Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNative american prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 08:31
Probably not prog, but I just ran acrossed this free download on Amazon called Native American Flute Lullabies.  http://www.amazon.com/Native-American-Flute-Lullabies/dp/B005BYUQ68/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336397422&sr=301-1
Lima96 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 23:17
Hey, America are three whole freaking continents, not just a large-sized country in the northern part!

Considering this, there is plenty of native american influenced prog. You should check:

Los Jaivas (Chile)
(Seen here playing in Macchu Pichu, like a south-american experience of what Pink Floyd did in Pompeii)

Arco Iris (Argentina)

Flor De Loto (Perú)

Wara (Bolivia)

Sikus Bolivia (Bolivia)

Edited by Lima96 - May 07 2012 at 23:19
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 23:39
Steve Walsh's Glossolalia. Also, I always thought some of the melodies and chords sounded tribal in a native american way on Death's last album. A Story To Tell in particular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02n4kKLUC4k
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 11:57
Hi,

There are a couple of them that I can think of, but in general, I imagine that they are considered "world music" a lot more than they will be considered "progressive" ... but the mixes are outstanding.

Tulku -- is magnificent.
Little Wolf Band -- also magnificent

Both of these come from the same group of folks, that I think had the idea of expanding American Indian music and traits into other disciplines and help spread its own taste. I find Tulku's first CD tops and is one that is impossible for me to not remember or enjoy at any time, and while it is hard to not think there is a side of it that is spiritual, for the most part I would think that ... how can you hide your inside on what you play?

There are way too many things mentioned here that don't fit, I do not think. But Buffy Saint Marie probably should be mentioned as she has been a part of that tradition for a long time, but her medium is folk, not rock, for the most part, in the stuff that I remember and have heard.

One last one, and it is not something that most folks here typically enjoy ... but Hawkwind, for all intents and purposes has twice shown its inclinations ... and one was an album named that ended with ... you got it ... an electric powow! The last cut of "Electric Tepee" really tells you every thing you need to know about this band. On their album "Space Bandits" they have an American Indian elder speaking and it is made to an unbelievably good use and mix, that even rockers can not appreciate, and I would say ... that American Indians should be proud that their heritage is appreciated by folks that usually do not know a whole lot about it, but appreciate the meaning of the words and its application! The Elk Speaks piece is magnificent, and we should never give a damn if it is progressive or not, lest we're too damn cynical to simply appreciate music, and hte many different things that can be done with it!

By comparison, you will find a listing of bands that play "aborigene rock" in Australia, a lot more than you will in America!

Edited by moshkito - May 08 2012 at 11:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 22:16
Pretty sure the singer in the early Fates Warning albums is native. I could be imagining this
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
Mr. Maestro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 22:23
Kansas does indeed have some Native American influences.  Take this song, for instance:

"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12