Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Progressive Rock truly pretentious?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Progressive Rock truly pretentious?
    Posted: December 05 2011 at 04:36
I know it kinda sounds stupid but a lyric in the song It really spoke when it said and I quote "If you think that its pretentious, you've been taken for a ride." So I'm gonna ask you. How would you define pretentious and does it set with Prog music? 

MY IDOLS
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 05:15
Pretentious : "Making unjustified or excessive claims as of value, or standing".

It is true that Prog has this image for the non-prog listener of a pompous, needlessly intellectual music. I do not think it is true for the genre or for any of the subscenes, as genres : they are neutral ways of making music.
When it comes to musicians, the virtuoso approach can indeed sometimes sound pretentious if that makes any sense. Obvious examples are Emerson or Dream Theater, people that I often hear described as "playing for their own sake". Which can be discussed.
I don't know any but I am sure some prog "fans" too like to feel themselves superior because of the music they enjoy.

To cut it short (or rather shorter, as I am not accustomed with long and documented posts), the music is not pretentious, the people can be. But it still is a minor characteristic that is overblown by the main audience imo, following the punk pattern : "anyone can do music, so why do these old jazz people want us to lear odd time signatures, modes, harmonies ? f**k off, let me play my riffs".

As a minor "downside" to the genre it can be played upon -try to make the most complicated riff, blend as many influences as possible, just for fun - but the masterpieces of Prog - Brave, SEBTP, Aqualung, Images and Words,  etc speak to everybody with a rock sensibility at one point or another, without sounding pretentious, just good music.
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 05:25
In general, no, not in the least. Of course there will be a few bands or albums that can reasonably have the finger pointed at them and called pretentious, but its a rarity rather than the norm.

If you want pretention, look at Hip-Hop.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 05:35
Much of bad music is pretentious regardless of how complex it is.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 07:01
Originally posted by criticdrummer94 criticdrummer94 wrote:

I know it kinda sounds stupid but a lyric in the song It really spoke when it said and I quote "If you think that its pretentious, you've been taken for a ride." So I'm gonna ask you. How would you define pretentious and does it set with Prog music? 

It was an epithet hurled by critics of the music at the time, nothing more, nothing less.  I hopped on the prog bandwagon about four years after that line was written.  I found the critics at the time to be the pretentious ones.  If you are an inept critic then you resort to what you think are clever retorts rather than digging in to the substance.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 05 2011 at 07:03
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 07:08
Depends who you are. To your average rock fan who thinks songs must be 3 to 4 minutes long. You have to take drugs and have a sleazy lifestyle (bit cliche I know) then all prog is pretentious to them. Musicians wanting to play music that oversteps the constrictive boundaries of a normal rock song is just not proper music.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 07:11

ok move on now....
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 07:24
By the way, It has come up before, but I can't be bothered to look up the thread. While Peter was making an allusion to prog rock critics of the day, he was in fact singing about the penis or in a more broader sense about genitals in general.  And when it comes to pretentious genitals, the penis wins over the clitoris. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 05 2011 at 07:25
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 08:44
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by criticdrummer94 criticdrummer94 wrote:

It was an epithet hurled by critics of the music at the time, nothing more, nothing less.  I hopped on the prog bandwagon about four years after that line was written.  I found the critics at the time to be the pretentious ones.  If you are an inept critic then you resort to what you think are clever retorts rather than digging in to the substance.

So true---which is why Gabriel took a final swipe at critics ---who were pretentious f**ks themselves---as the Lamb came to an end---a preemptive strike so to speak.Big smile
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 08:45
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

By the way, It has come up before, but I can't be bothered to look up the thread. While Peter was making an allusion to prog rock critics of the day, he was in fact singing about the penis or in a more broader sense about genitals in general.  And when it comes to pretentious genitals, the penis wins over the clitoris. LOL

Also true.LOL
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 09:40
I think most people confuse 'pretentious' for 'pompous.'  A pretentious musician is one who pretends to be better than he or she is.  To me, these people are posers more concerned with how they look than with how they sound.  A pretentious fan is one who pretends to know more about music than he or she does.  The same goes for critics.  So, no, Prog is not pretentious, but it is often pompous.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 10:13
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I think most people confuse 'pretentious' for 'pompous.'  A pretentious musician is one who pretends to be better than he or she is.  To me, these people are posers more concerned with how they look than with how they sound.  A pretentious fan is one who pretends to know more about music than he or she does.  The same goes for critics.  So, no, Prog is not pretentious, but it is often pompous.

Good point. I'd call something like Yanni pretentious because it was promoted as something very sophisticated, which it wasn't.  Prog's bite lives up to its bark in that regard.  In any case, there's nothing inherent in the very premise of prog to suggest that it is pretentious but there may be some bands who are, just like in any other genre.

Edited by rogerthat - December 05 2011 at 10:13
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 10:18
Yanni. Not sophisticated. I like that.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 10:21
Yes. And that's why you like it.
CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 10:39
Nope. It's just music for people who enjoy music. There's pretentiousness in any genre, but as a rule I think Prog was originally created by bored musicians.
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 11:06

I used to use that word, but my view has changed. Now I think pretentious is the most overused word ever and now borders on being a synonym of incredibly experimental and unique, which really ticks me off.

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

If you want pretention, look at Hip-Hop.

That's a better way of looking at the phrase. Obviously not all rappers or hip-hop artists are pretentious, but the ones that seem to get the most attention are.

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - December 05 2011 at 11:07
Tull Freak 94 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 12:37
Yes it is but that's not necessarily a bad thing
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 13:17
No it's not. In my job I try to be a bit of a perfectionist and I don't think my customers find that pretentious, I know they appreciate it. We are the customers of the musicians so it's only for us to be grateful that they try to deliver a quality product.
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 13:31
When we start topics on this forum called 'How To Convert People To Prog', that's pretentious.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2011 at 13:34
to dismiss progressive rock as pretentious is wrong because that is a generalization, and the prog world is a complex one, and has a lot of different aspects and attitudes associated with it

And as someone said before, there is pretentiousness in every type of music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>