Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLaura J Martin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laura J Martin
    Posted: January 25 2012 at 08:20
Laura J Martin is an artist (flutist, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist) from Liverpool http://www.myspace.com/lalajmartin

Edited by Svetonio - January 25 2012 at 08:44
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 10:33
An outrageously talented young lady, known as the 'flute wrangler', who also plays mandolin & xylophone (not to mention occasionally a guitar and keyboard), as well as always having a loopstation to hand wth her on stage - immediate comparisons can be made to Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, and of course Kate Bush.
There are guest cameos from Canadian MC Buck 65, and Welsh folkie Euros Childs on her album 'The Hangman Tree' too.

Goodness knows what sub genre this might go in - there's both psyche folk and pop mixed in here, with lyrics that are often rooted in ancient folklore.

Laura's enthralling live performances have already earned her a number of devoted followers; amongst them Rob Da Bank who immediately offered her a booking at the 2010 Bestival and Camp Bestival, as well as a session performing on his Radio 1 Show. Previous appearances as festivals such as the Big Chill, Greenman, Lattitude, and Soundwave Croatia - and a support slot on Alice Russell's 2009 UK tour - have had crowds mesmerised by how much could be produced by just one lady! Whatever Laura turns her hand to seems to be an instant winner - her debut single DokiDoki was championed by Tom Robinson (BBC Radio 6) and both Vodaphone and Tang (one of Brazil's most popular drinks) have licensed it to promote their products. More recently, the acclaimed Twisted Nerve label (Andy Votel/Finders Keepers) have asked her to appear on their forthcoming next installment of the 'Bearded Ladies' compilation series (home-grown Selections of forlorn & freakish female songsmithery from the past four decades, featuring global sounds of the psychedelic, folk and sunshine pop variety from the past and present!)

Kate Bush is only regarded as prog-related on here, but I feel this lass may be a step beyond, and deserving of a place in one of the 'real' prog subgenres...I've got a feeling this suggestion might provoke a fair bit of discussion on here first though!! 

Edited by yam yam - January 25 2012 at 10:59
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 15:31
I haven't forgotten. Wink
I'll check this and any other suggestions in an hour or two.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 09:09
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

I've got a feeling this suggestion might provoke a fair bit of discussion on here first though!! 

Right... Wink

I don't hear this having anything to do with prog rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply