FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Grateful Dead??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2013 at 03:36
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

or anything you think is really exceptional.

The Closing of Winterland (dvd)
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 23:42
I love the Dead...but am unusual in that I like their studio albums much more than the live ones.  AOXOMOXOA, Workingman's, American Beauty, Wake of the Flood, and my favourite - Mars Hotel are all excellent.  I always considered "Unbroken Chain" and "China Doll" to be prog tracks and laughingly refer to the Dead as my favourite prog-boogie bandLOL 

As far as live, it took a long time but I did find a couple albums that I love, "100 Years Hall" and the 4CD "Live at the Fillmore East".  I find I don't really care for Mickey Hart and the 2 drummer thing they did and both these live albums feature Bill Kreutzman as the only drummer which works for me.

As far as the Dead keyboard question that's floating around.  I much prefer Pigpen's organ work over all the others.
ESHWOR KC View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 23:45
Grateful Dead was an American rock band formed in 1965 in Palo Alto, California.[1][2] The band was known for its unique and eclectic style, which fused elements of rockfolkbluegrassbluesreggaecountry, improvisational jazzpsychedelia, and space rock,[3][4] and for live performances of long musical improvisation.[5][6] "Their music," writes Lenny Kaye, "touches on ground that most other groups don't even know exists."[7] These various influences were distilled into a diverse and psychedelic whole that made the Grateful Dead "the pioneering Godfathers of the jam band world."[8] They were ranked 57th in the issue The Greatest Artists of all Time by Rolling Stonemagazine.[9] They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994 and their Barton Hall Concert at Cornell University (May 8, 1977) was added to the Library of Congress's National Recording Registry.[10] The Grateful Dead have sold more than 35 million albums worldwide.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 23:51
^ Exactly. My favourite combo. Stern Smile
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 15:26
I am a little reluctant to get into the Dead.  Their vast back catalogue has the capability of bankrupting me! When I get into a band I tend to go the whole hog (much to the chagrin of my wife!!).  However, I have been listening to the album 'Nightfall of Diamonds' which is a recording of a 1989 concert, and it sounds great to me.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 22:23
Volumes 3 and 7 of the DP series are my faves, fwiw

By--Tor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2013 at 01:41
American Beauty is one of the all time great albums. It was the first Dead album I ever heard and to this day its the one I still listen to the most.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2013 at 01:37
Originally posted by By--Tor By--Tor wrote:

American Beauty is one of the all time great albums. It was the first Dead album I ever heard and to this day its the one I still listen to the most.
Yeah - wow, Sugar Magnolia, Ripple, Attics of my Life - they sure knew how to write a song.  Precious album for sure, but AoxomoxoA is my obsession with them (or Live Dead).
There's some really good tracks on 'Shakedown Street' too - the title song is one of my faves.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123