Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Which of these two keyboards wizards from 60's & 70's do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [39.84%]
49 [39.84%]
22 [17.89%]
3 [2.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 21:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Prog would be orphan without any of them, had to vote "both" even if that's like not voting at all. Personally Emerson has always been my favourite, probably because Tarkus and Trilogy are the first Prog albums I remember listening to when I was a child and they were responsible for my life-long love for Prog. He was also an innovator and he would stick to his way of seeing things, not falling into the hypes or trends, as confirmed by his rejection of the Mellotron when every keyboardist at the time wanted one dearly.
Wakeman jumped on the train of mixing genuinely classical music in the rock and made very good albums at it, but I believe that Keith was the one having the more genuine vision of wanting to make modern "classical-rock" music. It's had to guess but I'm not sure Wakeman would have done what he did if Emerson had not existed.
Considering the total length of their careers though, Wakeman has produced more consistently good music.

Agree on many things although I do think that Emerson's solo career is a little underrated while Wakeman has made a fair few albums that could be avoided although I like the Retro (1 & 2) and Out There albums.
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Emerson has a much smaller catalogue of solo albums but even his last one ( The Keith Emerson Band ft Marc Bonilla) is excellent and there aren't any ones that should be avoided. Pleased to see Changing States get a reissue as well.</span>

I don't think that Rick's doing avoidable albums is a fair way of taking points away from him. He has done so many of them that they almost can't even be counted. Unfortunatley I have only heard one solo album from Emerson, the last one, which was nice, but there are many albums from Wakeman that I like better... actually, I wouldn't be surprised if there was none of his albums that I would like better than Wakeman's 70's classic albums (and some other later albums too). Even more so, there are at least 3 or 4 albums from Wakeman that I like better than any ELP album, and then I can even add Fragile and CttE.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 01:13
Wakeman's solo career is a bit strange - great at the beginning and great recently ( hopefully not the end). I love Six Wives which was a defining keyboard album , one of the very best for certain but not sure he ever again reached that level of brilliance. Criminal Record comes close though.

I was bigging up Keith Emerson as I am obviously a massive fan but there is a general consistency about his solo releases which is pleasing and that is because he has not just put out a load of stuff for the sake of it. Also since Changing States he was formed a very nice sometime collaboration with Marc Bonilla which produced the excellent Three Fates project as well as the KE band ft Marc Bonilla album. There hasn't been enough new music though and the need to fall back on ELP to presumably pay the bills hasn't helped. His partnership with Lake has been virtually dead from a creative point of view ever since Black Moon in 1992.

Pre Marc Bonilla and ELPowell  Emerson made 3 albums that should be taken seriously - Inferno (Dario Argento s/t) , Nighthwawks and Honky. Some very good music on those 3 albums. Honky is a more relaxed Emerson but no lack of creativity.

Of course Wakeman has had a prolific solo career but the quality to quantity ratio is well below that of Emerson's.
gaz-pacho View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaz-pacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 18:17
Wakeman for ever
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 19:47
Keith Emerson
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 21:26
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Wakeman's solo career is a bit strange - great at the beginning and great recently ( hopefully not the end). I love Six Wives which was a defining keyboard album , one of the very best for certain but not sure he ever again reached that level of brilliance. Criminal Record comes close though.

I was bigging up Keith Emerson as I am obviously a massive fan but there is a general consistency about his solo releases which is pleasing and that is because he has not just put out a load of stuff for the sake of it. Also since Changing States he was formed a very nice sometime collaboration with Marc Bonilla which produced the excellent Three Fates project as well as the KE band ft Marc Bonilla album. There hasn't been enough new music though and the need to fall back on ELP to presumably pay the bills hasn't helped. His partnership with Lake has been virtually dead from a creative point of view ever since Black Moon in 1992.

Pre Marc Bonilla and ELPowell  Emerson made 3 albums that should be taken seriously - Inferno (Dario Argento s/t) , Nighthwawks and Honky. Some very good music on those 3 albums. Honky is a more relaxed Emerson but no lack of creativity.

Of course Wakeman has had a prolific solo career but the quality to quantity ratio is well below that of Emerson's.

Once again I wouldn't go with the quality to quantity ratio to rate Wakeman, it would surely drop to the floor if we go that way. But just the quantity of great albums, and the quantity of good albums. And that's enough for me to love what he has done solo... come on, I actually love more of his solo albums than Yes albums themselves. Also, about the bad albums, it's very easy to deal with them, don't listen to them, and you would be left with at least 5, if not 10 wonderful albums to listen to, and that's more than the entire discography of many bands... and even more than the worthwile albums of most bands.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 04:55
...and now I see Emerson is hinting at retirement.  I would have loved to have gone to the Three Fates concert the other Friday but what Emerson wrote on his website about it was rather dispiriting (well done, BBC Concert Orchestra...)  On the other hand, I can't take Wakeman seriously these days and his creative peak ended with most prog bands by the late 70s
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 22:13
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

...and now I see Emerson is hinting at retirement.  I would have loved to have gone to the Three Fates concert the other Friday but what Emerson wrote on his website about it was rather dispiriting (well done, BBC Concert Orchestra...)  On the other hand, I can't take Wakeman seriously these days and his creative peak ended with most prog bands by the late 70s

Well, Wakeman did very little on the 00's, but the album "Out There" is really wonderful, right on par with his classics from the 70's, and there are some really nice songs on his two Retro albums.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 03:06
Nice to see this poll got rekindled after a short recess LOL.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 12:28
Wakeman FTW!!!
Progrockdude
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 12:41
The Caped Crusader.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 17:11
I'm going with Wakeman on this one.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 17:41
I'm choosing both - I can't compare them fairly. Rick's style is more classical-based whilst Keith's was more jazz-influenced. Neither could play like the other or do justice to each other's work. Their piano improvisations are completely different live. Two great prog icons we can be proud of!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 19:12
I've enjoyed Ricks odd unique style on those great 70's Yes albums and some of his----Bruford said Rick didn't have a blue note in him---Keith did---maybe thats why I like Rick's style more
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 19:21
Love both, but Emerson was better.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 21:11
I admit to being biased.  Wakeman's solo output was brilliant, and he had a more diverse recording career.  

However, I saw Emerson do some amazing things in concert, and his output was remarkable.  RIP Keith.

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 23:24
Wakeman. Both have had big egos, but I think Wakeman has always had more interesting things to say about his playing. Emerson just had too much just his skills showing in his playing, also had quite bad synth sound taste in the seventies. Also, Wakeman is quite jolly guy, have had many laughs about his doings.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 06:25
I levelled it up for Wakeman. I think he has a more quality end to his output despite the amount of bilge he has also put his name to.....
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 07:56
Both.....some fine work on multiple albums by these two keyboard men.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 13:53
Both (but I voted for Wakey.)
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 13:56
Both overrated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>