Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 19:13
porcupine tree I guess. MAN THIS IS SO LAME
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
Redug View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 19:53
As far as I'm concerned Porcupine Tree did Riverside better than Riverside does Riverside with FOABP, so PT.
Nash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 20:17
Riverside is no rival for Porcupine Tree

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 21:39
Ideally Echolyn or Discipline. would have won.
But I'm voting Riverside.  Not that I don't like PT.  I have all of their (studio) albums, and like them all to varying degrees.  But...

Edited by infocat - December 07 2011 at 05:55
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Thandrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 23:25
I like them both quite the similar amount... Still voted for Riverside LOL

Edited by Thandrus - December 06 2011 at 23:26
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 00:11
Bluntly, I don't give half a damn about PT. I've heard all their albums at least a couple times, and I can only tolerate ONE song. I almost detest the group. Whether Wilson is stealing from Tangerine Dream's nigh-unlistenable 'galactic keyboard caverns' or when he's futilely reaching his hands into the pockets of Radiohead (who did Krautrock justice, very much unlike any obnoxious, melodically-timid Wilson 'product', which lives in the past instead of builds upon it), or he's doing alternative rock with mid-range vocals blah blah. It's one of the blunders of the world! Oh, what a catchy song! If he'd only do that eight more times instead of one, I'd half care. Where Thom Yorke was trying to sy 'let's see how many emotions we can express with our songs', Wilson was shouting 'hey, how many 1970's and 1980's bands can we pretend to be while we make all our songs real long and 'watery' to trick folks into thinking we're deep and diverse?' 

I don't hate them, outright, just dislike them on a consistent basis. But don't think I deify Riverside. I really enjoyed their first two albums, but ADHD, I'd rather piss on it than listen to it. Naw, my pick for Post-1970 wasn't Riverside. It was probably Ween, but they weren't in the poll. It was also probably Pain of Salvation or Ayreon or Queensryche or Devin Townsend or maudlin of the Well. Riverside were great, but they weren't even close. Oh, much closer than that intolerable Wilson farce, and roughly about as close as the good ol' Opeth, but neither are even in my top fifteen for post-1970's. So hey, I won't vote. 

Instead, I'll hand out an honorary vote to my cat, Jack, who is cuddly and entertaining, who stands by me through thick and thin. Thank you, pet cat Jack. You are truly the world's greatest progressive rock group from after 1979! Or, well maybe you're just a cat.
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 03:43
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Bluntly, I don't give half a damn about PT. I've heard all their albums at least a couple times, and I can only tolerate ONE song. I almost detest the group. Whether Wilson is stealing from Tangerine Dream's nigh-unlistenable 'galactic keyboard caverns' or when he's futilely reaching his hands into the pockets of Radiohead (who did Krautrock justice, very much unlike any obnoxious, melodically-timid Wilson 'product', which lives in the past instead of builds upon it), or he's doing alternative rock with mid-range vocals blah blah. It's one of the blunders of the world! Oh, what a catchy song! If he'd only do that eight more times instead of one, I'd half care. Where Thom Yorke was trying to sy 'let's see how many emotions we can express with our songs', Wilson was shouting 'hey, how many 1970's and 1980's bands can we pretend to be while we make all our songs real long and 'watery' to trick folks into thinking we're deep and diverse?' 

I don't hate them, outright, just dislike them on a consistent basis. But don't think I deify Riverside. I really enjoyed their first two albums, but ADHD, I'd rather piss on it than listen to it. Naw, my pick for Post-1970 wasn't Riverside. It was probably Ween, but they weren't in the poll. It was also probably Pain of Salvation or Ayreon or Queensryche or Devin Townsend or maudlin of the Well. Riverside were great, but they weren't even close. Oh, much closer than that intolerable Wilson farce, and roughly about as close as the good ol' Opeth, but neither are even in my top fifteen for post-1970's. So hey, I won't vote. 

Instead, I'll hand out an honorary vote to my cat, Jack, who is cuddly and entertaining, who stands by me through thick and thin. Thank you, pet cat Jack. You are truly the world's greatest progressive rock group from after 1979! Or, well maybe you're just a cat.

You know - If you don't like something, you can just not listen to it. I don't like Radiohead, so I don't listen to them. It makes me a much happier person.
Shevrzl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 03:58
Back when this tournament started I really hoped it would be a PT-Riverside final..and it is! Well Riverside, you have surprised many, including me but I doubt PT is going to lose this one. Anyway, another vote Riverside for being more consistently awesome.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 04:56
On balance, I had to go with PT. Riverside are great, but PT have produced so many classic albums in so many different styles - neo-psychedelia, Floydian space rock, crunchy heavy prog - that I can't not give the nod to them. (If it were Marillion vs. Riverside I'd go with Marillion for the same reason.)
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 08:15
PT
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 09:53
I'm confused, though. I'm being preached at because I gave my feelings on the bands? I thought that was what this shenanigan was all about - voting and comparing your feelings regarding two bands within a set group. Is it because I go in-depth about why I do and do not like certain groups and what they've done? Is it because my post could be seen as inflammatory or argumentative? You aren't wrong. You aren't wrong for even claiming I'm wrong. You aren't right, though, either. I appreciate that you could have differing feelings and that you could react to my feelings in such a way. Your thoughts and feelings are valid. 

Hober Mallow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 09:56
Hot dogs!
“When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life.” John Kennedy Toole
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 09:57

I'm confused, though. I'm being preached at because I gave my feelings on the bands? I thought that was what this shenanigan was all about - voting and comparing your feelings regarding two bands within a set group. Is it because I go in-depth about why I do and do not like certain groups and what they've done? Is it because my post could be seen as inflammatory or argumentative? You aren't wrong. You aren't wrong for even claiming I'm wrong. You aren't right, though, either. I appreciate that you could have differing feelings and that you could react to my feelings in such a way. Your thoughts and feelings are valid. 

The only thing i dont understand is why you have waisted you time listning to ALL there albums, several times ?
Hopefully you havent bought ALL, just to be sure you dont like them Beer
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 09:59
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Riverside? What the hell... Well this makes it very easy for me. 

Same with me. I can't understand how they made it. I guess PT will get my vote also.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 10:23
This is too tough of a poll for me because of my love for both bands, so I just won't vote. LOL
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 12:48
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Same with me. I can't understand how they made it. I guess PT will get my vote also.

Blame Rico.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 13:19

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Blame Rico.

Off with my head!
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2011 at 13:44

Sorry, I wasn't trying to preach, honest. I was just countering your opinion. I thought that was what discussion was all about! You're perfectly within reason to have that opinion, I was just saying what my ethos was when it came to bands I don't like.

I really didn't mean offence :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>