Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Iona Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Iona Appreciation Thread
    Posted: December 26 2011 at 19:12
This has been done before but the thread got locked (inactive for too long, I guess?) so I decided to start a new one.

For those who don't know, Iona is a progressive Celtic band from the UK.  They are AMAZING and it's appalling that so few people have heard of them.  I think they're actually more well known outside prog circles, but not given much attention on this site, which is a shame because they're one of the best bands on PA.  Singer Joann Hogg has a stunning and versatile voice, and guitarist Dave Bainbridge is one of the best in the business (check out "Inside My Heart" from the live album Heaven's Bright Sun to get an idea of what I'm talking about).  I love the melodic, uplifting style of his playing.

I've heard a few albums and I plan to check them all out in the near future (I think they have seven studio albums).  Right now my favorite is Heaven's Bright Sun (live); it was my introduction to the band and it's complete audio perfection.  Has anyone heard their new album, Another Realm?  I want to get it but it's only available in Europe (I live in the US) and I keep myself on a tight budget so I might wait until it's available on this side of the pond (which hopefully will be soon).
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2011 at 21:13
Well, some of us at PA have been ardent fans, I have almost all the basic studio releases (Another Realm is on its way) but I believe that the Live in London DVD is the ultimate Iona package. Also Bainbridge's solo album Veil of Giossamer is breathless. Seemingly people still attach importance to its relative Christianity which is a shame , as its not very preachy. They will be touring the States soon, perhaps you can hook up........  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2011 at 21:58
Being a Christian myself, I sometimes with that they would be more obviously Christian in their lyrics.  But a lot of the lyrics focus on one's relationship with God and God's creation, and that makes up a lot of the beauty of their music, as it has the ambient feel of God's prescence in one's life.  I don't think it's really the Christianity that drives people on this site away from the band, as much as it is that Iona isn't really "prog" in the traditional sense (even though I do think they belong on this site) and don't appeal as much to the demographic on PA.  I still think it would do progheads good to check them out, though, because regardless of the genre, their music is very beautiful.  If more people listened to Iona, the world would be a better place (and I mean exactly what I said, I'm not exaggerating.  I believe that music has the power to influence people's souls and character).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2011 at 13:53
Come on Iona fans, I know you're out there...
Let's get the word out about this amazing band!
(I'm waiting for you, Mellotron Storm, we need collaborators and prog reviewers to give an authoritative opinion!  So far we've got one...)

shantelleyu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 04:25
I also her fans
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2012 at 23:13
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

...guitarist Dave Bainbridge is one of the best in the business (check out "Inside My Heart" from the live album Heaven's Bright Sun to get an idea of what I'm talking about).  I love the melodic, uplifting style of his playing...
The album Veil of Gossamer by Bainbridge is an instant classic.  Quite the talent and genius...
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2012 at 23:25
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

...guitarist Dave Bainbridge is one of the best in the business (check out "Inside My Heart" from the live album Heaven's Bright Sun to get an idea of what I'm talking about).  I love the melodic, uplifting style of his playing...
The album Veil of Gossamer by Bainbridge is an instant classic.  Quite the talent and genius...
An incredible album, easily on my top 50 EVER! Approve See my review for some proof!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 10:04
I have their first 4 CDs - some great stuff, especially "The Book of Kells".  I also have front row tickets for their show on June 24th.  Never seen them live before.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 03:06
Unfortunately, I am having trouble with their latest Another Realm. Just reviewed it (its all there to read) and am quite disappointed ......Tons of spins have only confirmed my dread.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 07:28
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Unfortunately, I am having trouble with their latest Another Realm. Just reviewed it (its all there to read) and am quite disappointed ......Tons of spins have only confirmed my dread.

Just read it Thomas and even though you were disappointed the review makes me want to get it.Go figure ?
I'm a big fan as well and enjoy pretty much all of their stuff but especially Open Sky.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 10:46
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Just read it Thomas and even though you were disappointed the review makes me want to get it.Go figure ?
I'm a big fan as well and enjoy pretty much all of their stuff but especially Open Sky.
Are you saying that my writing style induces fans to get albums even though they may be insipid?Wink  Darn it, I should be in marketing!   Er....I am ......Confused
Knowing your likes and dislikes, I wager you will agree with my comments. Shocked
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 13:39

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Are you saying that my writing style induces fans to get albums even though they may be insipid?Wink  Darn it, I should be in marketing!   Er....I am ......Confused
Knowing your likes and dislikes, I wager you will agree with my comments. Shocked

Hey i thought you must be in sales or somethingLOL. You tell it like it is but i still want to buy from youLOL.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 17:17
Is there anywhere I can (legally) stream the new album online?  I'd like to give it a listen before I go out and spend twenty dollars for it.
Guitar Noir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2012 at 07:58

I am a HUGE Iona fan, Beyond These Shores is my second favorite cd of all time.   However, I must agree that Another Realm is a bit of a let down for me as well.  I love the cd from a lyrical standpoint, however musically there's not much new here and overall it is nowhere near as powerfully as the previous cds.  It's not a bad cd, it's just not up the the extremely high standards of their previous work.  There are some great songs like "Clouds" and "White Horse".  "Let Your Glory Fall" is AMAZING!  I love Dave Bainbridge, he is one of my top ten favorite guiatr players and he has some nice solos on the cd.  Joanne Hogg's vocals are great as usual.  The new wind/ pipes player is great.  All that being said something is missing and I can't quite put my finger on it.  I would still recommend the cd to Iona fans.  I know for myself for whatever reason it took me a long time and a whole lot of plays to really get into the last two Iona cds, Open Sky and The Circling Hour, so I am open to Another Realm growing on me in time.         
"Sometimes the afterglow isn't enough and we have to move on." Steve Hackett
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2012 at 09:28
Another Realm is excellent. It's only slated because it's more obviously Christian, whereas in the past it's been much less obvious. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2012 at 21:15
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Another Realm is excellent. It's only slated because it's more obviously Christian, whereas in the past it's been much less obvious. 

I read the lyrics and was surprised to hear them talking about "revival" and such.  Lyrically, I really prefer their more Christo-centric material like "Chi-Ro" and "Wisdom," but I've always liked all their lyrics.  I listened to the songs on Youtube from the new album and liked them, but they didn't really strike me on the first listen.
Guitar Noir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 12:28
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

I love the fact that the lyrics are more overtly Christian on Another Realm.  I had a slight issue with the fact that on Open Sky the lyriccs were covertly Christian.  My issue with Another Realm is the songwriting.  The songs do not seem as strong as their previous work. 
"Sometimes the afterglow isn't enough and we have to move on." Steve Hackett
Green Flash View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 15:15
Celtic Prog?     You might want to give Face The West a listen to.  New tunes out this summer too.  http://www.facethewest.co.uk/
LirazelsOdyssey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 02:47
Greetings! < ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">

This is actually my first post to prog archives forums. I stumbled here while googling info about Iona's new release "Another Realm".  I just acquired it tonight and have listened to the first CD. On first impressions, it seems some pretty powerful stuff. 

I've been a lover of Iona since they started or became known at all in the US in the early 90s. I've never seen them live and have periodically looked at their tour schedule but have been disappointed to not see them in the US. I see their schedule for this tour so far but see nothing on the West Coast which is from where I hail.  I wonder if they are going to add any more dates? 

Perusing the threads here I have discovered another outstanding band tonight who I am sampling on youtube right now, Mostly Autumn. Nice. 

I have loved Iona because they speak to the kind of way God has always wired me. I tend to be of a mystical bent.. not really what one would consider "charismatic" but more contemplative, relating more to the ancient Christian mystics. This type of Christian expression had seemed to all but have died out and really Iona has always been my sole connection to that kind of expression. I use their music in my personal prayer and meditation time and was transported to "another realm" of tears while listening to "An Atmosphere of Miracles" tonight. This is what Iona accomplishes in me. Always has.  Hoping this revives my love of them as it has kind of cooled in recent years. I've never really connected to their albums of the '00 decade such as "Circling Hour" and "Open Sky".  Maybe I haven't sat down and contemplated them enough, I don't know. Just never really grabbed me. 

On another note, another Christian prog band I have discovered a new love of this last year is "Glass Hammer"... oh wow!!. Their album "An Inconsolable Secret" has had immeasurable impact on me and is where I get my user name here. I totally see myself as Lirazel and that album connects me to the love of God my father like no other. I'm currently working on a lyric sheet for that album containing Bible verses and passages alongside the text because I find as I'm listening I keep thinking of ones that go along with the ideas being sung about. 

Hope to find some friends and kindred spirits here. 

Lirazel
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2012 at 23:32
So you learned about this site because of Iona?  That's awesome!  I'm glad to hear they've meant so much for you in your faith.  I'm of the firm belief that if more people listened to Iona, the world would be a better place.
I didn't know Glass Hammer were a Christian band.  I've been checking them out, I'll try to pay more attention to the lyrics.  I don't know of many more Christian prog bands to recommend, though, unless you're into metal.  Neal Morse, maybe?
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>