Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's Talk About Leprous - Bilateral

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 07:52

Prog Metal feast of the year, no doubt about it.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 13:24
I quite liked this album. Shocked
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 13:29
Shocked  I like it alot more than I expected to like it too.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 03:06
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Prog Metal feast of the year, no doubt about it.

I agree with you! Wink
In my top 10 of 2011.

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 04:28
All the 3 cd's of this band are very good, great band. To me it's a more progressive version of Unexpect.

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 05:20
^Err, what? They're nothing like Unexpect.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 05:34
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Did you listen to both bands recently? You can read reviews to know that i am not the only finding this similarity. And as far as i am concern, there are listed on the same categories (tech/extreme/prog metal) Just that Leprous have a lot more quieter moments, but when they show there more extreme side, there some Unexpect influence, (vocals harmonies, time signatures)

Edited by rdtprog - December 06 2011 at 05:35
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 10:11
I've only heard a couple of Unexpect songs; if I recall the vocals were on the extreme side that I don't care for too much.  They appear here and there on this Leprous album but don't seem to bother me at all.  Anyhow, I am give Bilateral another spin now. 

What are some of your favorite songs or parts of songs that really make you go wow!?  I really like the opening track Bilateral, which I think is a great opener. 

Anyhow, I said originally that this album reminds me a bit of Haken.  As I am listening to it again, at least vocally, it reminds me of Devon Graves (aka Buddy Lackey) and Deadsoul Tribe.  Is anybody else reminded of him/them?
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 12:06
I really like Leprous.   I love Unexpect.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 12:31
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Did you listen to both bands recently? You can read reviews to know that i am not the only finding this similarity. And as far as i am concern, there are listed on the same categories (tech/extreme/prog metal) Just that Leprous have a lot more quieter moments, but when they show there more extreme side, there some Unexpect influence, (vocals harmonies, time signatures)

Yes, repeatedly (both of their new albums are amongst my most heavily listened to this year) and its still no. TPS reminded me a lot of Opeth but they've backed off the metal and shouty vocals a fair bit for Bilateral. Unexpect are an Avant-Tech-Death band with all sorts of goodly weirdness thrown in and whos vocal melodies are closer to classic Pain of Salvation (with added growls) than anything else.

Personally Leprous arent that technical or extreme, they're just bloody good.

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 12:34
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I've only heard a couple of Unexpect songs; if I recall the vocals were on the extreme side that I don't care for too much.  They appear here and there on this Leprous album but don't seem to bother me at all.  Anyhow, I am give Bilateral another spin now. 

What are some of your favorite songs or parts of songs that really make you go wow!?  I really like the opening track Bilateral, which I think is a great opener. 

Anyhow, I said originally that this album reminds me a bit of Haken.  As I am listening to it again, at least vocally, it reminds me of Devon Graves (aka Buddy Lackey) and Deadsoul Tribe.  Is anybody else reminded of him/them?

Hard to pick out favourites since there are no weak tracks IMO, but the Bilateral, Forced Entry, Thorn, Mb. Indifferentia and Painful Detour are all brilliant.

The only DST album I've got is A Murder of Crows and I havnt listened to that for years since I dont like it, but I wouldnt compare them to Buddy Lacky circa Psychotic Waltz. To an extent I can get the Haken comparison though.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 13:16
I've not listened to Deadsoul Tribe in quite a while, but for some reason that is who came to mind while listening to this album this time around.  Don't really know why.  My ears/brain work in strange ways.  I have all of the Deadsoul Tribe albums, but I've never gotten around to listening to Psychotic Waltz, other than a handful of songs.  I really must do that one of these days.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 14:12

I like Leprous and Bilateral is a step up from Tall Poppy Syndrome. (Incidentally, I read Teo's review about 5-6 times when I was an obsessive PA dude.) The review may have ruined the band for me because I was expecting so much after reading the review. They were much straighter than I expected. Good, but no real surprises.

While very strong, it doesn't blow me away. Unexpect blows me away and this is nothing like Unexpect. The band Shaolin Death Squad sits somewhere midway between the two bands, and I would steer people who like Leprous and are willing to go a little more avant to that band. Unexpect is insanity and on a whole different level.

Haken is a much better comparison. Enslaved also has some similarities as they've moved more prog and less black. I also hear Styx.

I don't hear the Psychotic Waltz / DST that much either. But if anyone is interested in DST get Lullaby for the Devil, it's their best. PW best is Into the Everflow by far.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
igySK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 06:31
One of my favourite recent albums, definitely worth checking out if you don't know them
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12