Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Flash Reforms with Ray Bennett & Colin Carter, CD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFlash Reforms with Ray Bennett & Colin Carter, CD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flash Reforms with Ray Bennett & Colin Carter, CD
    Posted: January 30 2012 at 20:34
(Go to the end of the thread for latest FLASH press releases.  The administrators aren't allowing new threads for Flash news...)

Colin Carter and Ray Bennett are hard at work on the last track for the long-awaited new Flash CD. 

4/29/2013 update:  
At last!!!
The new CD is now available for order - 

Edited by sherrynoland - May 07 2014 at 15:34
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 21:46
That was not as fast as I expected.

Edited by Polo - January 31 2012 at 00:25
sherrynoland View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 21:46
I've asked Ray for a sneak preview snippit of something.  I'll see if I can post something here soon....

Edited by sherrynoland - May 07 2014 at 15:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 00:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 00:58

Solo by new Flash keyboardist, Rick Daugherty from the tune, "Dark Shadows" on the band's upcoming CD.

Edited by sherrynoland - March 30 2012 at 00:53
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 02:14
Another FLASH 2012 clip from "Dark Shadows"...

Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 09:48
Great news!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 01:01
Thanks, Sherry!!  Great stuff, can't wait!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 17:20
More to come....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 22:45
Colin has arrived and "the boys" are back at it, working on what may turn out to be an acoustic version of "Manhattan Morning" from their third album--a fresh redo of a very pretty tune and one of my favorites from early Flash.

I'll keep you posted on how it's going.  And maybe get some new photos and video to share.

Also in the works--coming up with a name for the new CD and a cover design.

Any suggestions, anyone? 

Names currently under consideration:

FLASH IV  (As some of you know, it'll be the 4th Flash album)
FLASH 4
FLASH 4WORD
FLASH 2012

Edited by sherrynoland - May 07 2014 at 15:36
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 23:21
Tongue
Originally posted by sherrynoland sherrynoland wrote:

Colin has arrived and "the boys" are back at it, working on what may turn out to be an acoustic version of "Manhattan Morning" from their third album--a fresh redo of a very pretty tune and one of my favorites from early Flash.

I'll keep you posted on how it's going.  And maybe get some new photos and video to share.

Also in the works--coming up with a name for the new CD and a cover design.

Any suggestions, anyone?  How would you like to be the one to name it?  (Watch your language!)

Names currently under consideration:

FLASH IV  (As some of you know, it'll be the 4th Flash album)
FLASH 4
FLASH 4WORD
FLASH 2012

hmmmm...."Out Of Our Way"?  Nice followup to "Out of Our Hands"!  Clap

And, the cover BETTER involve nude female parts & lots of 'em!  We Flash fans demand no less!!  Big smile

Thanks, Sherry!  Like you, I also love "Manhattan Morning," first time I heard it was in concert, it blew me away!  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 01:25

Managed to grab a couple of shots as Flash wrapped up their first rehearsal today...

Colin, Ray and keyboard player, Rick Daugherty

Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 09:09
Looking forward to the new album.

But a cigarette in the nose?  Really?
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 15:14
A cigarette in the nose is worth two in the bush...:)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2012 at 07:53
Hi,

I like "Flash4word"

And yeah ... a word like that would probably require another Hipgnosis cover, just not sure ol' Stormm wants to do it though!

Only concern is that the word would suggest something more internal and psychic than the band's music and work might entail and the idea or concept is not on par with the band's work at all.

Edited by moshkito - February 09 2012 at 07:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 02:16
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll pass them along.  "Out of Our Way" got a chuckle!  The belief is that the perfect title will present itself when the album is finished.  I'll keep you posted.

Work on the last track went VERY well.  It took some doing, but everyone is really pleased with the new approach to "Manhattan Morning".  Now some mastering and then it's a wrap... 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 18:29
Hi,

Note: I hope you don't mind some wax'ing poetic and philosophical and this is (obviously) not the same issue for everyone.

At 61, I can look back and tell you that there were a lot of things I loved ... and I still have not stopped loving them.

There are some things, in life, that live forever. One of them we all know, and we have a word for it. That is a 4 letter word that at one time was valuable and meant something ... that was forgotten. We all know that word, but we tend to forget what it means, and many times, we wish we had not mis-interpreted that word, and then made a mistake that we do not always think ... very well about, or care to look at it ... and appreciate it.

There is one other thing in my life, and I will use a couple of examples on my short stories. I have not written any of these for almost 22 years or so, and when I look at them today, I admire the ability to have written it, and I look at it as ... very interesting, and I am happy that I wrote it, and still give credit to that one woman in my life, that still means more to me than ... just about anyone else. 

Because it reminds me of her, and she went her own way a couple of years later ... it would be easy for me to think that ... this and that ... and this and that ... I never have. I have always respected and appreciated her for who she was and being herself ... and made her decisions ... which in this case did not feature me.

Since then I have had many other poems and stories and they might, or might not connect ... "You ... are no longer a vision, or a poem" is one of the strongest ones ... but in the end, I have a tremendous love, care, and appreciation for the work that was done, even if today I would do it differently.

So I'm talking to Holger one time, and I happened to love the first two albums ... he didn't. The "insanity" and the "craziness" was not what he was about ... and yet, there it is in the music and the work ... and experimentation at its best ... which he never did again -- at least in the totally crazy way and style that was there.

Now, there was one funny thing here ... and one day I had a nice discussion with a couple of folks that are a part of Gong, with whom I have a warm sympathy based on the "literary'ness" of their work, and how for them, yesterday is today, and tomorrow is today and tomorrow was yesterday ... and that's that. And this past week I saw that film that talks about Ken Kesey's big trip ... and there is something in there ... that is really valuable, although a lot of folks might think ... that's insane ... but listen to what Ken says about the trip itself towards the end ... it's so subtle, quite, soft, and important ... that the whole thing is almost ... nothing when compared to that comment ... and it explains why some folks went (to have fun and whatever) ... and what it meant for Ken ... that some never understood on that trip .... which comes across in one other example to give you an idea of how we mis-interpret ... our own lives ... the comment about Nurse Ratchet ... she's not evil ... she's just doing her job for a society that demanded it, or a hospital that demanded it ... we still look at it, when we read the book, that she is the nasty one, not just an employee ... that was trapped like everyone else!

Now comes the saddest part of my life. Nowehere, in my life have I seen more __________________ (use your own words here) than I have in the world of music. If it was not this, it was that. If it wasn't Mr. Balloon Balls that ripped so many folks off, or someone else, it was this band and that band not getting along, or some folks that did not get along, or some folks that supposedly ripped off someone else (don't ask Patrick Moraz about that!)  and what not ...

And you know the saddest part of all that? ... the quantity of music and beautiful work that people put together that got lost, hidden, and buried alive ... and you know what I just thought of?

I do not know of many of us that want to bury our children or the results of our hearts ... it may not be perfect and be with someone ... but in the end, it is work that we did, and helped us learn something about ourselves, and hopefully something that is far more important than ourselves ... the obvious question is ... do we know what that is, and are we interested in the one and only muse that will ever help us create something more meaningful ... than just a few notes of music. It will be you for a moment ... and someone else the next ... and a fleeting wind ... or thought ... right after it ... gone ...

With much heart and i wish the band the very best ... but don't forget the source ... there is only one that matters!

Edited by moshkito - February 17 2012 at 18:36
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 19:51
Good thing they're reformed. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 12:28
Originally posted by sherrynoland sherrynoland wrote:

Another FLASH 2012 clip from "Dark Shadows"...

Very interesting ... a sound that actually is "before" the group YES actually ... with less synthesizer and more organic keyboard sounds, as simple as an organ ... very nice actually.

While I like that a lot, in my world there is no reason to not have synthesizers or add another dimension to the overall sound ... but yes ... that is my own view on it. 
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 13:19
Ray tells me there will be sythesizers, too, Moshkito.  I think there will be lots of surprises!  Something unexpected.  Something new.  Something very original.  Something FLASH....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>