Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCheck out Bitte Orca by The Dirty Projectors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check out Bitte Orca by The Dirty Projectors
    Posted: December 17 2011 at 12:19
 Not everything this band has done could fall under the category of prog but this album most certainly does. The guitar playing through out this album is kind of like a bizzaro Steve Howe style. The band employs the technique of hacketting with the two female vocalist giving you stereo melodies and harmonies. Grooving rhythms with an almost demented R&B vocal approach. What this band does is truly progressive taking their music to places rock music has seldom seen.This album is sure to please many prog fans. I'm a little surprised they are not in the archives maybe some people might have a slightly skewed opinion of them but this album is definitely worth checking out.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 15:33
Dirty Projectors are pretty sweet. I wouldn't exactly call them prog, but I'd also recommend some Deerhoof if you haven't heard any.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 16:17
Originally posted by Glimmung Glimmung wrote:

Not everything this band has done could fall under the category of prog but this album most certainly does. The guitar playing through out this album is kind of like a bizzaro Steve Howe style. The band employs the technique of hacketting with the two female vocalist giving you stereo melodies and harmonies. Grooving rhythms with an almost demented R&B vocal approach. What this band does is truly progressive taking their music to places rock music has seldom seen.This album is sure to please many prog fans. I'm a little surprised they are not in the archives maybe some people might have a slightly skewed opinion of them but this album is definitely worth checking out.

It wasn't at one time (when did you last check to see if it was included?), but the band is in the archives, and if it weren't, then it would be my responsibility to move this topic to another forum.

DIRTY PROJECTORS Crossover Prog United States

it's interesting that you say "Not everything this band has done could fall under the category of prog but this album most certainly does" since I only see two albums listed in PA.

Here are a clip for those that don't know the band or the album you mention.  I didn't know any of the band's music until now.

Nice.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 16:29
Got me into hipster garbage two years ago (along with AC and Grizzly Bear), still one of my favorites.
Glimmung View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 21:25
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It wasn't at one time (when did you last check to see if it was included?), but the band is in the archives, and if it weren't, then it would be my responsibility to move this topic to another forum.

it's interesting that you say "Not everything this band has done could fall under the category of prog but this album most certainly does" since I only see two albums listed in PA.

Here are a clip for those that don't know the band or the album you mention.  I didn't know any of the band's music until now.

Nice.

It had been a little while since I've checked but I just found them thanks. You should check out the track Temecula Sunrise there is some great guitar playing through out that song and some interesting timings. Also they have quite a few other albums. I think there are 3 or 4 more full lengths and a few e.ps. One of those albums is a reworking of the Black Flag album Damaged(which I've never heard) done in an art rock avant garde style.They also released an e.p with Bjork not too long ago.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 22:05

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Nice.

It had been a little while since I've checked but I just found them thanks. You should check out the track Temecula Sunrise there is some great guitar playing through out that song and some interesting timings. Also they have quite a few other albums. I think there are 3 or 4 more full lengths and a few e.ps. One of those albums is a reworking of the Black Flag album Damaged(which I've never heard) done in an art rock avant garde style.They also released an e.p with Bjork not too long ago.

Thanks, checked out Temecula Sunrise earlier and liked it.  I liked UsefulChamber a lot too.  Expect I'll get the album before too long.  The band's albums page is woefully incomplete.  I just checked rateyourmusic.  http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/dirty_projectors and the DP/ Bjork collaboration:
Mount Wittenberg Orca

Here's track one:

I like it.

Love to hear Damaged and the Bjork album.  Cool artist; glad I saw this thread.

Post Reply Post Reply