Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAthelstone - Maltese eclectic/heavy prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Athelstone - Maltese eclectic/heavy prog
    Posted: December 23 2011 at 13:48
Athelstone, formed in 2010 and hailing from the tiny island of Malta, have just released their debut album, The Quiet Before The Storm --->  http://athelstone.bandcamp.com/

The music is a mixture of prog-rock with elements of prog-metal, infused with jazz, fusion and post-rock influences. It has a very wide sonic spectrum, going from quiet, Porcupine Tree ambient-like sections to Crimsonian blowouts and everything in between. The album actually has five tracks, with the first three tracks combined into one long song, which is the title track ((i)The Quiet  ii) Before iii)The Storm). It has been described as "An impressive, eclectic fusion of melancholia, beauty and violence condensed into an ambitious progressive rock/metal/jazz album". The influence from bands such as King Crimson, Yes, Gentle Giant, Tool, Porcupine Tree and Opeth are quite evident,which is why they are possibly a good contender for either the "Eclectic Prog" or "Heavy Prog" section. Have a listen and see what you think :)

Edited by ice622 - December 23 2011 at 14:14
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2011 at 14:14
I was going to say a 3-track EP might not be enough for evaluation, until I realized it's almost an hour of music!! LOL
Very nice stuff, bits of post-rock, jazz, Rush, PT, KC... just like you said. I think Eclectic is the place for you guys, I'll alert the team.
ice622 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2011 at 14:20
haha yeah two of the songs are quite long, in true prog rock nature :) Thanks for listening, appreciate it!
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 08:26
Athelstone has been added to Eclectic:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7171
ice622 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 14:25
Awesome that's great, thanks a lot for the addition :) If needed, there is a slightly longer bio in the 'info' section the band's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/athelstone.band ), but I can just paste the text here directly if it's easier.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 14:39
Originally posted by ice622 ice622 wrote:

Awesome that's great, thanks a lot for the addition :) If needed, there is a slightly longer bio in the 'info' section the band's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/athelstone.band ), but I can just paste the text here directly if it's easier.

If you post exactly what you want the biography to be in this thread, I'll change it.
ice622 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 15:14
All right thanks much appreciated. This is the full-bio : 

"Composing music with no preconceived rules and limitations can bring out ideas which would not have taken shape otherwise. Athelstone, formed in Malta in 2010, is just that... music written at the service of inspiration without compromise. The compositions themselves are heavily influenced by progressive and experimental bands and artists from the second half of the twentieth century, be it the old school prog rock elite, modern prog-metal outfits, post-rock and shoegaze artists, and fusion/jazz/funk ensembles.

This musical philosophy led to guitarist Daniel Cassar and drummer/percussionist Matthew Vella to write an almost-hour long album over the span of six months. Highly committed to having a recorded product which matched their original artistic intentions, Ryan Vella Bonello was recruited on bass, and three months later, a DIY recording of the album was underway. The album was produced, engineered and orchestrated by Daniel and Matthew themselves during the summer of 2011, a self-induced hermit-like experience which took place in a basement, a living room, and even a couple of bedrooms. The result was the band’s debut album, The Quiet Before The Storm. The mission statement in Athelstone is therefore quite simple : to keep on making music for the pure joy of doing so, and sharing the energy of that which is created with as many people as possible."

Also, Just a quick question... I'm trying to start a new thread in the "Review Our Album" section, now that we're included in PA. I'm being told that "You do not have permission to post new topics in this forum". Any ideas/suggestions? At any rate, thanks once again for your time. We're very happy to officially be part of Prog Archives :D

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 15:22
Originally posted by ice622 ice622 wrote:

Also, Just a quick question... I'm trying to start a new thread in the "Review Our Album" section, now that we're included in PA. I'm being told that "You do not have permission to post new topics in this forum". Any ideas/suggestions? At any rate, thanks once again for your time. We're very happy to officially be part of Prog Archives :D

Post one more time here (just tell me "hello") and I think you'll be good to go.  Thumbs Up
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 15:24
And the new biography is up.  Thanks.
ice622 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 15:30
Looks wonderful, 10x! Smile and, as promised... hello LOL
Epignosis View Drop Down