0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Igor Wakhevitch album
    Posted: December 15 2011 at 15:31
Igor Wakhevitch is one of my favourites in PA.  What's your favourite album of these (don't worry if you don't have them all), if you have one? And if you don't have a particular favourite, that's fine, the poll is just an accessory to discussion and sharing music that I care about.

I have all of these except for the Dali one, which I plan to get very soon, and like all of them very much.  Docteur Faust is the one that particularly turned me on to him, as well as Hathor, and then I got really into Logos (terrific) and the others.  Gawd I hate that Let's Start album cover, though.

4.37 | 12 ratings Logos
3.83 | 14 ratings Docteur Faust
3.98 | 15 ratings Hathor
4.00 | 5 ratings Les Fous D'or
3.91 | 3 ratings Salvador Dali & Igor Wakhevitch: Ętre Dieu
4.50 | 2 ratings Nagual (les ailes de la perception)
3.59 | 4 ratings Let's Start

Edited by Logan - December 15 2011 at 15:32
Just a fanboy passin' through.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 15:45
I still haven't heard Etre Dieu or Nagual, so I can't bring myself to vote. But, if I were to vote based on all that I've heard so far, I'd probably vote Hathor.

What is the Let's Start album cover supposed to be anyway (besides generally gnarly, of course)?

Edited by colorofmoney91 - December 15 2011 at 15:46
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 15:53
I dunno what it's supposed to be, but it looks like a petrified phallus or a woody woodie to me.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 15:55
I thought it looked kind of like trying to use coils to generate electricity from a prehistoric boner fossil of some sort, but who knows. Great album, though.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 16:38
I've only heard/have Docteur Faust. Embarrassed Wonderful album though (albeit way too short).

Edited by Man With Hat - December 15 2011 at 16:39
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 17:05

I don't know, but it sure as hell isn't this one.  Sleepy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2011 at 22:10
^ Can't say that I'm really surprised.

I voted for Logos in the end, though I wasn't going to vote, but a poll with no votes looks rather pathetic -- I like the Ligeti qualities.  I expected that Docteur Faust and Hathor would get some votes.

I'll post some reviews:

From Progarchives.com, the ultimate progressive rock music website

philippe 
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR
Content Development & Krautrock Team
5 stars The first beautiful, intense and avant gardist effort from Igor Wakhevitch. "Logos" perfectly oscillates between modern classical music, organic electronic soundscapes and psychedelic rock. The album starts with a serie of interlocking cinematic, acoustic pieces that could be written as a score for theatre or contemporary dance performance. The amtospheres are nice, evocative and strangely abstract with haunted sustained drones, mysterious operatic female / male voices, manipulated tapes and a wide range of noises, drums, cymbals, violin echoes and electronic intermittences. "Danse Sacrale" is a tense & transcendant psychrock "trip" that culminates the album. Good guitar sections and monolithic, cavernous drums. This is the most progressive rock release of Wakhevitch with the alchemic "Docteur Faust". A so amazing listening!
Send comments to philippe (BETA) | Report this review (#138690)
Posted Sunday, September 16, 2007 | Review Permalink
4 stars Logos is the debut album from this bizarre, wonderful man Igor Wakhevitch. This album made up of stark, enigmatic and ritualistic percussion and choral chanting all put together on an avant-garde electrical base. The electronics don't usually stand out as obviously as they do on Wakhevitch's later albums; they're used here mostly to set a smooth and dark atmosphere, and to add accentuating experimental noises to the bleek choral and string arrangements. There is a wonderful marriage of 20th century classical and avant-garde experimentalism that would sound like one of A. Berg's slower vocal works performed under K. Stockhausen's direction, and doesn't sound much different from the material found on Hathor. There is occasional electric guitar on this album, but it doesn't stick out until the last couple of tracks, which almost serves as a foreshadowing to Docteur Faust.

Another piece of highly recommended avant-garde electronic album from Wakhevitch.

Send comments to colorofmoney91 (BETA) | Report this review (#439144)
Posted Monday, April 25, 2011 | Review Permalink
4 stars Another brilliant album from this unknown artist who's ratings are surprisingly high in the P.A. It's just a pity so few folk have heard of him.

The opener 'Ergon' sounds like that bit in 'The Ten Commandments' where the Red Sea is split in two by Charlton Heston from where he scarpers to safety. Full of reverbed female vocals that are enough to give you the heebie-jeebies.

Talking of reverb - there's a lot more of it in 'Mineral - Vegetal - Animal' with wailing male and female singing reminiscent of the monolith scene in 'Space Odyssey'. Sorry about the film comparisons, but they ARE accurate!

This ain't no cheapo first outing recorded onto a home cassette. It's well recorded and sounds BIG! The array of instrumentation is fantastic and there isn't a dull moment - it's far too intense for that.

There are very few pop or rock instruments utilised. From what I hear it's all orchestral drums, electronic whines and drones, treated classical instruments and hugely echoed vocals. Most of 'Logos' sounds like it belongs in a 'Hammer' horror film but in a more experimental way.

Towards the end you get quite a lot of mid section Floyd 'Saucerful of Secrets' and 'Ummagumma'

Almost five stars marred somewhat by the one use of electric guitar near the finish.

I just wish I'd discovered this years ago. Great album.

Send comments to Dobermensch (BETA) | Report this review (#443238)
Posted Thursday, May 05, 2011 | Review Permalink

Edited by Logan - December 15 2011 at 22:12
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 15:41
I voted for Docteur Faust. Even though it was a long and winding road leading up to my "understanding" of it, it finally clicked with me, and as I told you once before, it was down at the seaside, where apparently everything can happen. If my memory serves me well, you had a similar thing happen, but on the beach in Mexico right?

Wakhevitch is clearly an acquired taste, but once you get past the density and madness, there is beauty there. I still need to get his debut though. My newest album from him is Nagual and I´m still trying to compute... I think maybe it will rival Faust at some point, but for now my vote stands as it is.

Oh, and it is of course a fully erected penis of an Ent - decorated and ready for Christmas at the house of pain...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 15:46
Yep, when I was there.  And yes, that woodie is very Entish.  By the way, I commonly say when going home, back to the house of pain.  A few days ago, though she's far too young, my daughter started reading the Island of Doctor Moreau since she ran through the kids books, and I hadn't gone to the library, and everyday she needs to read for school.  I was looking for my Lord of the Rings books for her to read instead, although also too advanced, but she loves fantasy, well, especially if it's Zelda-related, but couldn't find it (better would be The Hobbit which I read to her when she was very small).  I digress.  Docteur Faust is a great album, and I expect you'd like the debut.

I just got the Dali one, but haven't really listened yet.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 17:28
Can I choose Donc...? or is that cheating? :)

If I had to choose a favourite: Doctor Faust; merely for the nostalgic factor of it being my first.
 Post Reply Post Reply