Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWoven Hand In PA...What?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woven Hand In PA...What?
    Posted: December 14 2011 at 03:07
Just when I thought I've seen it all and then I see Woven Hand listed in the POPULAR ARTISTS (TOP 50, LAST 24H) section when I logged in. Holy cow! Fantastic band but listing them as prog folk(?). Gothic/alternative country would be the first two sub-genres that come to my mind. Folk rock...yes, but prog folk? If Woven Hand is archived so surely must be 16 Horsepower.

Edited by cannon - December 14 2011 at 03:07
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 05:41
Place in popular artists, nobody cares (plus, that list is based on page views).
Yes to Prog Folk.
Yes to great band.
Suggest 16 Horsepower for inclusion appropriately.

Edited by Ricochet - December 14 2011 at 05:42
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 10:45
Jethro Tull is more folk rock than prog folk, but whatever. As long as that folk element is present, that's good enough.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 17:23

Wovenhand was added four years ago (by me) with two Prog Folk team members voting for him being added and the other member not voting.  We considered 16 Horsepower briefly but left them lie at the time.  I have mixed feelings about 16H in that while their sound is similar it is not as pronounced, dark or focused as that of Mr. Edwards' solo work.  Also, 16H had quite a few songs that were more country-rock with pretty much no prog leanings at all.  Wovenhand probably wouldn't have made the 'prog' cut anywhere but Prog Folk, where he is admittedly a margin inclusion but one that the team has fully embraced.

As for JT, they would have been added to any website or archive purporting to be a 'prog' site regardless simply based on their longstanding perceived linkage to the early prog-rock days.  I think most fans know that JT only made a handful of albums that could be remotely considered prog (same could be said of Genesis BTW), and Anderson himself has often panned the term 'prog rock' itself.  Still, hard to argue with their place here given they produced the 2nd most popular album on this site...

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 17:29
Well, I checked out Woven Hand yesterday because of their place at the top of the homepage, and I enjoyed hearing them.
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 17:30
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Jethro Tull is more folk rock than prog folk, but whatever. As long as that folk element is present, that's good enough.

I hear Woven Hand mostly rooted in the "americana" folk rock style with other elements/influences as well. So is all the folk rock sub-genres considered progressive?
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 17:44
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Wovenhand was added four years ago (by me) with two Prog Folk team members voting for him being added and the other member not voting.  We considered 16 Horsepower briefly but left them lie at the time.  I have mixed feelings about 16H in that while their sound is similar it is not as pronounced, dark or focused as that of Mr. Edwards' solo work.  Also, 16H had quite a few songs that were more country-rock with pretty much no prog leanings at all.  Wovenhand probably wouldn't have made the 'prog' cut anywhere but Prog Folk, where he is admittedly a margin inclusion but one that the team has fully embraced.

As for JT, they would have been added to any website or archive purporting to be a 'prog' site regardless simply based on their longstanding perceived linkage to the early prog-rock days.  I think most fans know that JT only made a handful of albums that could be remotely considered prog (same could be said of Genesis BTW), and Anderson himself has often panned the term 'prog rock' itself.  Still, hard to argue with their place here given they produced the 2nd most popular album on this site...

I agree with you for the most part on 16 Horsepower as Woven Hand is more refined and have experimented more dabbling in psych, eastern ambiences, and that dark and haunting chill in a gospel-like tone. With that being said, I think both bands are very similar. Hell, I'm not against them being archived but was somewhat taken aback seeing them archived here at PA.

Post Reply Post Reply