Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Which of these two keyboards wizards from 60's & 70's do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [39.84%]
49 [39.84%]
22 [17.89%]
3 [2.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 18:23
Emerson.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennismoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 20:53
Ola Amigo, Smile

yes, I meant as a solo artist.  Live and on record!

Rick has solo masterpieces!

Journey
King Arthur
6 Wives

Keith has very little solo fanfare.

Estamos hablando de cosas diferentes

Yes, you are right ELP is a trio and keyboard driven at that.  So take away Emerson and it falls, but not to sell Greg Lake short, he had perhaps the best caliber voice in prog and wrote classics such as Take A Pebble & Knife Edge, not just those famous ballads.  I can't imagine Pirates or Tarkus without Greg.

P.S. I voted for "both" but it is nice to see Emerson overtake Wakeman in the poll.  Keith Emerson's writing is a genuinely original style and his work could be analyzed endlessly. I would pick him if I were forced to, but I refuse as it would be pointless. Smile  YES is my favorite band overall, so does that make me a Judas to pick Emerson?

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
theadolescentprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theadolescentprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 12:43
Emerson any day! Rick, you're awesome but in hayday he was the best!

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 19:03
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Ola Amigo, Smileyes, I meant as a solo artist.  Live and on record!Rick has solo masterpieces!JourneyKing Arthur6 WivesKeith has very little solo fanfare.Estamos hablando de cosas diferentesYes, you are right ELP is a trio and keyboard driven at that.  So take away Emerson and it falls, but not to sell Greg Lake short, he had perhaps the best caliber voice in prog and wrote classics such as Take A Pebble & Knife Edge, not just those famous ballads.  I can't imagine Pirates or Tarkus without Greg.P.S. I voted for "both" but it is nice to see Emerson overtake Wakeman in the poll.  Keith Emerson's writing is a genuinely original style and his work could be analyzed endlessly. I would pick him if I were forced to, but I refuse as it would be pointless. Smile  YES is my favorite band overall, so does that make me a Judas to pick Emerson?

Hello, this is out of toppic, but whenever I read you writing in spanish, I just can't help pronouncing it in my mind with that American (or Gringo) accent. I only hope you won't picture my posts with latin accent from now on
clotomic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clotomic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 01:24
Good afternoon, days and nights! Although I risk to seem cocky, really do not understand how that doubt the essential curricular and primacy of Emerson. Nothing as clear as his icon figure expresses keyboards and progressive rock, with a strong ability to compose, arrange and especially perform. K. E. about as anyone, diverse musical fields, thanks to the synthesizer, syncretic vision. A curriculum for the evolution of music, eloquent, and profiling with The Nice
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 01:29
^bad translation program?

Guessing that was a vote for EmersonSmile
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-sz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 01:48
Couldn't decide--had to go with both.
I can't say they're quite my favorites, but once in a while I specifically get in the mood to listen to a bunch of both ELP and Wakeman solo albums.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 04:32
Nice poll. Emerson just takes it for being a little more adventurous. Both are incredible though Big smile
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 08:49
Emerson
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 09:01
Wakeman in a landslide. all respects for Keith, however!!
Progrockdude
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 09:02
Emerson had the quicker chops and  and the rock and roll showmaship but Wakeman brought class to prog and his later number of solo albums and collaberations showed an almost endless well of musical ideas, so it's Sir Rick for me.  Thumbs Up

Edited by SteveG - July 25 2014 at 09:04
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSDisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:00
Emerson by a mile. 
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 10:18
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^bad translation program?

Guessing that was a vote for EmersonSmile
Full marks for use of the word "syncretic" though!
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 22:31
Both.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 22:36
Wakeman
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 00:14
Prog would be orphan without any of them, had to vote "both" even if that's like not voting at all. Personally Emerson has always been my favourite, probably because Tarkus and Trilogy are the first Prog albums I remember listening to when I was a child and they were responsible for my life-long love for Prog. He was also an innovator and he would stick to his way of seeing things, not falling into the hypes or trends, as confirmed by his rejection of the Mellotron when every keyboardist at the time wanted one dearly.
Wakeman jumped on the train of mixing genuinely classical music in the rock and made very good albums at it, but I believe that Keith was the one having the more genuine vision of wanting to make modern "classical-rock" music. It's had to guess but I'm not sure Wakeman would have done what he did if Emerson had not existed.
Considering the total length of their careers though, Wakeman has produced more consistently good music.

Edited by Gerinski - July 27 2014 at 00:17
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 00:22
Ricky, man! Cool Just for his sh@# on albums like Close to the Edge and Tales from Topographic Oceans 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 00:57
Emerson is a better, more diverse player and was the main composer in ELP. Wakeman played on Yes' best works and has a substantial solo career. I think from that it's clear that Emerson has the greater stature in prog.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 02:47
Keith Emerson
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 03:24
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Prog would be orphan without any of them, had to vote "both" even if that's like not voting at all. Personally Emerson has always been my favourite, probably because Tarkus and Trilogy are the first Prog albums I remember listening to when I was a child and they were responsible for my life-long love for Prog. He was also an innovator and he would stick to his way of seeing things, not falling into the hypes or trends, as confirmed by his rejection of the Mellotron when every keyboardist at the time wanted one dearly.
Wakeman jumped on the train of mixing genuinely classical music in the rock and made very good albums at it, but I believe that Keith was the one having the more genuine vision of wanting to make modern "classical-rock" music. It's had to guess but I'm not sure Wakeman would have done what he did if Emerson had not existed.
Considering the total length of their careers though, Wakeman has produced more consistently good music.

Agree on many things although I do think that Emerson's solo career is a little underrated while Wakeman has made a fair few albums that could be avoided although I like the Retro (1 & 2) and Out There albums.
Emerson has a much smaller catalogue of solo albums but even his last one ( The Keith Emerson Band ft Marc Bonilla) is excellent and there aren't any ones that should be avoided. Pleased to see Changing States get a reissue as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>