Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Passion Play Vs. Minstrel in the Gallery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sympathy Orchestra View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Passion Play Vs. Minstrel in the Gallery
    Posted: August 18 2012 at 10:42
I like them both, but I prefer A Passion Play.
www.thesympathyorchestra.com
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 05:28
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

A very difficult choice for me personally and that is based on the importance of vocal capabilities. Ian Anderson's vocal work on "Living In The Past", "Aqualung" and "Stand Up" is decent, but with Passion and Minstrel it is clearly a moment in time where he progressed with his vocal abilities in range and dynamics. I never heard him sing quite like that again! Even on "Songs From the Wood" where his voice begins to slightly lack in control. On Minstrel and Passion he is almost untouchable. That is a moment in prog history when he was in fact an impeccable vocalist. The smoothness and control was very powerful. On both of the recordings there is a small dose of reverb where it sounds like he is singing in a huge hall. With his amazing control (during that time period), it comes across a bit Classical. He was very amazing.

Funny, because I always thought he had a tendency to overdramatize on those albums. Especially on APP he always sounds a bit strained.

Anyway, this is a difficult one for me. APP is more consistent, but I rarely feel a need to listen to it because it's all so samey and overly serious. I pretty much enjoy all the individual sections/songs/whatever, but taken as a whole it's just too much. I think it would have helped if they had recorded and indexed all the songs separately. That would have given them more of an opportunity to bring out the essence of each song. As it stands, every minute of the album (except the hare interlude) is recorded in the same style, with the same instrumentation, the same sounds etc. And the material isn't as diverse as TAAB to begin with, so the one-track approach doesn't serve it well.

Minstrel I find rather inconsistent. I love three songs: The title track, Cold Wind to Valhalla and One White Duck. The vocal sections of Black Satin Dancer are a bit weak, I think (I have my gripes with how the individual lines are arranged to form a verse, like how the first melody line is repeated six times in a row when it should have some kind of counterpart. In a different order, I probably would enjoy them a lot more), but the middle section is great. Baker St. Muse has its good and its bad moments, although it has no really outstanding moments in either direction. At its best it's mildly engaging, and at its worst it's boring but perfectly listenable. Requiem is boring through and through, with no discernible vocal melody. Grace is too short to make an impression on me either way, obviously. In the end, the good outweighs the bad, so it's a three-star album, as is APP. Minstrel gives me more of an incentive to listen to, but APP is more consistent. I can't decide.
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 20:23
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

I concur. Nicely put there. However, I still prefer TAAB out of the two.Embarrassed
Minstrel has been growing on me immensely lately. I've overlooked it because of my (still) War Child infatuation, but as far as album craftsmanship is concerned APP wins hands down.

That Warchild reissue is amazing! Thanks for the tip, Lizzy. I hate to brag, but I bought the MFSL version. If you've never heard anything they produce, I daresay they sound better than the vinyls. And I just found the MFSL remix of A Passion Play on eBay for only 60 dollars. Yeah, that's a lot but it's going for around $120 used and over $600 factory sealed. As Toddler states above, that period of Jethro Tull greatly benefited from Ian's amazing vocal ability.

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - August 17 2012 at 20:23
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2012 at 11:08
A very difficult choice for me personally and that is based on the importance of vocal capabilities. Ian Anderson's vocal work on "Living In The Past", "Aqualung" and "Stand Up" is decent, but with Passion and Minstrel it is clearly a moment in time where he progressed with his vocal abilities in range and dynamics. I never heard him sing quite like that again! Even on "Songs From the Wood" where his voice begins to slightly lack in control. On Minstrel and Passion he is almost untouchable. That is a moment in prog history when he was in fact an impeccable vocalist. The smoothness and control was very powerful. On both of the recordings there is a small dose of reverb where it sounds like he is singing in a huge hall. With his amazing control (during that time period), it comes across a bit Classical. He was very amazing.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 20:56
Minstrel in the Gallery for me, thank you. I love Cold Wind to Valhalla. I'm a Norse mythology buff from way back. Thick as a Brick and even more so Passion Play always seemed weak to me. But I'll give PP another listen. Aqualung Benefit and Minstrel are the high points for me.
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 12:30
Hands down, Minstrel in the Gallery!
Imho, A passion play was an effort to make another Thick a a Brick, but it was not so successful.
In the other hand, 'Minstrel' has some great songs, and let's not forget 'Baker Street Muse'. One of the greatest compositions of Jethro Tull... (And rather unknown)...
Anyway..Smile
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2012 at 16:11
Both are a step too far, proving to me that too much fame and success can negatively affect even such a clever and resourceful person as Ian Anderson. Bring back Benefit.
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2012 at 15:17
Originally posted by Ronnie Pilgrim Ronnie Pilgrim wrote:

And since so many have breached the subject, the four some odd minutes of "The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles" has a point, at least; whereas the two some odd minutes of noise I like to call "Overwhelming Responsibility" on Thick as a Brick is just bothersome.

I concur. Nicely put there. However, I still prefer TAAB out of the two.Embarrassed
Minstrel has been growing on me immensely lately. I've overlooked it because of my (still) War Child infatuation, but as far as album craftsmanship is concerned APP wins hands down.
Property of Queen Productions...
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2012 at 07:44
It's been a while, and I'm pleased to see many new members with appreciation of a true prog classic.
A Passion Play wins. And since so many have breached the subject, the four some odd minutes of "The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles" has a point, at least; whereas the two some odd minutes of noise I like to call "Overwhelming Responsibility" on Thick as a Brick is just bothersome.

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - August 09 2012 at 10:15
"The pointy birds are pointy pointy
Anoint my head anointy nointy"
Steve Martin The Man With Two Brains
Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 12:04
Passion Play was the first Tull album I can remember being released.  It was "MY" Tull album.  By the time Minstrel came out I was a bit jaded.  I thought some of Minstrel was quite good, but some of it was weak on the shorter songed side.  Now, I can appreciate songs like Cold Wind To Valhalla, but at the time it didn't click for me.  I find that music to be akin to Heavy Horses - hard to penetrate, not a lot of sonic variety and somewhat dark/muddy.

Passion Play is light, lively, always changing it's sonic palette.  It's so inventive, mostly through composed and rarely stays in one place long enough to get comfortable.  It's difficult for your average listener, but I love it.  Add to that the additional lost recordings that link Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play (as found on Chateau D'Isaster portion of Nightcap) and one has the most intriguing JT years for this listener.

Minstrel, when it came out, beguiled me with side two.  I loved the rock intro to side one and all of side two, but felt side one to be plodding and somewhat pedestrian.  Nowadays I can listen to the album and it's almost new because I gave so little time to it then.  It's a great and mysterious album, but does it rank with Passion Play for me?  No, not a bit.  I even find Songs From The Wood to do better what Minstrel strove for.  I believe Minstrel is a transitional piece, albeit an incredible one. 

Ahhh, Jethro Tull.  Those were the days!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 11:52
OMG!  I love both albums.   APP and Minstrel are very dear to moi.   On days where I feel exuberant,  enough to dance  and prance,  and I feel like wearing a codpiece and a peascod,  I play Minstrel in the Gallery,  and on days when I want to be amazed and dazed I play "A Passion Play".     

Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 23:20
I like A Passion Play better, I hardly am able to make it through Minstrel and usually only stay for the first couple tracks. Whereas APP is very captivating and it keeps my interest the full way through.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 21:27
Originally posted by BlackenedGass BlackenedGass wrote:

A Passion Play is great, but I prefer Minstrel.
A great statement on the debate at hand - I agree totally...
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 17:39
I love Minstrel, but A Passion Play is the ultimate prog album IMO.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 17:25
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Minstrel in The Gallery by far.I was listening to it last Sunday and i forgot how heavy that opening track got.
One of the BEST JT has ever put out - IMHO!  There's some quality "heavy" stuff on 'Songs from the Wood' too...
BlackenedGass View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 02:57
Minstrel In The Gallery is my favorite album after Thick as A Brick, with the title track being one of my all time favorite Jethro Tull songs.

A Passion Play is great, but I prefer Minstrel.
Eric Mallory View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 17:09
Impossible to choose. Awesome stuff.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2011 at 08:30
Minstrel In The Gallery is one of my favourite Tull albums. A Passion Play's a strange one - sometimes when I'm in the right frame of mind for it I put it on and think it's brilliant - other times less so.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 21:38
Minstrel in the Gallery is my preference, and I rate it higher musically and compositionally-speaking,  but you can't go wrong with either album.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 21:32
Passion is my second favourite Tull album behind Brick. Minstrel is farther down the list but not far.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>