Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMateria Mirage Piercing his Osorezan

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you have a preference?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [75.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Materia Mirage Piercing his Osorezan
    Posted: January 31 2012 at 13:51
Just though I'd stick these together for a poll.  If you don't know all, or any, of the tracks, here they are on youtube.

Area - "Mirage"

Doctor Nerve and the Sirius String Quartet - "The Thorn Piercing His Coat"

Geinoh Yamashirogumi - "Osorezan"

Igor Wakhevitch - "Materia Prima"

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 14:01
Great poll. I'm going to have a closer listen when I have the time, but as usual - I really like these types of "suggestions", because essentially that's what they are. Pushing people around here to have a listen to something out of the ordinary and maybe experience an altogether new sonic endeavor. And while it may only last one and a half pages - it's surely always worth it. At least you turn some of us onto something we haven't heard before. Geino Yamashirogumi and Doctor Nerve are completely new to me. 
So thank you!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 14:54
I know only two of them, Area and Geinoh Yamashirogumi (I have reviewed both). I think they are very different, hard to be compared. I will not vote, but as Gulbamsen says thanks for introducing the other two
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 14:58
Had only heard two of these before (Dr. Nerve and Area), really liking the other two.Think I'll go with Osorezan.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 15:11
Touching on all three posts in a mish-mashy way:

I'll probably vote for Osorezan too, though I could go with Wakhevitch's or Area's easily too (and of course I like the Doctor Nerve one very much too).   Geinoh Yamashirogumi's Osorezan is one of my favourite "prog" albums I have discovered using google keyword searches, and a favourite of those I've suggested for inclusion in PA (edit: I particularly like side A of the album, the Osorezan piece itself).

I really like GY's Yamatato Gensho (very different from Osorezan) and Symphonic Suite Akira (GY did the excellent soundtrack to Akira).  I also like the second album very much, but that has a very low rating at PA (it's not Prog, but appeals considerably to me, but then most of what I listen to is not Prog).  I have a live version of the second album which I like more than the studio album, though.

Though different,  I actually find similarities between that Area and GY track, and between the Wakhevitch and Doctor Nerve one (as well as some similarities between the Wakhevitch and Geinoh Yamashirogumi, and the Area and Doctor Nerve, and the Wakhevitch and Doctor Nerve), but I didn't really choose them looking for similar between these four tracks, but cause I like them very much -- for me these four do somehow work together well, though.  I actually find a lot of comparison points between these tracks, but it's interesting how people hear things differently (not that I think things must be similar to have a preference, of course).  I don't care about votes, so Octopus, after hearing the ones you don't know (if you can play the youtube clips), vote if you have a preference (even a very slight one, or on a whim), but if you don't that's fine.  I commonly have done polls in PA over the years to introduce people to music I care about and to hear impressions by people of the music (good or bad).

And no, I can't expect many responses for most of my polls, but that's okay with me.  They've helped me to connect with various people over the years in a meaningful way, as has participating in other's polls, and that's been really important to me, and they have helped me to discover more music as people have become attuned to my tastes and made recommendations to me.

Edited by Logan - January 31 2012 at 15:43
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 16:38
Damn, I've heard more of these than I realized!

Only don't know the third...will isten when I get the chance. Of the others, I'd say Igor...maybe. Idk...close call. I quite enjoy that DN track as well (as well as that whole 'suite' on ereia).  
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 17:08
Wow!!! Let me just say that again Wrooof. Okay that didn't go down as well, but that track from Geinoh Yamashirogumi just completely blew me away. Man what a track! I voted for it, even if I love all the other tracks here too. Had a listen to Doctor Nerve and he's certainly also pretty interesting.

But that track - talk about a narrative without words. I had all these terrifying images of Hiroshima or maybe samurai slaughterings flashing before my eyes - pretty gruesome yet strangely beautiful.
Reminds me a bit of this one, which in my opinion is Krautrock performed with a symphony orchestra - trying to express the horrors connected to the atomic bomb:

On another note: Hey Greg do you know of Edward Vesala? This guy is awesome and it wouldn't surprise me if his brand of music was right up your alley. I have his Nan Madol from 1974 and it is quite simply stunning. I haven't been able to find anything on the tube from that album, but I'm just giving you a shout out here(you probably already know it...). The music is a somewhat fresh take on freejazz n' fusion, whilst still sounding incredibly ethereal. Highly recommended.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 17:37
Penderecki's "Threnody..." is one of the most powerful pieces of music I know.

Edward Vesala's name rings a bell, but I don't know if I've heard anything of his.  I will definitely look into getting Nan Madol.  Thanks!

Edited by Logan - January 31 2012 at 17:37
 Post Reply Post Reply