Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTOP 100 Progressive Music Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
proglamaniac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 21:25
Thanks for the welcome.  I've been a non-lurking member of your sister/brother site progressive ears for a few years now, and I've been using progarchives as a reliable resource for prog about the same.  I've learned of many bands and albums from this site that I might not have had progarchives not been here.  I've been a diehard progger since the early 70s when, still in my teens, I was exposed to Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, Yes, and all the great bands that were popular at the time.  And that was notable, because one could hear a track from Yes Fragile on FM one moment, followed by a Black Sabbath or Blue Oyster Cult track and then maybe Foghat or Elton John.  Those days have changed, of course.  Dramatically, and not for the better.  Thank God for the internet, the bridge that connected all of us!

I think I understand that many, if not most, of the bands/albums I listed are already reviewed.  It's possible I misunderstood the purpose of a top 100 proto-prog list.  Let's see how close I am...

The purpose of a top 100 genre list, in this case proto-prog, is to list the best 100 albums that genre had to offer.  That seemed pretty clear to me, but by all means correct me if I'm wrong.  If that's the case, and I believe it is, how does 33 of the 100 albums end up coming from one band?  Deep Purple, whom I am a BIG fan (MK II mainly) put out some 4 studio albums and 1 great live album from 1970 to 1974 when Gillan and Glover both left the band before Burn.  That makes 5 albums.

Proto-prog is a sub-genre of progressive rock that generally refers to bands in the late 60s and early 70s that played a more sophisticated rock music but was not necessarily "progressive".  Look anywhere on the 'net and you'll read names like Cressida, Spring, Gracious, Colosseum, Manfred Mann, Gnidrolog, Indian Summer, Still Life, and so many of their kind it's fairly obvious to anyone who takes the time to read up on this early movement (which is generally considered to have had its beginning in Great Britain).

Not one of those bands or their albums are mentioned in the top 100 proto-prog list, yet Deep Purple has 33, only a handful of which were actually recorded before 1972!  They had 3 or 4 albums before 1970 and another 3 or 4 after, which in my count comes to 8 at the most, not 33.  How many reviews do you suggest I read before that improbable figure begins to make sense?  Or is it because the other 28 Deep Purple albums that make up the bulk of that list aren't reviewed that qualifies them for inclusion?  If that's a primary criteria, then wouldn't the Carpenters or Blood, Sweat & Tears be on that list, since they have not been reviewed?

Admittedly, I'm not the most tactful person on the planet and for that I'm truly sorry.  I don't wake up each morning thinking of ways to piss people off.  The only reason I joined this forum was from shock.  You guys can run your site any way you like, but if want input from folks who might know a thing or two about the whole genre of progressive rock music, I'm available and I'd love to share what I know.  After consuming prog ravenously for over 35 years, I might just know a thing or two.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Maybe you can explain to me why Deep Purple has 33 albums in this list and classic proto-prog bands like Cressida, Gracious or Spring have 0.  Please explain to me how a live album by DP recorded in 2001 qualifies as proto, when a classic album by Still Life recorded in 1971 on the Vertigo label does not.  Hey, I'm not trying to crap in your corn flakes here.  I guess I could have tempered my comments a bit so I didn't sound like I thought the people who created the list were idiots.  I'm sure there's a good reason.  I just didn't see one at the time.  But I'm all ears.

Enlighten me.  This might be fun.  Or maybe you'll tell me that David Bowie's latest album is proto-prog, and I'll just go find another forum to join.  It's no sweat off my balls.

Oh, I almost forgot.  Web is actually Samurai, they just changed their name. While they may be the same band with a new name, Brainchild has nothing to do with Greenslade.  Lennie Wright of Web and Samurai did produce Brainchild's album, which explains why they share a similar sound/style, not to mention the album cover design too.  But Dave Lawson left Samurai to form his own band: Greenslade.  So, saying that covering Greenslade amounts to covering Samurai or that covering Samurai is the equivalent to covering Brainchild is like saying Allan Holdsworth is Canterbury because he played on a couple albums with Bill Bruford, who happened to play with National Health and Gong for a short time.  Rich Wakeman was a guest keyboardist on a couple Black Sabbath albums, so does that make him a metal keyboardist?

In the words of our beloved Mike Meyers who played the host of "Cawfee Tawk" on SNL, "Talk amongst yourselves..."

prog on!

Edited by proglamaniac - July 06 2006 at 21:34
I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 20:03
And interestingly enough, 37 of the 39 bands mentioned are already listed here with over 1,800 reviews posted (as Joolz says, under their proper genres), and the two that aren't (The Web and Brainchild) are somewhat represented by Samurai and Greenslade, and both have been mentioned in the forums.

A pretty good quality-control check for the Archives. A big hand for our genre groups and all the collabs who review admissions!

Proglamaniac - welcome to the Archives. Pull up a chair and take some time to look around, particularly at the album/review archives.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 11:36
Nice answer Joolz.Thumbs Up
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 03:57
^^^^^

erm, no, the Internal News forum isn't the place to discuss these things. But, as you've raised them, a couple of observations ....

1 Those lists are generated automatically from ratings and therefore reflect the preferences of members and reviewers.

2 Currently, genres are only assigned to bands, not to individual albums. Many of those names on your list are assigned to full prog genres which is why they do not appear in Proto Prog.

EDIT: oh - PS:

3 The database is still being populated and there are currently many anomalies. These are being or will be addressed by Collabs as time allows.

Edited by Joolz - July 06 2006 at 04:00
proglamaniac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 03:21
I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post a reply, but here goes...

I'm responding to the top 100 proto-prog list.  Out of 100 albums, I counted 33 for Deep Purple.  Are you on drugs or just clueless on the subject of proto-prog?

33 albums constitutes 1/3 of the entire list, and over half of those are compilations, live recordings 20 to 30 after their prime period (1968-74), and greatest hits.  You gotta be kidding me!

All 100 entries were covered by a total of... get this... 13 bands.  If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure there were more than 13 proto-prog bands from the late 60s to early 70s, which is the time period in which the term "proto-prog" (proto meaning 'before') would be applicable.  Anything after 1973 is not proto-prog, because by 1973 the progressive rock movement had matured well beyond its early infancy stage.  Would you call Lark's Tongues in Aspic or Passion Play proto-prog?  I wouldn't.

There were a few entries that should be there: Vanilla Fudge, Procol Harem, Arthur Brown.  But Pan & Regaliz?  The Collectors?  It's a Beautiful Day is a good inclusion, but Iron Butterfly was west coast psychedelic rock, not proto-prog.

Here's a few suggestions:

Indian Summer - s/t 1971 Neon (same label as Black Sabbath's debut)
Still Life - s/t 1(Vertigo 1971)
Catapilla - s/t (Vertigo 1971)
Catapilla - Changes (Vertigo 1972)
Spring - s/t (Neon 1971... early Mellotron masterpiece!)
Czar - s/t 1971
Cressida - s/t (Vertigo 1970)
Cressida - Asylum (Vertigo 1971)
Atomic Rooster - s/t 1970
Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You 1970
Affinity - s/t 1970 Vertigo (Vertigo had a TON of great proto-prog acts on its label)
Tonton Macoute - s/t (Neon 1971)
Web - I Spider (Polydor 1970)
Samurai - s/t (Greenwich 1971)
Van der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other (Famous Charisma 1969)
Van der Graaf Generator - H to He Who Am the Only One (Famous Charisma 1970)
Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts (Famous Charisma 1971)
T2 - It'll All Work Out in Boomland (Decca 1970)
Renaissance - s/t (Island 1969)
Renaissance - Illusion (Island 1971)
Rare Bird - s/t (Charisma 1969)
Rare Bird - As Your Mind Flies By (Charisma 1970)
Raw Material - Time Is... (Neon 1971)
Ramases - Space Hymns (Vertigo 1971)
Quatermass - s/t (Harvest 1970)
Nektar - Journey to the Centre of the Eye (Bacillus 1971)
Morgan - Nova Solis (RCA 1971)
McDonald & Giles - s/t (Atlantic 1970)
Marsupilami - s/t (Transatlantic 1970)
Marsupilami - Arena (Transatlantic 1971)

Where's all the King Crimson?  They belong in the art rock category, but surely their early albums helped define a new genre.  In the Court of the Crimson King practically created the term progressive before anyone knew what that was, clearly a "proto" band that became the blueprint for countless imitators that followed.

Jonesy - No Alternative (Dawn 1972)
Jade Warrior - s/t (Vertigo 1971)
Jade Warrior - Released (Vertigo 1971)
High Tide - Sea Shanties (Liberty 1969)
High Tide - s/t (Liberty 1970)
Bo Hansson - Sagan Om Ringen (Silence 1970)
Gracious - Gracious! (Vertigo 1970)
Gracious - This is...Gracious!! (Philips 1972)
Gnidrolog - Lady Lake (RCA 1972)
Gentle Giant - s/t (Vertigo 1970)
Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste (Vertigo 1971)
Fields - s/t (CBS 1971)
Fantasty - Paint a Picture (Polydor 1973... it's in the same sound/style)
Ekseption - s/t (Philips 1969)
Ekseption - Beggar Julia's Time Trip (Philips 1970)
East of Eden - Mercator Projected (Deram 1969)
Colosseum - Valentyne Suite (Vertigo 1969)
Colosseum - Daughter of Time (Dunhill 1970 in the US Sequel in UK)
Circus - s/t (Transatlantic 1969)
Brainchild - Healing of the Lunatic Owl (A&M 1970)
Beggars Opera - Act One (Vertigo 1970)
Beggars Opera - Waters of Change (Vertigo 1971)
Beggars Opera - Pathfinder (Vertigo 1972)
Trees - On the Shore (1970)
Soft Machine - Third (1970)

Okay, I guess you get the idea... There were a TON of great proto-prog bands, and I'm only scratching the surface here. 

I have to admit the symphonic and art rock top 100 lists are pretty comprehensive, and I even found a few titles I'd not heard of before.  Cudos to the contributors of those lists!

Whoever did the proto-prog list needs to take proto-prog 101.  Classes now forming...

prog on!

I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 21:21

No no, of course not. In fact, I'm shocked you could even suggest such a thing! :P

Seriously though, it wasn't.

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 20:27
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

Yay! It actually went back up for awhile, but now it's back down.

but that wasnt the intention behind your review was it...?

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 22:37

Yay! It actually went back up for awhile, but now it's back down.

The Green Tank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 21:30
Wow, Close to the Edge has been knocked off the top spot. This is the first time I've seen that happen.

ZBY147 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 14:23
WHERE IS IRON MAIDEN , BLACK SABBATH, LED ZEPPELIN..?-  BETTER PROG THAN  ALL PROG-METAL < id="kpfLog" src="http://127.0.0.1:44501/pl.?START_LOG" onload="destroy(this)" style="display: none;"> < ="text/">
kenmeyerjr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 15:23
I really think there should be at least one Go album in this list, probably the Live in Paris. With the personnel involved (Winwood, DiMeola, Shultz, Shrieve, Yamashta), it is truly a supergroup of this genre and this is a great record. The two studio albums that preceeded it (Go and Go Too) are also very good. Myself, I would give the live one at least 4 stars and the two studio albums 4 or 3.5 as well. Thoughts? I have never tried to add a release to any of these lists, so excuse me if I am going about it the wrong way.
If you like art of musicians, check my site (the music section) and tell me what you think! http://www.kenmeyerjr.com
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 08:23

^ I don't remember EXACTLY, but it goes a little bit like this:

avg_rating * avg_rating * log(number_of_ratings).

Toccata View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 07:59

What do we think about this page and algorithm?..

The page is wonderful. But what about algorithm? Could you please, M@X, reveal it to us. And maybe some of us would have any suggestions.

greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 01:44
i like the pics! i'm visual! great job max!
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Rui__ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 13:32
dont know if has already been said but what about top albums by year?

cheers
pero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2005 at 06:30

Hi Max,

In jazz rock/fusion you have mixed everything.

At first fusion is invented by Miles Davis in late 60.

The musicians from his band: John Mclaughlin, Billy Cobham formed Mahavishnu orchestra

and made exellent albums: Birds of fire, From nothigness to eternity, Live...

Herbie Hancock formed his group and made one of the finest jazz rock albums Headhunters.

Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke formed Return to forever (No mystery, Hymn of seventh galaxy, Returrn to forever...

Billy Cobham made few great jazz rock albums : Spectrum, Crosswinds.

Also the best jazz rock bands are Gong from his middle period: Gazeuse, Expresso, Esxspresso II, and Passport with Klaus Doldinger.

The most of the top 100 jazz rock/fusion albums from your list dont belong there.

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 14:36

Pero,

The chart is not made up by M@X, it's calculated based on the ratings people give in their reviews. It's quite a complex calculation though, not just a straight average.

GS, there are options to include a selected genre and/or type only on the chart page. You can customise the selection to see what you're looking for.

M@X, The various selection options are great, very user friendly too.

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 09:36

I dont think I was looking at the right thing.  how is it possible that DT's live scenes from new york is in the top 10?  DT  deserves at least one top 20 album but certainly not that one.  also, dont include dvd's in the algorithm.

http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
pero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 08:29

Hi Max,

You have forgoten to include some great bands like: Focus, Gong.

Supertramp is not prog at all.

Zappa: Joe's garage is my favorite

In fusion, Brand X is no match to Mahavishnu orchestra, Return to forever, Gong, Billy Cobham (Spectrum, Crosswinds) and Herbie Hancock (Headhunters, Flood, Man child), and the king of fusion is Miles Davis.

E L & P: E L & P (first album) is great and also Brain salad surgery.

You didn't include Sonic youth also

King crimson is the best prog band of all times for me, but their best albums are: Larks tongues in aspic, Islands, Red.

Sorry for my poor English.

Keep up the good work

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 09:37

If you use the average rating only, you end up with 100 albums that have one or two five star reviews, and your entire list would consist of 5.0 albums ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>