Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDixie Dregs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dixie Dregs
    Posted: December 14 2011 at 14:52
As the title says... topic for everybody who likes this great band. They mix jazz/fusion and prog to create a unique sound in my opinion, and Steve Morse is one of the finest guitarists around. I placed them here in the prog section because I think there is a lot of prog in their sound..
"What If" is a great album and "Bring 'em Back Alive" is for sure in my top 10 live albums. What do you think about?

PS: This is my first topic, so, hello everybody Wink
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 15:32
Welcome !
Can't say i'm the biggest fan but i do enjoy "What If" a lot.Actually Steve Morse's "Split Decision" is one i play even more,it just seems to hit the spot.
I know Slarts(a member here) is a big fan,in fact i think he followed them all over the south-east one year.I'm not saying he was a groupie or anything like that(it's just a rumour) but lets just say he's a big fan.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 17:10
I saw them every time they came to Boston, starting from the "Dregs Of The Earth" tour.

I must say that Dave LaRue is a good bassist, but he doesn't have the distinctive bass style of Andy West.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 18:26
Welcome from the heart of the Dixie Dregs land.  They played around the Atlanta area a lot when I was in my teens.  My brother and mom were big into the band so I got to see them live a lot and I do mean a lot. Big smile

Even had the privilege of doing volunteer roadie duty when they played a show at Dekalb College.  Without a doubt What If remains my favorite.  And you can't go bad by Bring 'Em Back Alive.  The band is one best experienced live.  The Live At Montreaux DVD doesn't showcase some of my favorite material but gives you a nice taste of what the band was like live when I first got into them. 

Fun fact: the band loved to cover Mahavishnu Orchestra songs in their early days before they had built up their own repertoire.

PS.  Why wouldn't post an appreciation thread for them in the a prog section?  Wink  I don't think their habit of doing a somewhat obligatory bluegrass influenced track disqualifies them. 

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 14 2011 at 18:54
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2011 at 18:29
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Welcome !
Can't say i'm the biggest fan but i do enjoy "What If" a lot.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 06:39
Welcome. I've always been a big fan. My younger brother snuck Cruise Control on the turntable one night many years ago and it blew me away. Have been a fan ever since. Saw them upstage the useless Jefferson Starship when they opened for them on the pier in NYC. Played a brilliant set - one of the best I've seen. Got to see them a second time at Hofstra University when I was there in the late 70's. Here they were the headliners and got to play a full 2 hour set-fantastic! Morse is one of my favorite guitar players and I have most of his cd's along with most of the Dixie Dregs work. Fine stuff indeed!
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 07:57
I think also Full Circle is a good album!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 13:39
I love them too! Here in Europe they are very little known, I first learned about them when I was studying music in the mid-late 80's (never got past amateur level by the way) and a fellow guitarist played me Freefall, wow, I had never heard Morse and I was amazed, what a right hand! but also Morgenstein and the whole band impressed me a lot.

What If and Bring 'Em Back Alive are also my favs, together with the Montreaux DVD which I have reviewed, but from Freefall to Dregs of The Earth they are all worth the money. Of their studio albums I miss Unsung Heroes and Industry Standard.

Got a few Steve Morse Band albums too, The Introduction and High Tension Wires being favourites. Major Impacts is also a very nice album with Steve's interpretation of other bands styles while avoiding actual covers, it's something that I always thought if I was a musician I would like to do.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 13:47
They are fairly well known in Britain due to one of their songs being the theme tune to the "Friday Rock Show" I like them.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 15:40
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

They are fairly well known in Britain due to one of their songs being the theme tune to the "Friday Rock Show" I like them.

I was wondering where the name rang a bell.

Clap for the music

and alsoClap for the late great Tommy Vance

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 16:40
^^^ I'm assuming that's 'Take it off the top' Opening track on What If. I can't play the clip for some reason.

Good album, but I never got round to buying anything else. I feel an Amazon visit coming on..

Edited by Blacksword - December 15 2011 at 16:41
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 18:13
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I love them too! Here in Europe they are very little known, I first learned about them when I was studying music in the mid-late 80's (never got past amateur level by the way) and a fellow guitarist played me Freefall, wow, I had never heard Morse and I was amazed, what a right hand! but also Morgenstein and the whole band impressed me a lot.

What If and Bring 'Em Back Alive are also my favs, together with the Montreaux DVD which I have reviewed, but from Freefall to Dregs of The Earth they are all worth the money. Of their studio albums I miss Unsung Heroes and Industry Standard.

Got a few Steve Morse Band albums too, The Introduction and High Tension Wires being favourites. Major Impacts is also a very nice album with Steve's interpretation of other bands styles while avoiding actual covers, it's something that I always thought if I was a musician I would like to do.

Steve's DVD Sects, Dregs & Rock 'N' Roll is another really good one to get.  Has one performance of a the revamped Dregs with none other than Jerry Goodman on violin and the late T Lavitz on both that performance and joining Steve in a mostly solo show. 

And hey, while I'm at it a link/plug for Steve's site:http://www.stevemorse.com/

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 15 2011 at 18:16
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 22:23
Night of the Living Dregs...one of the best live albums aroundApprove, surprised not mentioned much! Great band and so different and original
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 02:03
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^^^ I'm assuming that's 'Take it off the top' ..

It is
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 04:37
I think Steve Morse is a fine guitartist. They are all fine musicians and all the Dregs titles mentioned in this thread are worth going the distance for. Of course I had a close tie when I traveled with some stupied show band and opened for the Dregs in 81". I go off on this because it was just so mind blowing to tour the circuit with them in the early days of their career and to see how talented they were. Now in the present....I teach kids the Steve Morse guitar methods and he is a God! There is nothing more rewarding than to learn and play a piece of music from the "What If" album. Think of it this way: You might be able to play 1 of their pieces , but can you write like they do?  Great band!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 06:56
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^^^ I'm assuming that's 'Take it off the top' ..

It is

I've very fond memories of the Friday rock show. Vance used to also use Theme 1 by VDGG, to introduce his 'Friday night connection' slot..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 07:02
^ Did he use the Cozy Powell version?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 16:17
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^ Did he use the Cozy Powell version?

Fairly sure he used VDGG's version

Cozy's version

and also the original

Nick Magnus has also done an excellent version but I couldn't find a link for that

fxdregs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 10:47
Great first topic Ytse Jam.
Long time Dregs head here, nice to see them get some recognition even though they haven't put out any new material for way too long.

BTW - Plenty of Dregs - Dream Theater connections too.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 11:11
^ Indeed, you might want to check out the Prime Cuts album which i believe features almost all of the Dream theater members. A Steve Morse Band Album.

Edited by timothy leary - December 17 2011 at 11:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>