Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTOP 100 Progressive Music Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 13:18
^ It has occurred to me once that some people do it unconsciously, i.e. they don't even realize it.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 13:50
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ It has occurred to me once that some people do it unconsciously, i.e. they don't even realize it.

That must take some skills.
I don't think I could even function a computer unconsciously, let alone rate albums on PA.Wink
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 14:57
^ I mean, some people don't seem to wholly understand the nature and consequences of their doings, you see?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 09 2013 at 14:58
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 15:25
There is little doubt that they do. No one rates their favourite album with 5-stars and then gives every other album in the chart 1-star by accident. No one buys every fricking album by a bad they hate and then rates them each with one star on this website without knowing exactly what it is they are doing and why they are doing it. There is no reason to be apologetic for this kind of childish behaviour.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 15:37
^ Here's the reason why brought this up. One person has committed something, and some time later he's been explained what it is that he did. I presume that's because that first person didn't know what it is that he did. Ermm

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 09 2013 at 15:38
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 15:42
Of course he knew what he was doing - he's an attention-seeking troll.
What?
sl75 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 00:06
I came here to try and figure out how the QWR works. Thanks MikeEnRegalia for explaining it so well back on page 3.

Picking up Keewee's question from earlier: why is there not an easy option for including Proto-Prog or Prog-Related in a query? I agree with the reasoning for not including them in the default setting, but it should be possible to select them in the filter for Sub-Genre if you're interested.

(As it happens, it can be done manually by creating a filter based on any random subgenre, clicking submit, and then editing the &ssubgenres=x part of the resulting URL to read either &ssubgenres=37 for proto or &ssubgenres=38 for related, then pressing enter/return on the keyboard instead of clicking submit - but that's pretty tiresome to have to do it that way)
sl75 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 00:13
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

Originally posted by Rune2000 Rune2000 wrote:

I've noticed a weird "bug" every time I set the Filter:By Progressive Rock Sub-Genre-setting to Symphonic Prog and click the Submit-button the results page has genres Eclectic Prog, Experimental, Post Metal, Heavy Prog, Symphonic Prog & Tech/Extreme Prog Metal all highlighted in the multiple selection field.

The results I get are alright, but it's that minor bug that made me a bit confused. Confused
It doesn't seem to reoccur if I select any of the other Sub-Genres, only Symphonic Prog! LOL

Confirmed

Updated: It does the same thing with Crossover. I've selected Crossover releases from 2009 and after proceeding it, it selected five more genres for me. Three of them were Metal :-D it must be conspiracy.

It still does this for me, and it also does it when selecting Australia in the Country filter (worse there because the additional countries it selects are hidden from view - so you can alter some other parameters and press submit again, only to find yourself looking at albums from Lebanon, Mexico, Moldova and Monaco instead of just Australia.)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 02:44
^ Yes, we know about this problem, and yes, satisfying the proposition would be too laborious for anyone to seriously consider committing to it. Just my two cents.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 05:45
Originally posted by misterprog misterprog wrote:

the system is good. I just see one limit. Too often peole give 5 stars or one star without anydeep consideration. They judge how they like an album, while they should judge the quality of the music. I know it is difficult, but I give you a sample (I checked).If a guy doen't like progressive synphonic and an album is progressive synphonic, they will get 2 or 1 stars. I would like to find a system where the judgmente that are made from people that (from the hystory) do not like the gentre, will be authomatically cancelled.If a person dislike RPI and aafter 5 rating he ha an avarage of 1,5 he cannot judge RPI anymore. Maybe extreme,,,but more fair than now....

I get what you're saying and then again not. When we start taking away people's right to have an opinion (even when it's on an album in a genre they know nothing about), we're toiling with the very foundation of the website....and in my personal opinion turning it into something that reeks of music snobbery. Sorry, I get the intentions behind your request, but it is simply not doable. Andrey gave you the technical side of the problem in the post before mine, but the real pickle is the message such a change would implement.

Then again, any system based on ratings is bound to have flaws. None are infallible - believe me we've had this discussion before.......and anyway, the trick is to stop caring about ratings and rankings and just listen to what the reviewers (if they're any good) have to say about the music - find ones that mirror your own tastes and you're pretty much set up. Music is not a competition.

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 07 2015 at 06:07
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 07:20
Originally posted by misterprog misterprog wrote:

the system is good. I just see one limit. Too often peole give 5 stars or one star without anydeep consideration. They judge how they like an album, while they should judge the quality of the music. I know it is difficult, but I give you a sample (I checked).If a guy doen't like progressive synphonic and an album is progressive synphonic, they will get 2 or 1 stars. I would like to find a system where the judgmente that are made from people that (from the hystory) do not like the gentre, will be authomatically cancelled.If a person dislike RPI and aafter 5 rating he ha an avarage of 1,5 he cannot judge RPI anymore. Maybe extreme,,,but more fair than now....

Forget those silly ratings, and especially the rankings based upon them.  They are for forum entertainment and never-ending forum discussion fodder. Did Genesis do 2 of the top 5 prog albums ever. HAH.  Of course not. It would really be stretch to include 1 in the top 10 if one takes a long view of all teh great stuff from all over the world. It is a popularity contest, and very anglo-centric at that.

It is in the text of the reviews where the value of them is.  Find a reviewer whose style you like, whom you feel to be objective and doesn't play favorites, and roll with those.  They are out there.

Edited by micky - March 07 2015 at 07:22
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 07:07
Originally posted by Yayamimi Yayamimi wrote:

One simple solution ......one and 5 stars can be given only posting a review that clearly demonstrate they at least know what they judge.....

How do you prove that?
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 08:20
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Yayamimi Yayamimi wrote:

One simple solution ......one and 5 stars can be given only posting a review that clearly demonstrate they at least know what they judge.....

How do you prove that?
That's true, it's hard to convey a clearly demonstrated opinion on ones music tastes via the internet. Unless they have an extensive and in-depth review of what the music, how are you to know what they judge?
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 09:02
I think he was meaning to forbid 1 and 5 star rating-only's (without review).
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 19:54
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Gerinski! Heart That is a brilliant option really! And would stop a lot of the very silly ratings, considering that most albums/bands added on PA certainly deserve more than 1 star because it's not easy to be accepted on this site and 5 star ratings are given easily too Smile big hug to you! Hug
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 20:06
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Gerinski! Heart That is a brilliant option really! And would stop a lot of the very silly ratings, considering that most albums/bands added on PA certainly deserve more than 1 star because it's not easy to be accepted on this site and 5 star ratings are given easily too Smile big hug to you! Hug
Sorry Sonia, but if you think about the consequences of that all it does is skew the averages towards the centre because those people will now be distributing their rating-only between 2-star and 4-star ratings, or if they are really smart - give 2-star ratings to bands they don't like and nothing at all to those they do. The silly ratings would continue unabated. 

Also, we do not accept bands here based on whether they are good or not. The only criteria is they have to be Prog.
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 20:11
To be honest, we keep fooling ourselves that the 60's & 70's era were the best prog album releases and this might be due to the romanticized magical mystique of the wonderful unknown of that era, added with the costumes, funny noises and most memorable tunes, however we cannot say that new bands are any less, to be honest i.e. Opeth and their album Pale Communion is not rivaling any of that and is unique brilliant as his own too. Hug  
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 20:14
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Sorry Sonia, but if you think about the consequences of that all it does is skew the averages towards the centre because those people will now be distributing their rating-only between 2-star and 4-star ratings, or if they are really smart - give 2-star ratings to bands they don't like and nothing at all to those they do. The silly ratings would continue unabated. 

Also, we do not accept bands here based on whether they are good or not. The only criteria is they have to be Prog.
Dean, hello you fluffy cute grumpy HugBig smile
Yes true what you said but atleast they will have a little less effect on the ratings scores. Also why, unlike other sites does P.A. allow people to rate albums without signing in properly?
Big hug to you Hug
P.S. In that acceptance criteria, any true prog band is surely more deserving than a 1 star rating. Unhappy

Edited by Kati - April 15 2015 at 20:16
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 20:22

Hello Sonia, flattery will get you nowhere... 

Yes true what you said but atleast they will have a little less effect on the ratings scores. Also why, unlike other sites does P.A. allow people to rate albums without signing in properly?
I can't comment on that because I'm not M@X.

Big hug to you Hug
Thank you, hugs are welcome in moderation. Hug

What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 20:44
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Hello Sonia, flattery will get you nowhere... 

I can't comment on that because I'm not M@X.

Big hug to you Hug
Thank you, hugs are welcome in moderation. Hug

there is no so such thing as moderation unless you have a stalker (that's called creepy) WinkBig smileHug
M@X looks like Harvey Specter from SUITS aka hot, insightful and smart Approve I am sure if we arise this problem and come up with a better alternative he will be open to it http://www.proadviser.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/h06.jpg

Edited by Kati - April 15 2015 at 20:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>