricing structure was outmoded. Best Buy plans to close many larger stores, lay off who-knows-how-many employees, and open smaller outlets. Surprising, since I thought the chain had girded itself with the demise of Circuit City.

The big shows are dominated by ridiculous dancing routines, female vocalists and other non-musical attractions vs. Steve Hackett-like guitar playing.

That reminds me, I like to tune in to Palladia here and there, since they broadcast performances from High Voltage, Download and other fests. Concerts by Rush, Genesis and David Gilmour enjoy semi-regular rotation. One night, after, I believe, Genesis' Rome concert from a few years back (which I found myself enjoying a lot more than I ought to have) ended, a concert film by Pink started up. She's known as one of the newer wave of "girl pop-rockers" and she has always used a full band, so I figured I'd check out a couple songs for the helluvit.

It was funny to see the 'Funhouse' production consisted of heavily choreographed numbers, with the full rig of effects, backup dancers, myriad costume changes and so much movement, that I wondered if some spots had to be lip-sync'd, though she certainly was singing live much/most of the time. Her band was pretty solid, though, and I didn't know original Mars Volta bassist Eva Gardner had replaced Janis Tanaka. I was pretty impressed by Kat Lucas, who fills the rhythm guitarist and second keyboardist role, but is really there because she adds another strong voice to Pink and her two stage-left backup singers. But like you say, it was literally a big circus...or Funhouse. Big smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 13:55
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

While I don't disagree with the above, I think the breakdown is progressing slower than hearsay relates it. Compact discs still comprise roughly 60% of physical music sales, and vinyl has enjoyed a nice resurgence in the last few years, with about 20,000 pieces issued in either 2010 or 2011. That may not seem like a lot, but for an "obsolete" audiophile format, that's a serious number. It's also thousands more than a decade earlier. The trend can be compared to comic books, where a physical "artifact" is preferable to a digital copy. As the ranks of the young 'uns take over, there is no doubt the ratio will alter itself significantly.

A number of new brick-and-mortar outlets have opened in the last several years, and while doing so is a risky venture, I can only applaud the proprietors' gusto. I feel that the shops that have been around for decades that can weather the storm will be the last ones standing, and will eventually do very good business trading secondhand stock.

Borders was a very nice store where I enjoyed browsing (and buying, and I don't even think I ever bought a single cup of coffee there!), but their pricing structure was outmoded. Best Buy plans to close many larger stores, lay off who-knows-how-many employees, and open smaller outlets. Surprising, since I thought the chain had girded itself with the demise of Circuit City.

The big shows are dominated by ridiculous dancing routines, female vocalists and other non-musical attractions vs. Steve Hackett-like guitar playing.

That reminds me, I like to tune in to Palladia here and there, since they broadcast performances from High Voltage, Download and other fests. Concerts by Rush, Genesis and David Gilmour enjoy semi-regular rotation. One night, after, I believe, Genesis' Rome concert from a few years back (which I found myself enjoying a lot more than I ought to have) ended, a concert film by Pink started up. She's known as one of the newer wave of "girl pop-rockers" and she has always used a full band, so I figured I'd check out a couple songs for the helluvit.

It was funny to see the 'Funhouse' production consisted of heavily choreographed numbers, with the full rig of effects, backup dancers, myriad costume changes and so much movement, that I wondered if some spots had to be lip-sync'd, though she certainly was singing live much/most of the time. Her band was pretty solid, though, and I didn't know original Mars Volta bassist Eva Gardner had replaced Janis Tanaka. I was pretty impressed by Kat Lucas, who fills the rhythm guitarist and second keyboardist role, but is really there because she adds another strong voice to Pink and her two stage-left backup singers. But like you say, it was literally a big circus...or Funhouse. Big smile

Thanks, a remarkably well-thought-out post!  

I'm largely reliant upon what I'm told by those in the industry...I attempted to help Captain Beyond when they were trying to re-enter the music world about 2001, they had a LOT of buzz (magazine covers, a few well-received gigs at venues like House of Blues etc) but they couldn't find the financing stream to persist. 

Interestingly, guitarist Rhino (rest in peace) persisted and managed to utilize some alternative business models to create & market his last CDs, "Rhino's Last Dance" and "Rhino and the Posse" before he died.  Poor guy was spraying houses in FL for bugs, probably the source of his cancer.  

Large prog bands being underwritten by corporate interests are expiring quickly, with Yes being perhaps the swan song of this.  You are correct, there have been a lot of CD sales and compared to earlier eras, the volume of music available is vast.  However, incentives for individual musicians to attempt to push into the field are lacking, and obstacles are huge. 

John Goodsall is attempting to bring Brand X back, Ray Bennett has been working on a "new" Flash since 2000, but they just can't get traction.  I'm not sure what the future brings, but I just feel like prog as a dominant musical form (which it was in the early to mid 1970's) is dying off.  I don't see kids going into it, only old dinosaurs trying to lift themselves up once more.  

geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 17:06
If this genre of prog is dying, many old bands are coming back.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 17:40

However, incentives for individual musicians to attempt to push into the field are lacking, and obstacles are huge.
There's no disputing the above. I think that's why Zombi toured extensively for a time, then (unless somebody can correct me) they simply stopped and now do the occasional gig.

[QUOTE-cstack3]John Goodsall is attempting to bring Brand X back, Ray Bennett has been working on a "new" Flash since 2000, but they just can't get traction.[/QUOTE]

I'd heard about Brand X. I'd think that's one band that doesn't lack for clout. Too bad Phil can't jump in there on drums due to his condition.

As for Flash...is that with or without Peter Banks?

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 20:24
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

[QUOTE-cstack3]John Goodsall is attempting to bring Brand X back, Ray Bennett has been working on a "new" Flash since 2000, but they just can't get traction.

I'd heard about Brand X. I'd think that's one band that doesn't lack for clout. Too bad Phil can't jump in there on drums due to his condition.

As for Flash...is that with or without Peter Banks?

[/QUOTE]

No Peter Banks.  Long story, typical band dynamics.  I've been through that stuff myself, so I understand.  I wish Pete was with the band, but it just wouldn't fly. 

Ray Bennett has been mixing & remixing the new album, and he & Colin Carter (the only surviving members of the original band) are considering changing the name from "Flash" to "The Bennett & Carter Band," which I think would be awful.  Nobody has asked my opinion.  

They have some nice material up on Youtube, this is some good stuff - brand new, not a repeat of the older 70's material:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>