Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Flash Reforms with Ray Bennett & Colin Carter, CD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFlash Reforms with Ray Bennett & Colin Carter, CD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 15:31
The first review....

“Iconic prog rockers Ray Bennett and Colin Carter have achieved the impossible: they've created complex contemporary rock boasting all the sonic hallmarks of Flash's classic material. It's all here: dynamic compositions, perfect vocal intonation and kick-ass guitar work.” - Will Romano, author of 'Mountains Come Out of the Sky', a history of prog rock

Edited by sherrynoland - May 13 2013 at 17:10
glassonyonpr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 10:21
For Immediate Release

Prog Legends Flash Featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter To Release New CD!

Los Angeles, CA - British progressive rock legends Flash, featuring founding members Ray Bennett & Colin Carter, will be releasing their highly anticipated new CD on Purple Pyramid Records on May 21, 2013. Titled 'Flash featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter', it's the first album by the group in 40 years, taking the band to a new level of creativity and virtuosity with this current set of progressive melodic rock tunes. 

Founded by lead vocalist Colin Carter, original YES member, guitar legend Peter Banks, bassist Ray Bennett and drummer Mike Hough, Flash released three critically acclaimed albums in the 1970's and undertook several successful tours of the US and Europe. In the USA, the single “Small Beginnings” reached #29 in the Billboard charts, and the first album 'Flash' made the top 50, propelling the band into major venues on their first tour. In the US, Flash went from intimate venues like the Whisky A Go Go, to large concert halls like New York's Avery Fisher Hall, to the wild crowd of 300,000 music fans at the Soda Pop Festival in Indiana. Flash also made high profile performances on TV shows in Europe and the US, including 'The Midnight Special' and the Wolfman Jack hosted 'Superstars Of Rock'. 

The band's new CD was recorded over a period of three years and it delivers a mixture of classic and modern progressive rock sure to please die-hard Flash fans and new listeners alike! Says Ray Bennett, “First and foremost, I think the new album turned out really well. No, that's being somewhat modest... I think it's brilliant. I wouldn't be happy with anything less. The goal for me, and I think Colin would agree, is to put an album together that's always a turn on. Not just in the beginning when you are all excited about the newness of it, but always. I realized somewhere back in time that it is possible to have that. It's really just as the old saying goes... 'a thing of beauty is a joy forever'. I think this CD is always going to shine.” Colin Carter adds, “It's left brain / right brain rock. Enough skill, detail and finesse to tease the intellect, mixed with enough raw power to send you skidding out of control across the stage on your knees and crashing into amps. Watch out for the splinters!”

Along with Ray, now on lead guitar, and Colin, on lead vocals and rhythm guitar, keyboardist Rick Daugherty has been added to the line-up giving the band's sound more warmth and depth. Mark Pardy on drums and Wayne Carver on bass make up the new rhythm section. The album includes five new songs penned by Ray and Colin, two new instrumental pieces, and a cover of NIN's 'Hurt', which the band has performed in concert. There is also a new version of the classic Flash song “Manhattan Morning” from the band's third studio album 'Out Of Our Hands'.

Ray explains, “Colin and I did write a large chunk of the old Flash material, and our sensibilities as writers haven't changed a huge amount. We still write all the time. But obviously we've developed, we're more sophisticated, and we have a few more tricks up our sleeves. I think that all shows up on the new CD. I saw a lot of magic happen on this new album. As it grew into a finished thing, all kinds of excellent stuff popped up as we let it develop. A lot to be said for giving it time.”

“Iconic prog rockers Ray Bennett and Colin Carter have achieved the impossible: they've created complex contemporary rock boasting all the sonic hallmarks of Flash's classic material. It's all here: dynamic compositions, perfect vocal intonation and kick-ass guitar work.” - Will Romano, author of 'Mountains Come Out of the Sky', a history of prog rock

In closing Ray has this to impart, “I think that with the years passing you can get new growth and new inspiration if you are willing to try new things. Colin and I are up for that. However, in our case, oddly enough, trying new things led back to Flash.”

Flash Psychosync website: http://www.psychosync.info/

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH: 828-350-8158[email protected]

CLEOPATRA LABEL GROUP
11041 Santa Monica Blvd #703
Los Angeles CA 90025

sherrynoland View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 14:01
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 04:51
This picked up via Martin Kielty at 'Prog' magazine yesterday: http://www.progrockmag.com/news/flash-to-release-first-album-in-40-years/

"Flash will release their first album in 40 years next week, they’ve announced.

It’s called Flash Featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter and it’s their fourth LP, coming after Out Of Our Hands, which was launched in 1973.

Vocalist Carter formed the band in 1971 with bassist Bennett, original Yes guitar icon Peter Banks (who sadly died recently) and drummer Mike Hough. Bennett now plays lead guitar with Carter on rhythm guitar and vocals, alongside bassist Wayne Carver, keyboardist Rick Daugherty and drummer Mark Pardy.

The album has been three years in the making. Bennett says: “Colin and I did write a large chunk of the old Flash material, and our sensibilities as writers haven’t changed a huge amount. We still write all the time.

“But we’ve developed, we’re more sophisticated, and we have a few more tricks up our sleeves. I think that all shows up on the new CD. I saw a lot of magic happen on this new album – as it grew into a finished thing, all kinds of excellent stuff popped up as we let it develop. There’s a lot to be said for giving it time.”

Flash Featuring Ray Bennett & Colin Carter is available for preorder now."

Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - May 16 2013 at 04:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 13:31
Excuse the repetitions.  The administrators have been moving things around again.

Anyway.....the music.  That's what it's all about!  

Cheers, everyone.  Rock 'n' roll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 14:20
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 14:42
After 40 years!!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 14:50
The back story is amazing, Nick.  It's never too late...Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 01:05
The new FLASH CD!!!!  Not sure what this means, but checked the rank on amazon earlier today....
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,431 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
#31 in Music > Classic Rock > Psychedelic Rock
#70 in Music > World Music

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 20:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 15:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 16:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 17:40
You can hear another full track, "Grand Canyon", on The Canvas Prog Hour radio show.  Click part 2 to listen to the segment Flash is in, but the whole show is pretty hot.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 15:05
youtube for the new CD—the first cover ever recorded by Flash, NIN's "Hurt"...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 01:23
Has anyone heard the whole album yet?  How'd you like it?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 16:09
This review, very detailed and interesting from a prog aficionado.

Edited by sherrynoland - June 08 2013 at 05:03
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 09:38
Come on guys - there must be some Flash fans out there who have heard this by now - even if only to give it a rating:

What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 14:42
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Come on guys - there must be some Flash fans out there who have heard this by now - even if only to give it a rating:

Im off Thursday and will give it a full spin!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2013 at 01:30
Another Flash review...

Edited by sherrynoland - June 08 2013 at 04:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 00:59
 I'm so happy for the guys...

Another great review from Belgium.  Follow the link to read it in French, or if you're interested you can read the online translator robot which makes comical mincemeat of it...but you can get the gist.  And 4 of 4 stars is quite clear! (You have to go to the site to see them.)

And one from France, also in french.

Edited by sherrynoland - June 16 2013 at 02:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>