FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Production Values Over The Years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 17:23
Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

I totally agree with you.  Modern production is not right for your classic symphonic prog sound.  the Flower Kings, for example, compose such fantastic music, but the sound wears my ears out with all of the instruments right out front slamming in my face.  I love the muddy mystery of early Yes records, where sometimes it's hard to distinguish one instrument from another, and everything blends into this amazing witches' brew of sound.  (Bitches Brew - Teo Macero's mix would be another good example of this by the way).
I have been drawn to those bands who are experimenting with archaic production techniques to get those kinds of sounds back.  Perhaps my greatest delight has been hearing the Causa Sui Summer Sessions.

so right about the flower kings.  it's just this giant loud compressed wall of sound.  tomas's keys are always way down in the corner.  the drums have no dynamics and that incessant wah guitar of roine is in you face.  where's jonas?  they're earlier cds are a bit more dynamic.

was listening to steven wilson interview today from a few years ago and he was talking about all this production stuff.  one point he made was his love for the album as an art form with 20 minutes per side.  anything more is fatiguing.  this is true also for the flower kings, but also other bands.  for example, on vinyl the new dream theater album would be a triple disc set!  fatigue is an issue...loudness wars and the perceived need to full the 80 min of cps.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 17:31
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

I favour dry sounds, and this is getting rarer with prog these days....... limited to modern singer songwriters mainly. I just like to hear everything clearly, although at the same time avoiding a clinical, sterile feel. If reverb is to be added, I want it subtle, not "stadium".... because there really is no point in trying to fool people about where something was recorded.

I really hope Prog is one of the genres that pushes forward with the binaural thing, because I think the future of keeping the sound of music exciting depends on replicating "being there" as much as possible. Instead of 2 channels, 360 would be rather interesting. It's so expensive to engineer though.

They say drums are the hardest thing to get right, but I'd be happy to just get them as punchy and bright as Supertramp or the Mahavishnu Orchestra. They achieved that in the '70s, so it can't be that hard. Keyboards are difficult to record because they can often sound horribly artificial..... I mean, there's no actual sound waves involved in them any more, it's all electronic, so that's understandable.

yes yes yes!  this is exactly my sentiment.  studio albums should sound like the studio.  love the drums on the aforementioned albums above.  this punchy, warm, phat snare sound returned last decade a bit within indie rock (wilco-yankee hotel foxtrot),  however, prog has stuck with the digi stadium sounds of the 80s.  why?  there are some outliners though.  i'm telling you, if a band has a nice fat snare sound up front, i'm sold.  roine stole, if you're reading this, please consider it for the new flower kings!!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 17:36
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I think Offord did a great production job on some early Yes albums--I wish I could say the same about some early Genesis albums---

Offord also worked on ELP albums up to and inc Trilogy as the main sound production engineer (although Greg Lake took the main production credit).
Trilogy is probably my favourite ELP album production. Wonderfull clarity and no messing with Greg Lake's voice which is full ,wamr and rich. Brain Salad Surgery was a noticeably different approach , much more compressed and loads of vocal distortion which I hate. It was about 1973 that the natural warm full production sound seemed to disappear. For me DSOTM , Relayer and BSS were all steps in the wrong direction even if musically the bands were becoming more creative.

The eighties was a real mixed bag production wise. Some brilliant stuff ( Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love and Al Stewarts ridiclulously undervalued Last Days Of The Century) but on the prog side i didn't care much for Marillions Fugazi or IQ's Nomzamo. Rush probably came up with my favourite 80's produced album (Power Windows) followed by IQ's Are You Sitting Comfortably?, the common denominator being Peter Collins. Someone had a clue at least.

The 90's was interesting as Par Lindh Project and Anglagard went for retro production techniques. Gothic Impressions and Hybris almost stand alone. Not sure it really caught on though.

Since then the only album that I loved from a production point of view has been Muse  - Absolution. Apparently they did some unusual things when recording that album (In Ireland I think) like using an empty swimming pool for the drums. The result is certainly unique and very impressive. I quite like the way Radiohead record their albums as well. They seem to have the modern way of doing things off to a fine art.

i guess that's my hope...now that digital recording is a given, i think we can figure out how to use it to sound more natural.  oh, and songs need to be memorable.  this is another issue with recent prog that i won't get into.  radio head's recent productions have been excellent.  i'm with you on that.  thing of what all these prog bands would sound like with nigel goodrich producing.  would be amazing.

as far as offord goes, what was up with his production on union:)

as far a rush goes, i think they found the best sounding production type for prog with moving pictures through grace under pressure.  it sounds like and warm at the same time.  again, what happened?   :)
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 18:31
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I find the difference in production values over the decades fascinating.  I've recently been enjoying early neo-prog (Marillion) and the early 80s sound of space between the instruments, digital synths, some gated drum, etc.  The 'sound' of prog changed over the years.  60s was a vintage reverb psychedelic sound, early 70s was a warm, 'in the room' studio.
Unfortunately many of the "in the room" recordings sounded as if they were recorded in a cardboard box. This was widely known by many musicians in the early 70's as a muffled sound that was lame and they didn't have the money power to clean it up. The 60's vintage reverb psychedelic sound was haunting and inspired sound techs for new ideas.
  late 70s got a bigger, more slick sound. This was so cheap because all it had to do with was.....turning up the death knob on your amp and then within the production itself came this horrible idea to cheese it up a bit. It was one thing to bring the instruments out front in production and sound...like Alan Parson and Ken Scott did so well., but the creative side to recording which was known as unorthodox recording techniques was missing from rock by then. For example Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland was released in 68' and was steps beyond the 60's reverb sound ..yet it wasn't contrived. It was a straight up rock album with a unique approach in production.     80s was totally slick with that digital delay on everything. I agree.

then came the 90s, and the sound of prog hasn't changed since.  it's always this BIG live sound with everything on a delay and reverb.  to me, it's been like this for over 20 years and it really does not make one band sound different from another.  i wish bands would get a bit more progressive with their sound.  maybe something akin to recent Wilco records which have a nice warm drum sound and compressed guitars along with vocals up front.  

thoughts?
You may not like the sound of reverb in general. It is only to be used to compliment the sound of the music. A nice warm drum sound with instruments more compressed and vocals up front can be found on the Steve Wilson re-mix of Lizard.

Well said. What has to be remembered is that a lot of prog bands in the 70's were very heavily constrained financially so they couldnt afford the best production techniques and setup available at the time, and quite a lot of them werent actually given that much time to record their albums.

I suggest that the OP doesnt listen to a particularly wide variety of prog styles, because on 2011 albums alone I've noticed a very wide variety of production styles.

I submit you ask what I listen too :)

I think exactly opposite of you.  Every damn album of 2011 sound exactly the same production wise.  Opeth may be the only outlier here.  DT had some excellent melodies.  Listen to recent episode of rogues gallery...every tune has the same sheen, big live sound, over processed guitars and pitch corrected vocals, etc.  just my observation.  Fairly conservative rather than progressive? Something new that has some different or older production techniques (wobbler) is what I think would be interesting these days.

I dont know what Rogues Gallery is (I suspect that it isnt the thread for self portrait photos on the forums here).  I know what kind of sound you're on about; the big clinical, crystal clear production and I wouldnt describe that as sounding like live since the dirty, more raw sound of the live environment is something I prefer.

And I garuantee that every album of 2011 doesnt sound the same production wise unless all you lsiten too is standard Prog Metal, Symphoinic and Neo Prog (in which case it probably would). Fen's Epoch, White Willows Terminal Twilight, Wobblers Rites at Dawn, Wolves in the Throne Rooms Celestial Lineage, Opeths Heratige, Amplifiers Octopus, Pain of Salvations Road Salt 2, Giant Squids Cenotes, Hakens Visions, hANDS Breathing, Leprous Bilateral, Mastodons The Hunter, No Made Sense New Season/New Blues, Sub Rosas No Help for the Mighty Ones, Tartar Lambs Plyimage of Known Exits, Ulvers War of the Roses, Unexpects Fables of the Sleepless Empire and Van der Graaf Generators A Grounding in Numbers all have very different production values to them and as a result all sound at least slightly different from each other. Its also notable that most of those listed were pretty much home recorded and controled almost entirely by the bands in question, rather than going to someone elses studio and hireing a producer to work with them.

I noticed beyond DT and Opeth you havent said what you listen too.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 19:08
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

^ The Mars Volta

Oh no.DeadCool
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 19:10
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I'm still waiting for auto-tune to reach the prog shores....actually, could be interesting if used as a very selective effect! 
MOOOOOOOOOOON safari
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 20:17

I dont know what Rogues Gallery is (I suspect that it isnt the thread for self portrait photos on the forums here).  I know what kind of sound you're on about; the big clinical, crystal clear production and I wouldnt describe that as sounding like live since the dirty, more raw sound of the live environment is something I prefer.

And I garuantee that every album of 2011 doesnt sound the same production wise unless all you lsiten too is standard Prog Metal, Symphoinic and Neo Prog (in which case it probably would). Fen's Epoch, White Willows Terminal Twilight, Wobblers Rites at Dawn, Wolves in the Throne Rooms Celestial Lineage, Opeths Heratige, Amplifiers Octopus, Pain of Salvations Road Salt 2, Giant Squids Cenotes, Hakens Visions, hANDS Breathing, Leprous Bilateral, Mastodons The Hunter, No Made Sense New Season/New Blues, Sub Rosas No Help for the Mighty Ones, Tartar Lambs Plyimage of Known Exits, Ulvers War of the Roses, Unexpects Fables of the Sleepless Empire and Van der Graaf Generators A Grounding in Numbers all have very different production values to them and as a result all sound at least slightly different from each other. Its also notable that most of those listed were pretty much home recorded and controled almost entirely by the bands in question, rather than going to someone elses studio and hireing a producer to work with them.

[/QUOTE]

rogue's gallery is a podcast that highlights new prog.  i think you kind of made my point...most new prog sounds the same...at least to me.  def that clinical production.  great way to put it.  opeth and wobbler are def outliers.  didn't mention wobbler b/c they tend to get criticized as 'retro'.  
gonna check out some of the bands you listed.  haven't heard a few of them.  as far as what i listen to, the disc in my player is  Anima Mundi's The Way.  it has that clinical production, but the melodies are quite memorable.  
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 20:35

I favour dry sounds, and this is getting rarer with prog these days....... limited to modern singer songwriters mainly. I just like to hear everything clearly, although at the same time avoiding a clinical, sterile feel. If reverb is to be added, I want it subtle, not "stadium".... because there really is no point in trying to fool people about where something was recorded.

I really hope Prog is one of the genres that pushes forward with the binaural thing, because I think the future of keeping the sound of music exciting depends on replicating "being there" as much as possible. Instead of 2 channels, 360 would be rather interesting. It's so expensive to engineer though.

They say drums are the hardest thing to get right, but I'd be happy to just get them as punchy and bright as Supertramp or the Mahavishnu Orchestra. They achieved that in the '70s, so it can't be that hard. Keyboards are difficult to record because they can often sound horribly artificial..... I mean, there's no actual sound waves involved in them any more, it's all electronic, so that's understandable.

yes yes yes!  this is exactly my sentiment.  studio albums should sound like the studio.  love the drums on the aforementioned albums above.  this punchy, warm, phat snare sound returned last decade a bit within indie rock (wilco-yankee hotel foxtrot),  however, prog has stuck with the digi stadium sounds of the 80s.  why?  there are some outliners though.  i'm telling you, if a band has a nice fat snare sound up front, i'm sold.  roine stole, if you're reading this, please consider it for the new flower kings!!

You dont find albums like Unfold the Future, Adam & Eve, or The Sum of No Evil have a fat snare sound up front? The drummer for those albums, Zoltan Czorsz, is quite good and very up front, In my opinion.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 20:44
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I'm still waiting for auto-tune to reach the prog shores....actually, could be interesting if used as a very selective effect! 

Bite your tongue, man!Cry
LOL
As a sparingly used vocal effect perhaps, but the way it's being used throughout mainstream music is just annoying.

I was listening to Pendragon Pure today and I think I heard a couple of seconds of auto-tune.  I forget which song.  It didn't kill me.  Wink

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 21:12
I like what Offord did on the David Sancious album, too---wish it wasn't out of print.Cry
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 22:56
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

You dont find albums like Unfold the Future, Adam & Eve, or The Sum of No Evil have a fat snare sound up front? The drummer for those albums, Zoltan Czorsz, is quite good and very up front, In my opinion.

yeah, drums do sound okay on those albums.  could be better though.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 05:21

And I garuantee that every album of 2011 doesnt sound the same production wise unless all you lsiten too is standard Prog Metal, Symphoinic and Neo Prog (in which case it probably would).

That's what my impression was too: one can only say that all modern releases have that slick clinical sound if those modern prog releases all belong to a narrow corner of the scene.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 06:19

rogue's gallery is a podcast that highlights new prog.  i think you kind of made my point...most new prog sounds the same...at least to me.  def that clinical production.  great way to put it.  opeth and wobbler are def outliers.  didn't mention wobbler b/c they tend to get criticized as 'retro'.  
gonna check out some of the bands you listed.  haven't heard a few of them.  as far as what i listen to, the disc in my player is  Anima Mundi's The Way.  it has that clinical production, but the melodies are quite memorable.  

I guess it just depends on how you defign Prog. I f you keep to a fairly classic sound ideal for prog then this will be a big problem (second only to the lack of creativity that I feel the three aformentioned genres suffer from). As you can probebly tell, I'm not a big fan of msot mainstream prog of the Neo, Symph and DT-clone style. If you have a wider definition then you can be in for quite a surprise.

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 07:04
The way i look at production, is just a choice. You can choose to use a violin, You can choose to have a long
instrumental opening, you can choose no solos on an entire album, you can choose a Hardcore sound, trying to make an illusion of late 70's punk, or you can choose to fuble (4 dubble) the vocal with a lot of bathroom reverb.
Production is a part of the process and if you are good at it, it fits the rest of the choices.

If you check out bands like The Fall of Troy, they make it fit perfectly, still they dont sound a lot like neither opeth PT nor DT. Wilson on the last one did the opposite, made an allmost overly broad sound, like trying to top the late 70's Yes or PF sound, and that fits the project well, because the theme is very late 70's. 

Edited by tamijo - December 22 2011 at 07:09
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 09:23
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

The way i look at production, is just a choice. You can choose to use a violin, You can choose to have a long
instrumental opening, you can choose no solos on an entire album, you can choose a Hardcore sound, trying to make an illusion of late 70's punk, or you can choose to fuble (4 dubble) the vocal with a lot of bathroom reverb.
Production is a part of the process and if you are good at it, it fits the rest of the choices.

If you check out bands like The Fall of Troy, they make it fit perfectly, still they dont sound a lot like neither opeth PT nor DT. Wilson on the last one did the opposite, made an allmost overly broad sound, like trying to top the late 70's Yes or PF sound, and that fits the project well, because the theme is very late 70's. 

Little of what you said has anything to do with production and more to do with composition and arrangement, though your second paragraph is spot on, making the sound fit the style of music is very important.

JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 09:49
I actually find it very difficult to enjoy any music which doesn't have a modern production sound. I'm not sure whether that feeling stems from the fact that I'm quite young and most music I heard around me growing up had the same modern values or not, but when I hear an older album, or one produced cheaply it really bugs me.

A prime example is Astra: The Weirding. That album should be right up my street, but I can't bring myself to listen to it. It just feels wrong hearing such garbled production. Dredg: Leitmotif is another such album. Older 70s classic albums can sometimes feel the same to me. The drums sound so thin and nothing feels like it packs a punch. 

It's always at the back of my mind when I'm listening to something such as Genesis: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. I'm sure I have a very modern view here, and I doubt many people share it, but clean, modern production is one of the things I value in my music.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 20:33
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

I actually find it very difficult to enjoy any music which doesn't have a modern production sound. I'm not sure whether that feeling stems from the fact that I'm quite young and most music I heard around me growing up had the same modern values or not, but when I hear an older album, or one produced cheaply it really bugs me.

A prime example is Astra: The Weirding. That album should be right up my street, but I can't bring myself to listen to it. It just feels wrong hearing such garbled production. Dredg: Leitmotif is another such album. Older 70s classic albums can sometimes feel the same to me. The drums sound so thin and nothing feels like it packs a punch. 

It's always at the back of my mind when I'm listening to something such as Genesis: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. I'm sure I have a very modern view here, and I doubt many people share it, but clean, modern production is one of the things I value in my music.

i see where you're coming from.  it's all a matter of taste.  did you enjoy the most recent remixes of the genesis albums?  they sound more modern i think.  
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 20:46
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

i need to broaden my horizons a bit Cool
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2011 at 21:25

You are very correct in saying that older albums would in fact pack more of a punch with better production and they were indeed not always well produced.  Not sure I'd say that about Lamb..., but Foxtrot is a prime example of this.  The sound may be charming in a certain way but it is really not ideal.  On the other hand, there are some 70s albums with excellent sound too,  DSOTM and the next few PF albums, Crime of the Century, Songs in the key of life, Aja etc.   What I don't like so much about some modern recordings is how 'separated' they sound. I prefer when they blend more as if replicating the effect of a live performance where sounds do in fact blend.  I also prefer some light and shade, contrast and contrast of a more subtle degree so I am not so found of a mean level of loudness feel.  But that is just a preference and I stop at recognizing these preferences so that they don't bias my views too much. Production may not MAKE an album for me but unless it is simply unlistenable in terms of disturbance, audibility etc (more applicable to live albums), it doesn't generally BREAK it for me. 

Edited by rogerthat - December 22 2011 at 21:26
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2011 at 03:55

Kudos for the honesty in this post. Even an old fart like myself (I'm 49) finds the 'sensual' satisfaction of modern recordings ( notwithstanding the music) considerably more pleasurable than the relatively 'boxy' and 'unfocused' sound stages represented by the so-called classic Prog milestones of the 70's. I guess we are maybe spoiled now by the massive leap in fidelity as represented by the current marriage of analogue and digital technologies?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>