Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Geddy Lee vs. James Labrie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which of these two Canadian singers is better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
57 [73.08%]
21 [26.92%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geddy Lee vs. James Labrie
    Posted: January 21 2012 at 11:16
Two "love 'em or hate 'em" Canadian prog singers.  Who do you think is the best?  Please only consider their voices (not that James Labrie plays any instruments anyway, to my knowledge at least).  Take into account all eras of their careers and both studio and live performance.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 11:21
Geddy for sure.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
PabstRibbon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PabstRibbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 11:22
OMG it must be the easiest poll I've seen here in a while haha!! Geddy Lee anytime, anywhere, I really don't like Labrie. DT would have been better if Dominci had stayed IMO
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gandalff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 11:24
Where's another famous Canadian singer, Paul Anka?LOL

Seriously: LaBrie for me. But I must to admit I'm not keen to both singers. As we used to tell in my country: The one is for eighteen, the second is for twenty minus two.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fox On The Rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 11:30
For sure Geddy Lee.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akaBona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 12:22
I have a short history with LaBrie, but few decades with Lee - so Geddy for sure.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 12:56
Originally posted by Gandalff Gandalff wrote:

Seriously: LaBrie for me. But I must to admit I'm not keen to both singers. As we used to tell in my country: The one is for eighteen, the second is for twenty minus two.

OR six of one and half a dozen of the other.  Ying Yang

I voted Geddy.  His early vocals take some getting used to, but by the mid 80s his voice got pretty good.  I have nothing in particular against La Brie and regard him as just fine; meaning he'll do but I am not real excited with his work.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 14:19
If only Labrie did not get food poisoned.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 14:38
I have never hated either one, before or now. I don't think I have ever voted a poll so fast as this one.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 15:06
I'll go with the minority here; Labrie.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 16:43

I love them both.  Labrie, at his peak, was better than Geddy Lee ever was, IMO.  His vocals are the part of the music that stand out the most to me in DT's early recordings.  But Labrie's voice hasn't aged as well; he's great in the studio but has some problems with pitch live, while Geddy's voice is better than it has ever been.  I'll go with Geddy, because I think he's been better throughout his career than Labrie has.

Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slaughternalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 17:05
There was this one time when I didn't feel like tearing my ears out when listening to Rush. Can't say the same about Dream Theater though
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJLehto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 21:07
hmm.......well not really too big a fan of either, though Geddy is not as bad.
But early LaBrie was pretty decent.

Early LaBrie gets my vote :P
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prog4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 22:50
La Brie has his moments, but Geddy Lee has more...
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Miracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 22:56
I actually like LaBrie more. Both are pretty bad.
kawkaw123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawkaw123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 17:46
I like LaBrie. But Geddy Lee is like listening to a high pitched death melon. what ever that may be. 
Redug View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 21:55
Geddy Lee. James Labrie is probably the single biggest thing that keeps me from enjoying 90% of DT's discography.
Gooner View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 23:11
Geddy...especially his voice in the '80s from "Moving Pictures" all the way to "Hold Your Fire".
spknoevl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spknoevl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 07:24
Originally posted by Redug Redug wrote:

Geddy Lee. James Labrie is probably the single biggest thing that keeps me from enjoying 90% of DT's discography.

Agreed.
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 07:34
Geddy Lee easily
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>