FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Water's The Wall Live

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger Water's The Wall Live
    Posted: November 20 2011 at 15:41

Roger Water's The Wall, arguably the best rock show ever produced.

Pink Floyd released their eleventh studio album on November of 1979. The Wall was the most ambitious album the band had ever released. It was an instant hit around the world producing the number one hit "Another Brick In The Wall Part II" and going Platinum within the first three months after its release. The ensuing tour was to be the grandest show ever produced for a rock concert. In fact, it ended up being so big and cumbersome that the band couldn't really set it up like a regular tour. Instead, the band opted to play the show for several nights at the time in a very few selected cities.

Despite of the lack of financial success, The Wall became the show from which all shows would be measured up against for years to come. It was, by all intent, a breakthrough in the presentation of rock concerts. It upped the ante regarding sight and sound with their state-of-the-art equipment and visual richness. It was however, the project that would end up rupturing the band's core. After The Wall, Pink Floyd would no longer consist of Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour, Rick Wright and Nick Mason. Rick, as a matter of fact, was fired during the session for the album and performed for the concerts as a hired hand (ironically and because of this, he was the only original member to make money out of the tour).

After Roger Waters walked away, the band decided to carry on as Pink Floyd. They even reinstated Wright as a member (although not officially until their last album "The Division Bell"). Waters tried to sue the band about the use of the name to no avail. The one thing he did managed to walk away with were the rights for The Wall. This, in turn, led to a huge production of "The Wall - Live in Berlin" in 1990. The event marked the falling of the Berlin wall and the unification of Germany. The concert had many guests musicians but not any of the Pink Floyd members other than Waters himself. He later released a double album of the concert which went platinum. There was, after all, still large interest on seeing the show by many who didn't have the opportunity to witness such an epic event.

Ironically, technology has more than caught up with the show's ambitions. So much more than the current production of The Wall makes the original production seem like a school rehearsal. I'm not just talking about a bigger wall here. The new projections are sharper and encompass the whole wall instead of repeating three times like the original show. There are also some amazing computer graphics that make the wall seem as if  it was moving at times. At one point, a subway train projects full-size across the bottom of the entire wall looking as if it was really there. Another highlight shows the wall rotating on a pivoting point or exploding into a colourful sunset from which a structure rises at Waters' command.

There is no doubt in my mind that The Wall is by far the best and most powerful rock show I have ever seen. Keeping in mind that I have seen Pink Floyd in four occasions as well as having seen Dave Gilmour on tour as well as Roger Waters on three different times. The Wall's power is not only created by the strength of the visuals but by symbiotic relationship between the music and all the elements surrounding it. It is truly one of those WOW! moments in one's life.

Read the full article with photos here:
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 03:08
Which performance did you attend?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 11:06
^ That's a good question.

I just saw the tour is coming around again....coming to Seattle, it was in Tacoma late last year. I still cannot swallow the high ticket prices Mr Waters is asking for. I thought, Ok maybe he will come back to reality, but nope...Still over USD100.00 for a decent seat, and about USD150.00 for good seats.

I think I will pass again.....
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 14:29
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I still cannot swallow the high ticket prices Mr Waters is asking for. I thought, Ok maybe he will come back to reality, but nope...Still over USD100.00 for a decent seat, and about USD150.00 for good seats.

I'm not sure it's Mr. Waters who asks for prices, there are promoters etc. And the show is far from being cheap. It's today's reality.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 14:41
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I still cannot swallow the high ticket prices Mr Waters is asking for. I thought, Ok maybe he will come back to reality, but nope...Still over USD100.00 for a decent seat, and about USD150.00 for good seats.

I'm not sure it's Mr. Waters who asks for prices, there are promoters etc. And the show is far from being cheap. It's today's reality.

Absolutely, but the huge irony is, of course, that Waters is now performing and charging the self same arena prices that this album was originally such a reaction against.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 15:42

Then he needs to find cheaper costing promoters, etc. I have NEVER paid $100 for one ticket to a concert........and I go to 3-4 every summer season.
The Rush Time Machine was only $75pp for first section, Iron Maiden was $65-$80 (2 of my kids wanted the Pit area). Both shows were well worth the money, visually the Time Machine is a complete mind freak for the price.

If I want front section for The Wall its $150pp.....That's high end pricing to me.
leonalvarado View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 16:02
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Which performance did you attend?

Houston, Texas.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 16:03
I don't know realities of showbiz and can't say whether cheaper promoters can provide the same level of the show.

By the way, now in Russia $100 - 150 is not a high price for concerts like this.
For example tickets to forthcoming Paul McCarntney gig at Olympyisky stadium cost from $55 to $3500 ($100 - 150 average). 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 17:26
The prices are unbelievably high but what concert's isn't these days? With music sales down, the artists make most of their money by touring. The Wall show was budgeted at a cost of around $60,000,000.00. That said, it won't be cheap. I caught the tour in Houston, Texas. It was the best thing I have ever seen in concert. Next year's first show of the U.S. leg is in Houston again. I already bought two tickets (the first time I went by myself but for the second time I decided to bring my wife along). It is that good.

As far as tickets prices go, I remember seeing Peter Gabriel's Security tour for $11.00 and Genesis for $12.50 (sixth row centre). Most concerts I used to go oscillated between $7.00 (Talking Heads) and $15.75 in price. But then again, the big thing then was music sales and not the other way around.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 17:29

I don't know realities of showbiz and can't say whether cheaper promoters can provide the same level of the show.

By the way, now in Russia $100 - 150 is not a high price for concerts like this.
For example tickets to forthcoming Paul McCarntney gig at Olympyisky stadium cost from $55 to $3500 ($100 - 150 average). 

That being said I doubt I will be going to any show in Russia.....Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 18:03
^ Tickets to concerts of local artists, especially prog, jazz, jazz-rock, are not expensive, often about $20 in small clubs, so welcome to Russia. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 21:34
That's  great but you won't see somebody like Peter Gabriel for that price even in Russia.
broseidon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2012 at 03:49
Too expensive, I'd pay that much if it was the Floyd. I can't afford to go to many concerts so I just go see the sh*tty bands play at the Seattle bars for $5-15. 
You know, acts like Eric Johnson, Firewind, and Animals as Leaders lol. It's sad how bad the economy is for prog acts not from the 70's.
Less can't mean more that doesn't make sense, more is more - Yngwie Malmsteen
bryandude View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Hey Dude Don't Spam Here

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 02:18
Last time attended the Floyd concert...though costly but it was worth to watch!!! That was fun and great to be there!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 07:09
I have seen this concert too, maybe three years ago. And although Waters is a pro palestine, more than 50,000 people attended that show in israel. Awsome show!! snowy white was the lead guitarist.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 07:16
^ 3 years ago it was another show, not "The Wall". Though great too. With lots of Floyd and Waters solo songs and DTSOM in its entirety.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 07:23
Your absolutely right i got them mixed up. Embarrassed
Melgashi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 20:42
Last thursday I attended the show in Rio, Brazil. Tickets were 140 dollars.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 07:38
HI,

This is the review for the show in Portland, Oregon on 05/22/2012
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 07:46

This is not like paying the same price for The Eagles or Fleetwood Mac. If that is all this music is about for you, then yeah ... I would not go either.

This show, unlike 99% of everything out there, is a once in a lifetime opportunity and if you don't catch it ... too late, and it's over.

People barely get one chance in life to catch a "major" ... and this is one show that is impossible to continue doing like Chuck Berry does or BB King does.

It's up to you ... if all it is, is a bunch of rock'n'roll songs, then The Wall is not for you anyway, and the only reason you would want to see it is to hear your guitar hero do Comfortably Numb again ... well, I can tell you that Snowy can play that as good, if not better than Dave can ... so comparing the two is silly and bizarre. But you will never, ever, have a chance to see a meaningful show of music in your life ... yeah ... best go see Madonna ... she likes the millions for her manicures and pedicures so she can lok prettier on the stage! Ohhh ... her blond wigs!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>