Topic ClosedRoxy Music clones in music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roxy Music clones in music
    Posted: November 29 2011 at 06:53
I have just wonderd that in the 80s many of the Neo-prog bands have been called clones of Genesis, or they are been said that they are very influenced, (i don't like using the word clone, but it sort of fits the way i will build this thread)

I now listen to Orchestral Manouvers in the Dark, and i found them sound like Roxy Music, i have felt te same with Talking Heads and Japan and even Talk Talk,. it is both heard in the synth, the guitar work but also the crooning vocals is appearant in the music, so i think is Roxys influence in the 80s as big as Genesis, they seem to be everywhere if one look closly on Neo prog, New wave and were both meats in synth rock, both bands seems to have laid its mark on the 80s sound, both Tony Banks synths and keybord pioneering and Bryan Ferrys crooning and songwriting.

im also blatantly looking for a band have 50% of Roxy and 50% of Genesis in the music, Tongue,  a clone of the two, who comes closest to that.

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 07:00
Hmm, both David Byrne and Bryan Ferry are influential, and as such I don't think I've seen the former being called a clone of the latter.  

Edited by irrelevant - November 29 2011 at 07:01
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 07:35
Roxy is influencual to most 80s synth and new wave bands, that include Talking Heads

Edited by aginor - November 29 2011 at 07:37
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 07:40
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Roxy is influencual to most 80s synth and new wave bands, that include Talking Heads

ok. I guess you were talking more about the influence on the sound in general. 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 07:47
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

ok. I guess you were talking more about the influence on the sound in general. 
yeah i doo, i just like that sound, it is raw but still the synths makes it also mystical, and airy, and airy is one of my favourit moods in music with etheral and lush
zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 08:20
then you must get Ladytron's Gravity The Seducer, superb lush elegiac electro-pop......
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 08:53

I have just wonderd that in the 80s many of the Neo-prog bands have been called clones of Genesis, or they are been said that they are very influenced, (i don't like using the word clone, but it sort of fits the way i will build this thread)

I now listen to Orchestral Manouvers in the Dark, and i found them sound like Roxy Music, i have felt te same with Talking Heads and Japan and even Talk Talk,. it is both heard in the synth, the guitar work but also the crooning vocals is appearant in the music, so i think is Roxys influence in the 80s as big as Genesis, they seem to be everywhere if one look closly on Neo prog, New wave and were both meats in synth rock, both bands seems to have laid its mark on the 80s sound, both Tony Banks synths and keybord pioneering and Bryan Ferrys crooning and songwriting.

im also blatantly looking for a band have 50% of Roxy and 50% of Genesis in the music, Tongue,  a clone of the two, who comes closest to that.

Good luck with the 50-50.
But you might like pulp's albums This is hardcore and We love life.
Early Pulp is totally Roxy cloning,but those last albums they became more 'dreamy'.
2 great albums that may help you on your way in your search. 
Shake & bake.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 10:33
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Good luck with the 50-50.
But you might like pulp's albums This is hardcore and We love life.
Early Pulp is totally Roxy cloning,but those last albums they became more 'dreamy'.
2 great albums that may help you on your way in your search. 
thanks, will look them up now,

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 13:14
Early Ultravox! too to a lesser extent than Japan or Talk Talk perhaps, and John Foxx  didn't go in for the Ferryesque crooning, but the influence is there in the music.
What?
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2011 at 12:39
french band Marquis de Sade :
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2011 at 12:44
I wouldn't worry too much about the clones.  Beware of the zombies though. Big smile

Skip the clones and go straight Phil Manzaneraville.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 04 2011 at 12:48
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 10:36
I'm surprised that Icehouse isn't mentioned as being heavily influenced by Roxy Music. Even though I wouldn't consider Icehouse as a prog band, they do seem to center on the pop aspects that are familiar in some of RMs more accessible tracks (The "Primitive Man" album is a great example where I hear a lot of RM influence).
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 14:47
Though not prog=I would add Simple Minds and, by Bono's own admission,  U2. Throw in Fiction Factory, the incredibly similar ABC (I am a fan) , the Sadistic Mika Band , Irish pop band the Adventures, the Fixx, Aha, Alphaville, Duran Duran, Men Without Hats, Japan, Talk Talk, Icehouse, The Expression (a stunning Aussie band), Real Life, China Crisis, John Foxx, Ultravox,  Naked Eyes, New Muzik, The Cure, Peter Godwin, Metro, Danse Society, Dalek I Love You, Icicle Works, Magazine, Level 42, Modern English, Moev, Propaganda, Red Seven, Sade, Spoons, Stranglers, Vitamin Z and Xymox. 
That about covers it, probably forgot a few.......Cool
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 15:37
The most obvious is of course The Explorers:

Edited by Dean - March 24 2014 at 15:41
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply