Topic ClosedThe Oneira

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Oneira
    Posted: November 29 2011 at 12:23

Italy based trio THE ONEIRA was formed in 2010, and is the creative vehicle of composer and guitarist Filippos Gougoumis. Musically interested fom a young age, it was in 2010 that he got the time to pursue his musical ideas following his final degree in Medicine. And as his ideas developed, it was time to form a band so that these could be recorded for posterity and hopefully also make an artistic and commercial impact by fellow musicians and fans alike. Due to that he hooked up with drummer Erik Spedicato and keyboardist Giampolo Begnini, both of them professional musicians, and The Oneira was born. One year later the threesome had their debut effort ready, entitled Natural Prestige, and released it through French label Musea Records.

I got in touch with  them and Filippos answered my questions.

###################################################################################

When and by whom was your band born ? Did any of you, past and present members, play in any other bands before joining up in your band ? Why did you choose that name and which bands were you influenced by ?

The band has been created by Filippos Gougoumis of Greek nationality, produced, composer and guitar player,thanks to an advice of Filippo’s friend who convinced him to play again.
Filippos began to play since the age of 15 in several concerts at schools,and did not have a real musician carrier because of his university studies. During University he used to play in not professional bands.He has always kept informed about music news and always attended the music world going to several concerts in several places in Europe,has always kept updated about the evolution of Progressive Rock in all it’s shapes.Erik e Giampaolo are professional musicians,they have played in several bands of lower fame.At the moment Erik has a music school where he teaches Drums and Percussion,instead Giampaolo teaches Keyboards in another school.In 2010 I decided (Iam Filippos) to create our own bands together with them,because of our common passion for the same kind of music.
As far as it is concerning the band’s name in Greek “THE ONEIRA“ it means THE DREAMS,it’s generic word with a deep meaning,in this case it rappresents a purpose to reach,a dream that becomes reality.Also the cd’s cover made with a “dark gothic” style,is linked to this concept and was born by a Filippos idea and realized by Jan Urlund.
Our musical inspirations,for sure come from bands that made music history which are very well known … Rush,Genesis,Yes,Journey,Styx,Def Leppard and other…

How is the music scene in your local area ?

In North Italy there are very good bands,as well as others not professional, some of them, actually,instead of composing there own music,use other groups’ and singers’ songs, always so famous.

For those of us unfamiliar with your music; how would you describe you music ?

I’d rather say our music is a “Rock Neo-Progressive Symphonic”,It can also be called “Crossover Prog” style,in some articles they wrote “Progressive Rock Pomp” but one thing is sure: it is not Classical music… 
I would like to be clear about one think: I read several articles about “THE ONEIRA” it is not an Italian Progressive band,it is an International band,we are far from the typical Italian Prog.
About our music is pleasant,melodic,easy to listen and the listener is never bored.
As far as lyric is concerning,the help given to as by the writer Giusi Dangelico has been very useful,she always took as guiding line the titles and the subjects of the songs.
Our subjects are Nature,Time and Space adventures with their sense of freedom.None of our songs is about love:too many are the songs and the lyrics full of love words,often similar one each other,repeating and redundant… This is valid for commercial music too.Who knows? Maybe you people will listen to a song of us with love and feelings too in the future. You never know..

Your debut album Natural Prestige was released earlier this year. Please tell us more about this album.

Our album came up and has been distributed the 13 September 2011.
Actually, I am the unique producer of the album I completed the composition of all the ten songs in the 2010 and I took personal care of the rythms of the drums and of the sounds of the keyboards,besides the guitars and the bass. Erik e Giampaolo gave their input to improve the work I had already made and recorded their share.
As far as Oliver Philipps is concerning, the leader of the Everon band, he listened, Ichochromata, and remained pleasantely impressed.
We recorded most of the cd in Italy, and a minor part in Germany, where Oliver gave his useful help playing keyboards,guitars and especially…with his magic voice.We also had another guest: Gianluca Martoriello,nicknamed “Vincent King”,who gave us his voice in two whole songs,and sang together with Oliver in two other songs.Maybe in the future he will be a member of the band….let’s see..
The album has been mixed by the great Christian Moos,the well known drummer of the Everon.Once we finished all the recordings in december 2010,that means in the first months of the year 2011,the work had already come to its conclusion (mixed and masterized).After that,I sent the links to some recording companies and we have been lucky…we received an answer by the French recording house Musea Records,that I believe it is one of the most important recording companies for Rock Progressive.

What have you been up to since the release of that album and what is your plans for the immediate future ?

We are waiting to see all the developements of our first album,we’d like to play in concerts,but unfortunately each of us has his own activities and jobs.I for example,can’t dedicate all the time I would like to music,because of my job of responsability.
The two other members of the band, are very busy too with their job (they both teach music at schools).
In the next future we are anyway available to play live, if we will be required with an interesting offer,but not alone as a group for the moment,because our songs are still too few for an whole concert.
In the future,for sure,you people will hear about us again with new songs,new lyrics and new subjects.

To wrap up this interview, is there anything you want to add to this interview ?

We are always looking for new experiences in Prog Rock.
Our purpose is the good music,the satisfaction of playing,that it may be pleasant for us and for the listeners.

Thank you to Filippos for this interview

Their PA profile is here and the homepage is here

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - November 29 2011 at 12:23
 Post Reply Post Reply