FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenre Obsession!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 13:06
I would rather see everybody given the chance to tag albums than leaving it up to teams -- teams would still decide on category for the band/artist.  It may not be that reliable, and there may be abuse, and we'd have to have a warning and disclaimer, but I think it would be a bonus feature for users.  As more people tagged an album the tagging would become more reliable (perhaps collab taggings could be given greater weight, and we'd have more collabs who would be enlisted for the it tagging work, if we only allow a few tags per album, which would push the bad ones off the tag list for each album over time -- maybe weighted taggings that uses an algorithm that takes into account the number of times a tag has been given to an album for greater reliability).  I would hope that people would take the time to multi-tag when reviewing/ rating an album.

We'd have to decide which tags to use.  I wouldn't stick with just the names of our categories for tags -- pop, disco, funk, classical,  folk (using the term loosely) would be some obvious tags to have.

I would so love to be able to easily search this site for albums that cross particular styles.  I haven't used this site for research for years.  If I want, say, a psych jazz funk rock album from 1970, I google.  I don't find PA as a good a research tool as I would hope for an an archive which has has had so very much work put into it by so many volunteers.

Edited by Logan - January 05 2012 at 13:17
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 15:30
There's only obsession if you want it to be.
To me, genre tags are just a helpful but never definitive indication.

Certainly it would be nice to have per-album tags (I myself proposed for it in my first months of PA membership) but so far I have had no serious problem with PA not having them. Band tag + some looking at the album reviews gives you a fair enough image of what you can expect from each album.

Certainly for seach purposes this is far from ideal and I would still support additional per-album tags (no need to change anything of the current tags, just additional tags to be gradually added) but the current situation is not that bad either.
progprogprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 16:21
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

There's only obsession if you want it to be.
To me, genre tags are just a helpful but never definitive indication.

Certainly it would be nice to have per-album tags (I myself proposed for it in my first months of PA membership) but so far I have had no serious problem with PA not having them. Band tag + some looking at the album reviews gives you a fair enough image of what you can expect from each album.

Certainly for seach purposes this is far from ideal and I would still support additional per-album tags (no need to change anything of the current tags, just additional tags to be gradually added) but the current situation is not that bad either.
Good idea , gradually adding tags to albums.But who does that?I mean how do sub-genre teams going to agree upon the tags for a single album?.Some albums are a little obscure.
Always thinking in extremes.That's my way to beat boredom.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 17:23
OK, lets look in "prog folk".

We have Jethro Tull, who produced 3 blues rock albums, then four largely symphonic ones, then three folk ones with a bonkers one in the middle and then finally moved into heavy metal (they won a metal grammy for Crest of a Knave, though God knows how such a crock of s**t won anything).

Truthfully, out of 21 studio albums, I could just accept four as prog folk, yet there they are in that genre.

And Strawbs also are thus classed, despite only their first 5 studio albums (I class Antiques and Curios as a studio album as, though it's recorded live, the tracks are unique to that album) being prog folk. After that, they moved into glam rock, symphonic prog and ultimately "totally s**t rock" (new genre for you) from Nomadness onwards.

And as for "neo prog" - well just don't go there or I will really blow up and upset lots of people. Martin Orford never spoke so true as when he disparaged this label.

In short, genres are just silly names someone made up. It's just prog when it comes down to it.

Edited by Hercules - January 05 2012 at 17:24
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 18:11
Categorizing bands is way easier than classifying a band's works.In this situation it's even harder to have a same opinion on an album.
Lately I started Categorizing my albums in my player, which I label them into:
"masterpiecesBowdown"
"Worth listening"
"No Idea Yet"
"Weirds" 
"Ready To Delete"(This one is for times with low space cases)

Any idea?

Edited by progprogprog - January 05 2012 at 18:37
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 19:49
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The thing with categorisation is that it is extremely helpful to find music that will appeal to ones preferences at an archive, and it can help to expand ones tastes.  I know that I'm much more likely to find music that will appeal to me in various categories at PA than in others, and there's so much in PA that trawling through all the music samples and reviews would be very tedious.  For instance, Neo-Prog does not appeal to me, whereas RIO and similar "avant" oriented bands do appeal to me.  I like music from most of the categories at PA, but I don't want to see them all lumped together alphabetically.  I don't tag my album collection, and I have a ton of albums, but I don't need to as I know all of the albums in my collection and can quickly find whatever I feel like at any given time.

If I go to a museum, I like to have different sections.

Good points.  Categorization has its uses and become more necessary the larger the listings get.  Can you imagine a museum like the Louvre with only one section: Art?
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 19:52
Originally posted by progprogprog progprogprog wrote:

Categorizing bands is way easier than classifying a band's works.In this situation it's even harder to have a same opinion on an album.
"masterpiecesBowdown"
"Worth listening"
"No Idea Yet"
"Weirds" 

Any idea?

Good categories! Clap What constitutes Weirds?  Sometimes I like weird music, like the Residents, but I would not put them in a category below No Idea Yet.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 22:13
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

...we are far too obsessed with the right sub genre, whether prog is prog, and etc.
Agreed.  For me (to quote Gabriel-era Genesis [a sub-genre]):  "I know what I like, and I like what I know...."
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 22:35
Right, genres are there because 'you' - as in a figurative you - wanted them.  All fine and dandy to say they shouldn't exist, but they do.  What I do have some reservations about is evaluating first whether a band fits into a certain prog sub genre...viz crossover or neo prog, etc.   What then happens is if it doesn't fit squarely in that sub genre, it gets tossed around teams.  The first question ought to be whether it is prog, because we have seen that that itself is a question mark often times and not so easy to get a fix on.  If the collabs agree it is prog, then the question of where it best fits should be taken up.  But just because a band that is prog for all practical purposes doesn't fit squarely into one or two suggested sub-gs doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't belong on PA. 

Edited by rogerthat - January 05 2012 at 22:36
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 23:57
I like the idea of all users being able to tag. Remember, all it takes then is one person to know an album, and if that's all it takes then "too much work" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 23:59
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Right, genres are there because 'you' - as in a figurative you - wanted them.  All fine and dandy to say they shouldn't exist, but they do.  What I do have some reservations about is evaluating first whether a band fits into a certain prog sub genre...viz crossover or neo prog, etc.   What then happens is if it doesn't fit squarely in that sub genre, it gets tossed around teams.  The first question ought to be whether it is prog, because we have seen that that itself is a question mark often times and not so easy to get a fix on.  If the collabs agree it is prog, then the question of where it best fits should be taken up.  But just because a band that is prog for all practical purposes doesn't fit squarely into one or two suggested sub-gs doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't belong on PA. 

Yeah, I've seen a couple of suggestions be rejected unfortunately because of that. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 04:21
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

"masterpiecesBowdown"
"Worth listening"
"No Idea Yet"
"Weirds" 

Any idea?

Good categories! Clap What constitutes Weirds?  Sometimes I like weird music, like the Residents, but I would not put them in a category below No Idea Yet.
Some RIO and Zeuhl albums are in that list.Embarrassed

Edited by progprogprog - January 06 2012 at 04:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 04:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Sometimes I think they(PA guys) force an album to be prog Ermm.And also have seen albums that really is a Progressive Music, but is not in PA.how can we suggest bands to them? 

Edited by progprogprog - January 06 2012 at 04:40
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 04:50
^ Well you know, personal preference probably has a lot to do with it. But whatevs.

Ever since I've started getting into the more experimental stuff I just sort of gave up the tags. Usually when I talk with someone about a band it goes:

"Oh yeah this band's cool you should check them out!"

"What are they?"

"Um experimental-avant-metal-polka-jazz-blues-prog-pop-classical-oriental-electronica-idm-f**k it just listen to them, I have their stuff on my bloody Ipod". 
There be dragons
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 09:57

- Somebody to comes to the forum to complain about the focus and increasing fanaticism over genres, subgenres, and subsubgenres on Prog Archives.

- Somebody suggests  tagging albums, or even individual songs with their own subsubsubgenres, to reflect the eclectic nature of some artists and be more accurate. This makes the genre obsession even bigger, and ridiculously more complicated.

- Everybody on the forum agrees.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 09:58
^I don't
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 10:05
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

- Somebody to comes to the forum to complain about the focus and increasing fanaticism over genres, subgenres, and subsubgenres on Prog Archives.

- Somebody suggests  tagging albums, or even individual songs with their own subsubsubgenres, to reflect the eclectic nature of some artists and be more accurate. This makes the genre obsession even bigger, and ridiculously more complicated.

- Everybody on the forum agrees.

I noticed it, but didn't want to avoid them, instead I decided to join them Big smile

Edited by progprogprog - January 06 2012 at 10:06
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 10:05
I didn't either.  Wink  What's going on? LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 10:09
maybe because it's hard not to complicate things Wacko

Edited by progprogprog - January 06 2012 at 12:36
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 12:02

I don't know if the subject had been created before, excuse me if so.

Progressive rock music(specially old ones) are very uncommon in my area, and I think thats made me such a fanatic person about prog.Unhappy

I think a lot of people here shares this feeling. I'm one of those nerds LOL
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>