Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Progressive Rock truly pretentious?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 13:20
Originally posted by Canterzeuhl Canterzeuhl wrote:

Is it pretentious because we know what we're talking about?

To imagine for a moment I don't know what a time signature is, nor what a Moog sounds like and instead I enjoy a thumping backbeat to grind in a dingy club to, and I asked you what sort of music you like, I don't think you could sound like anything else other than pretentious.

Well, other than boring and unsexy.

Maybe, but thats the fault of the complete ignorance of this hypothetical person rather than the music/musicians they are calling pretentious.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 13:38
Couldn't care less as long as I like it.

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 13:43
People who are truly exploratory and love doing new things in music will naturally expand, sometimes into odd times, unconventional instrumentation, structure, and composition. If you want to call it pretentious, go ahead. Musicians will keep doing what they feel they should, with or without approval of the mainstream. This isn't just rock music. It's underground music everywhere.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 16:58
Progressive rock is pretentious, self-indulgent, bombastic, over-blown, ego-inflated, etc. That's why I like it!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 10:05
As mentioned before, for the pop oriented public, progressive music (not just prog rock) sounds quite pretentious, simply because they are just looking for a nice beat and a catchy riff to dance to. They are not interested in listening to arrangements, orchestration, instrumentation, etc. So yes, they will think prog is pretentious, since they want music to dance to, not something which has been written to be listened to.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 10:43
Nobody ever said that to me, People said lets listen to something easier, or lighter.
Seems it sound too complex or hard to follow or dark, in some peoples ears, but actualy i dont thing many people would be thinking its pretentious, they just want something more easy for them to swallow.
Pretentious is the kind of word critics would use, not the everyday guest in your house.  
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 13:18
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Nobody ever said that to me, People said lets listen to something easier, or lighter.
Seems it sound too complex or hard to follow or dark, in some peoples ears, but actualy i dont thing many people would be thinking its pretentious, they just want something more easy for them to swallow.
Pretentious is the kind of word critics would use, not the everyday guest in your house.  

Agreed.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 13:37
Originally posted by criticdrummer94 criticdrummer94 wrote:

I know it kinda sounds stupid but a lyric in the song It really spoke when it said and I quote "If you think that its pretentious, you've been taken for a ride." So I'm gonna ask you. How would you define pretentious and does it set with Prog music? 

I would say, immediately, that if you have to find out what it all means by asking, and you don't know or feel the difference, that it won't matter what anyone tells you anyway!

And this is specially important if you are an artist, painter, musician or writer ... because if you are asking those kinds of questions, you are not "listening" to your own inner movie that helps you create and define the next ... whatever ... in any art!

This is why I always say, that too many people are caught in the commercial/industrial world and they do not know who "YOU" is, and what it means ... because if you knew, you would only ask that question as a joke on a kid ... to have fun with him/her and help him/her learn the difference between the "know" and the "pretentious" or over enfatuated rock'n'roll stars!

One thing to remember ... he/she that knows the truth doesn't have to lie or twist words! ... he/she that has alterior motives will twist words to confuse you and make their position stronger! Like rock stars maintaining their fame!

You really need to see the movie "Bedazzled" with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore ... the original ... and you will learn a lot from Lee Quite Quat ... !!! trust me!

Edited by moshkito - December 07 2011 at 13:38
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
OT Räihälä View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 12:09
No.

Why would it be more pretentious than anything else?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 13:03
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

"What does it feel like to be in the same room with the greatest rock singer in history?"

Easy ... ask the groupies ... but let me tell you that what some have said was not exactly complimentary at all!

And you don't want to hear a few stories from the radio station!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 16:36
In the end all that matters is do you like what you hear.  The pretentious comes from critics who like to do a weak justification for something they just don't like.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Cylli Kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2011 at 19:53
Nicely said. I wholeheartedly concur.
[Insert Clever Phrase Here]
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2011 at 09:20
Very pretentious critics postulating Prog is pretentious.
Hmm could i use that in a song Headbanger
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2011 at 09:52
Prog is ambitious for the people who like it and willing to make a personal effort in the understanding.

Prog is pretentious for hose who want exclusively easy music to shake their booties.

Pedro Calderon de la Barca (Classic Spanish writer) said in his book "La Vida es Sueño" (Life is Dream)

“In this treacherous world 
Nothing is the truth nor a lie. 
Everything depends on the color 
Of the crystal through which one sees it” 

Of course in Spanish sounds better 

"En este mundo traidor, nada es verdad ni es mentira.
Todo es según el color del cristal con que se mira"

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - December 09 2011 at 09:56

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2011 at 12:13

^ Pretentiousness has nothing to do with accessibility, complexity or ambition. Music is pretentious if it is pretending to be something it is not or if the fans pretend it is something it is not. Anyone claiming Progressive Rock is Art Music and not Popular Music is being pretentious.

What?
OT Räihälä View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2011 at 13:15
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ Anyone claiming Progressive Rock is Art Music and not Popular Music is being pretentious.

Bollocks! Shocked The crux of progressive rock is that it belongs to "art music" at the same time as it's also a part of popular music. The elementary purpose of progressive rock work is it to be a piece of art.

I could turn this upside down: Anyone claiming Progressive rock is just Popular Music and not a form of art is being pretentious.
Catalani View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2011 at 13:20
I don't think so.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2011 at 13:27
Originally posted by OT Räihälä OT Räihälä wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ Anyone claiming Progressive Rock is Art Music and not Popular Music is being pretentious.

Bollocks! Shocked The crux of progressive rock is that it belongs to "art music" at the same time as it's also a part of popular music. The elementary purpose of progressive rock work is it to be a piece of art.

I could turn this upside down: Anyone claiming Progressive rock is just Popular Music and not a form of art is being pretentious.
I expect you are wrong. There is a finite possibility that one or maybe even two pieces of Progressive Rock could qualify as being Art Music, but the chances are very slim and most certainly would not be drawn from the likely contenders, but from some obscure and much unloved esoteric works. Making music as an art form is not Art Music - don't get fooled by the words, Art Music is a distinct musicological classification of music that includes Classical and some Jazz, so by definition Popular Music cannot be Art Music. Of course all music is art (with a minuscule "a") - every single piece of pop, rock and folk music is an art form, but not all music is Art Music.

Edited by Dean - December 09 2011 at 13:28
What?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2011 at 13:51
I would wager a piece doesn't get to be called "Art Music" just because it was classical or jazz, and looking at the Wikipedia page doesn't clarify much. It's all very vague. I would think works like Tales from Topographic Oceans and "Close to the Edge" (song) straddle the line between art music and pop music, and pressed to choose one of the other art music fits better. And I was thinking today, works like Phaedra by Tangerine Dream and most of Klaus Schulze's repertoire are strictly art music, or classical music, just with synthesizers. In fact, I find them more interesting than most 20th centural "typical classical". The instruments, performance technique, composition, and notation is wildly new and innovative, and it would take an astonishing traditionalist to believe it's "popular music."

Edited by stonebeard - December 09 2011 at 14:08
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2011 at 13:59
^ You see? Pretentious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>