Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Progressive Rock truly pretentious?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
stacyj View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Progressive Rock truly pretentious?
    Posted: May 31 2012 at 21:16
...well,im only on about it cause,
"if you think that its pretentious,youve been taken for a ride,
look across the mirror sonny,before you chose a side,
it is real......it is raalllll"
"cause its only rock and roll,but i like it" Wink
The key word in all of this? =  IT !!! Smile
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 04:29
I think all self expression could be deemed pretentious in as much as it presumes a caring recipient.
Ergo, how to avoid pretension? Easy, assume that no-one is remotely interested in what you have to express.
Reductio ad absurdum: there is no longer any art. (happy now?)

This is a pretentious post.(Admin edit)
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 01:41
^ That's the part where the author's intentions may not be quite clear.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 23:51
Prog that tries too hard can be pretentious but that's BS stuff like super lame prog metal that just sounds like recycled copies of everything. Or some of this djent stuff is just silly breakdowns for the sake of writing silly breakdowns.

But true prog rock cannot be pretentious because it is exactly the music that naturally flows out of the people that make it. Am I pretentious because when I play I don't want to be bored and I want to stay excited?
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 22:20
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Maybe we've been asking the wrong question all along. ? How does one know (not think, know) what is pretentious?

first you have to know  [ even some prog fans don't know it ]  what is progresive rock ? Smile
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 19:10
^ So, anything that's pretentious is the real deal? Is that what you are saying? Or just that specific album was the real deal?
stacyj View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 18:49
 Naaaaa!  I take that phrase,
"that if you think its pretentious,youve been taken for a ride"!
as meaning,what the artist was referring to,
was the real deal! ...um,that make sense?Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 17:17
Maybe we've been asking the wrong question all along. ? How does one know (not think, know) what is pretentious?
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 17:09
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> Many prog band did the music they did just because it was fun like Jethro Tull. I don't think it is pretentious.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
areazione View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 13:04
Prog rock, at least the real core of it, is truly pretentious by construction. Otherwise it would have not been created from the very first day.

As Miles Davis played, So What?
Umbra profunda sumus, ne nos vexetis, inepti; non vos, sed doctos tam grave quaerit opus
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 01:06
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

And yet, if a band the critics liked had those same traits, they would get away with, assuming they didn't do something like, say, make an equivalent of Bob Dylan's Self Portrait.
Is that the album where Dylan covered songs by people who were influenced by him? In my opinion, that's the exact opposite of being pretentious. :-) Critics hated that album because their great Dylan, whom they were hoping would lead and execute the revolution on their behalf, dared to put himself at the same level of people like Gordon Lightfoot, Simon & Garfunkel, et al. "Look, man, I'm just a singer in a rock & roll band," he seemed to be saying.

Yeah, that's the one. I keep forgetting that's why Dylan made the album in the first place.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 00:52

And yet, if a band the critics liked had those same traits, they would get away with, assuming they didn't do something like, say, make an equivalent of Bob Dylan's Self Portrait.
Is that the album where Dylan covered songs by people who were influenced by him? In my opinion, that's the exact opposite of being pretentious. :-) Critics hated that album because their great Dylan, whom they were hoping would lead and execute the revolution on their behalf, dared to put himself at the same level of people like Gordon Lightfoot, Simon & Garfunkel, et al. "Look, man, I'm just a singer in a rock & roll band," he seemed to be saying.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 00:49

Wow, I guess you guys aren't native English speakers. To say, "It ain't Dylan," doesn't literally mean that the lead singer of Kansas isn't Bob Dylan. It means, it's not up to a high level, lyrically speaking. I could have said, "It's not Shakespeare." Or, "It's not Gershwin," "it's not Cole Porter," "It's not Lennon/McCartney." But maybe Kansas is up to that level, I don't know. Honestly, I only know like 3 of their songs, haha :-) 'Was just kidding around :-)

My apologies for the misunderstanding.  I do have to admit, though, that "Desolation Row" alone outshines anything Kansas ever penned. Big smile At least in the lyrics department.

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - May 29 2012 at 00:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 00:24
^ We know it's not literal. Nobody said we meant it literally, nor did we imply that.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 29 2012 at 00:26
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 00:12

Why would anybody do Dylan when they can be themselves? Why does anybody have to be Dylan?

Because if they don't they're labeled as pretentious. If they do, then they're labeled as poseurs, not unlike punk rock. Embracing progressive rock as bad beacuse it's for phonies, yet following punk means you're most likely a poseur. It's a lose-lose situation: "Look, but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, but don't swallow."
To say, "It ain't Dylan," doesn't literally mean that the lead singer of Kansas isn't Bob Dylan. It means, it's not up to a high level, lyrically speaking. I could have said, "It's not Shakespeare." Or, "It's not Gershwin," "it's not Cole Porter," "It's not Lennon/McCartney." But maybe Kansas is up to that level, I don't know. I was trying to imply that the lyrics to "Carry On Wayward Son" are a trifle pretentious. Honestly, I only know like 3 of their songs, haha :-) 'Was just kidding around :-)

Edited by jude111 - May 29 2012 at 00:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 22:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

While some Prog bands like Yes and ELP were bombastic and showy and therefore were an easy target for ridicule, that wasn't why the word "pretentious" was used - most of the Prog bands at that time were not bombast or showy, yet they were still called "pretentious". If the reason why Prog was called "pretentious" was because of the second meaning of the word (ie ostentatious) then it would imply that everything was just for show... a facade, and that clearly isn't the case (even with Yes and ELP). They used the word in its primary meaning - arrogance - pretending to be important - delusions of grandeur -elitism. 

I really don't understand why critics just say that progressive rock isn't their cup of tea, rather than basing their reasons on some ridiculous philosophy of theirs. I mean, if Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band really is the worst thing to happen to the lives of guys like, say, Punk77, then I congratulate them for having a better life than me.

Why would anybody do Dylan when they can be themselves? Why does anybody have to be Dylan?

Because if they don't they're labeled as pretentious. If they do, then they're labeled as poseurs, not unlike punk rock. Embracing progressive rock as bad beacuse it's for phonies, yet following punk means you're most likely a poseur. It's a lose-lose situation: "Look, but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, but don't swallow."

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - May 28 2012 at 22:46
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 00:45

Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

As with just about everything, some people are very pretentious and some are totally not pretentious.

ELP = pretentious 
Kansas = not pretentious
Really? I always thought Kansas were very pretentious. "Carry on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done, lay your weary head to rest, and don't you cry no more." I mean, it ain't Dylan. :-) 

So as lyricists they are equal?

Edited by jude111 - May 27 2012 at 00:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 00:40

Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

As with just about everything, some people are very pretentious and some are totally not pretentious.

ELP = pretentious 
Kansas = not pretentious
Really? I always thought Kansas were very pretentious. "Carry on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done, lay your weary head to rest, and don't you cry no more." I mean, it ain't Dylan. :-) 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 22:50
^^^ I think American music journalism and critique has another problem apart being, possibly, nation centric. They are obsessed with formats; in fact, formats are the holy grail for them.  When some musicians don't slot perfectly in the existing formats, they dismiss them as pretentious/overambitious, etc.  European rock music in the 60s and 70s was all about breaking free from formats.  It is not just prog rock from Britain, American radio didn't embrace a much more accessible artist like Minnie Riperton either simply because they didn't know whether to call it rock or R&B.  

Edited by rogerthat - May 26 2012 at 22:50
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 21:24

[OK. Didn't know that. Big deal. And since we are just focusing on the 70's criticism of prog, then let it be as you said it, 'cause I was born in '91. 
Rock journalism, particuarly American rock journalism, was really bad in the 70s in my opinion. Particularly those at the American magazine Rolling Stone. They ridiculed prog but promoted "geniuses" like Bob Seger, Jackson Browne, and Tom Petty.

Has anyone else noticed how nation-centric rock journalism tended to be? American music magazines for the most part promoted American bands. (And let's not forget, prog was mainly a European phenomenon.) I remember reading American reviews of The Smiths - those rare times when they were even reviewed - and being trashed or at best dismissed by American reviewers. Or look how the Anglo-Saxon world has never really given props to Serge Gainsbourg (by the way, he probably belongs here, if for no other reason than 'HISTOIRE DE MELODY NELSON"). (But I digress...)

I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd, and reading through old reviews, I noticed: Floyd was reviewed enthusiastically by the English press. (Both UMMAGUMMA and ATOM HEART MOTHER were lauded as masterpieces at the time by an enthusiastic British music press.) However when the American press began to take notice of Floyd, the Americans dismissed and disparaged them. The British press then dutifully followed suit and mimicked the American rock press. One can see the entire political landscape and American-British relations just by following the reviews of Pink Floyd! Fascinating...

Edited by jude111 - May 26 2012 at 21:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>