Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPre (USA/Symphonic)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre (USA/Symphonic)
    Posted: November 23 2011 at 08:24

Found a bio from New Gibraltar Encyclopedia of prog rock:

Pre formed in February 1973 in Kentucky, recorded an album and disbanded by December of the same year. The album was never released until 1994. Pre were a quintet of Alfred Collinsworth (vocals, 12-string guitars), Larry Collinsworth (electric 6- and 12-string guitars), Brian Paulson (Hammond organ, electric and acoustic pianos, Mini-Moog), Steve DeMoss (bass, vibes, glockenspiel) and Dwight Dunlap (drums, percussion). Pre is a mixed collection of styles. "The Path" is the opening instrumental, a brief acoustic guitar duet with dashes of piano. This is followed by "Who's Laughing Now," an acoustic guitar ballad of love scorned. "Bowing Down" is a three and a half minute of bowed electric guitar noodling on top of 12-string acoustics. At nearly 60 minutes of music, it is likely that some of these less than interesting songs would have been cut from an LP release, though historical value warrants their inclusion.

The meat of Pre's style is represented by songs like the five minute "Water Meeting," the eleven minute "Ascetic Eros" and the side-long "Ballet For a Blind Man." Like many American bands in the mid-'70s, Pre shows strong influences of Yes circa The Yes Album and Close to the Edge. Not only do Larry Collinsworth and Brian Paulson show influences of Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman, respectively, but the arrangement and development of the longer songs, divided into multiple parts, are similar to Yes' episodic style. DeMoss and Dunlap do not compare to Squire and Bruford, nor does Alfred Collinsworth's somewhat forced vocal style compare to the ease of Anderson. Paulson's keyboard work also shows influences of Keith Emerson, but without the bombastic presentation, so some comparisons to ELP can be made. Additionally, Larry Collinsworth's bowed guitar adds an eerie sheen to the mix, particularly welcome in the varied and inventive "Ballet for a Blind Man." While few American bands tuly hold up against their influences, Pre adds enough melodic originality to make most of this resurrected music an interesting listen. -- Mike Taylor

Pre keyboardist Brian E. Paulson wrote to let me (and, by extension, you GEPR readers) know that he's still around and still making music. He said, "I am still progressive but in a more horizontal mode". I asked him if this meant he played laying down, to which he replied, "I meant that I have incorporated more of a global music source". So does that mean "New Agey", as his web site (see link below) might lead you to believe? Of this he says, "I know my site looks a little 'New Agey', but it really focuses on Brain Sync and Resonance. This music was a direct reaction to the new age crap that is out there. If you speed up some of my 'psycho-active' CD's, it sound very progressive."

Brian wanted to let me know that Keyboard Magazine was printing a review of his latest solo album, Quirk. The review has been published now, and they called Quirk a "jazz fusion" disk, and compared the keyboards to Joe Zawinul (though another song is compared to Phish, if that makes any sense at all). At any rate, you can check out this and other Brian E. Paulson works at his web site link below.

Also, for those who have interest in Pre's sole release, Brian says, "Pre is out of pressing , but is still available thru me only as a clone CDR of my master. Interested parties can call direct 317-896-9156." I don't think he would have given me his phone number if he didn't want me to pass it along, so there you go! -- Fred Trafton
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 08:47

Hi. I am in the symph evaluation team. Do you have more listening samples for us ? From what I hear, this is stuff for our team and I will suggest them to the two other members. 

But more listening samples please and if you are in touch with the band; please PM me. I also do interviews.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 09:05
I am in no way in touch with the band, but you can expect a PM from me with more samples very soon.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 09:46

I got it.

I am very grateful to you for your suggestion and your kindness. Feel free to suggest more bands. Clap

GentleGiant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 03:08
One of the rarest release on CD by ZNR Records (ZNR CD 5001/1992).Great sympho prog band in the same style with
Pentwater, Ethos, Mirthrandir, Chakra. Thumbs Up

BeGiantForADay

"This British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity,progress and originality in their mix."

http://rateyourmusic.com/~GentleG
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 05:52

Pre has been approved (100 %) and will be added sometimes within the next hours/days.

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 06:15
Excellent Symphonic - thanks for this!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 12:01
Congrats to historian9! this is THE best an old band suggestion since I'm a member of PA Forum ; also a big suprise for Sympho Rock guys who were looking for a holy gral like this over the years! Cheers, Historian Beer
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 12:49

Band and album added at http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=35495

Band picture is missing and I have asked the band for one.

Thanx again to Historian9 for invaluable help. Clap 

GentleGiant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 13:09
If the information is useful, there are two tracks that have subtitles:
5.Ascetic Eros
 a)Ascetic Eros
 b)Hymn Of Transfiguration
8.Ballet For A Blind Man
 a)Fields Of Darkness
 b)Is It You Who's Caught The Blues?
 c)Must Have Been Ten Years
c&p ZNR RECORDS 1992 (ZNR CD 5001)
BeGiantForADay

"This British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity,progress and originality in their mix."

http://rateyourmusic.com/~GentleG
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 13:16
Album updated. Thanx ! Clap
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 18:10
Originally posted by GentleGiant GentleGiant wrote:

One of the rarest release on CD by ZNR Records (ZNR CD 5001/1992).Great sympho prog band in the same style with
Pentwater, Ethos, Mirthrandir, Chakra. Thumbs Up

Doesn't appear that Chakra are actually on the archives as yet - perhaps this maybe worth looking into? Not a lot is known about them really, but the general consensus seems to be that their single 1979 self-titled release is a decent slab of Yes/Rush inspired prog.

That wonderful resource for all things prog, gepr, have only one line about them:

"Chakra [USA]
Chakra (79)
Pleasant symphonic prog from a Southern California band who only ever put out this one album. Very similar in style to the Syn-Phonic bands, and ought to appeal to fans of Lift, Pentwater, etc. -- Mike Ohman"

This guy Jim Zabel: http://homepage.mac.com/jzabel57/C1569005882/E1396042382/index.html, who plays (or played - it's quite an old post...) with a band called ZED57, actually went to school with the members of Chakra, and the email address given for him is [email protected], so he might be able to provide the full bio for you if the band is accepted, but for now let's just say they were a complex, synth-heavy US 5-piece (though one guy only sang) progressive rock band from Orange County, CA. whose lyrics had a Christian theme.

MUSICIANS
- Nigel Redmon / keyboards
- Tom Maxwell / drums
- John Ugarte / bass
- David Lamb / vocal
- Mark Blumenfeld / guitar

TRACKLIST
1. Key To The Kingdom (5:16)
2. Miles Before You (5:35)
3. The Teacher Returns (2:51)
4. Newborn (5:57)
5. Loose Ends (6:49)
6. Jer'maker (2:59)
7. Captain America (5:28)
8. Finally (3:21)

GPR reissued the album as a CD (777 copies only, ref GDR 2090502841094, supplied in an LP sleeve) and limited edition vinyl (LP ref - GDR0701, & only 400 of these were pressed as far as I know). It originally came out in the U.S. as a privately released album on the BrotherStudio label in 1979, the LP numbering was A1-4 and B1-4.

Links to the sites with some of the above info:

And finally the music:

Tracks 1,2,3:

Tracks 4,5:

Tracks 6,7,8:

Maybe this post ought to be moved to its own thread in this forum, I don't know, but since I only learned of the existence of Chakra through GentleGiant's post in the first place I thought I'd start off with it here.
I'll p.m. this info to Iván anyway, since it seems likely that his team will want the first stab at them.

Edit: The CD reissue of the album by GPR referred to above was in 2007.

Edited by yam yam - November 24 2011 at 19:40
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 18:16
I can't listen to the music now but if you want I can split the thread, David. 
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 18:16
Well that was a quick inclusion! And my first successful suggestion too.

One question though, is it okay to put some or even just one sample like youtube ones in the first post to on the video section of their page? When I click on adding video, it just gives me internal server error, I don't know if it's because it's a new band page or something else is wrong on my end.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 18:42
Originally posted by historian9 historian9 wrote:

Well that was a quick inclusion! And my first successful suggestion too.

One question though, is it okay to put some or even just one sample like youtube ones in the first post to on the video section of their page? When I click on adding video, it just gives me internal server error, I don't know if it's because it's a new band page or something else is wrong on my end.

LOL! Same thing happens to me every time!! - I've made about 30 attempts since June this year, and every one resulted in the same error message! I posted about this a couple of times in the 'Report Bugs' section fo the forum to try and get some help with the matter, as I'm convinced it is something to do with the way our particular accounts are configured rather than a general software problem. Lots of folks add videos to the site without any issues, and I did too up until June, when I made a change to my account on here. I'm sure there is an unintentional block of some sort in place. No solution has been forthcoming as yet though. Cry
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 18:57
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I can't listen to the music now but if you want I can split the thread, David. 

It may not actually be necessary Alex.
I pm'd the whole post, exactly as it appears above, to Iván. I would imagine he will either get his team to evaluate them based on the samples included (the whole album, in fact) or else he will suggest an alternative team to move the suggestion to if he decides the band are not symphonic enough.

I'll leave the decision up to you on whether or not to split. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply