Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJethro Tull to release "Thick as a brick 2"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2012 at 12:39
Fascinating.  Ian Anderson has voiced a certain amount of contempt for progressive rock for the last two decades, and the last time he recorded anything like progressive rock was 1982.

Still, the video contains some promising snatches of music.  It looks like I'm set to pay attention to Jethro Tull again.
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2012 at 16:46
Originally posted by The Hemulen The Hemulen wrote:

Teaser, including snippets from the album:

Sounds... like... Tull. Classic Tull. Cynicism... depleting. Could... could this actually be a good album? Shocked

Oh no, in the snippets he is singing. Can't he just let the music do the talking? 

Still reckon these are just a bunch of songs recorded over the last decade with his Ian Anderson solo group I.e. with Florian as lead guitarist. Martin Barre would not have been around as he lives in Canada.

Derek Schulman says "Hey Ian do you have any songs for a Prog album?" Anderson says  "yes"...... Maybe we can string them all together ....."oh it's 40 years since TAAB.....let's call it TAAB2" Little work required as the majority of this was probably in the can ages ago.

Maybe I'm wrong. But at least one of those titles put forward that is on the new album has been in the live set for a few years now.
Ludjak View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 05:02
Three tracks are older, he claims to have written the rest around February 2011 (I do remember an interview last year about "finishing the scoring of an entire album in Sibelius, but not starting recording until October"). There were some more snippets played during a radio interview a couple of days ago. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by Anderson's singing, though. What I mind the most about these snippets is the drumming. It's even more robotic than Doane Perry's.

I do kind of admire the risk Ian Anderson is taking here, out of all things he could have done this is the least safe. With this "TaaB2" he could either regain or completely lose his credibility.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 05:18
Originally posted by Ludjak Ludjak wrote:

Three tracks are older, he claims to have written the rest around February 2011 (I do remember an interview last year about "finishing the scoring of an entire album in Sibelius, but not starting recording until October"). There were some more snippets played during a radio interview a couple of days ago. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by Anderson's singing, though. What I mind the most about these snippets is the drumming. It's even more robotic than Doane Perry's.

I do kind of admire the risk Ian Anderson is taking here, out of all things he could have done this is the least safe. With this "TaaB2" he could either regain or completely lose his credibility.

The drummer is James Duncan (Anderson) i.e. Ian's son. Yes doesn't look to complex but we shoulnt come to a conclusion from one small snippet. Doane Perry is a brilliant drummer BTW...I wish I had as much talent as he has in his little finger.......his left little finger AND just the end bit of the left little finger.
Ludjak View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 06:13
By no means do I belittle Doane Perry's drumming, he's a top professional, and I love his work on "Catfish Rising" and "Roots to Branches", I just have a soft spot for "busy" and "over the top" drumming styles. Wink

From what I've read, the new drummer isn't James Duncan, but Scott Hammond. ^^ Keeping track of the Anderson band members is difficult for me. :-p
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 13:55
I agree about Anderson's egotism. I remember JT doing an acoustic concert and him stopping in the middle of a songs because some people were occassionally coughing. Uh - these are normal body responses that happens in all concerts and musicians just normally put up with so long as not contnually coughing.

Anyways, too often part 2 of anything is very very poor in quality to part 1. Sounds like IA is trying to capitalize on a good selling past recording.
SirJethro View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 06:37
Anderson asks himself Questions about the album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSuI-_Xj3Bg
Give me all the Forests, give me all the Trees give me everything as long is it for free
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 07:30
Originally posted by SirJethro SirJethro wrote:

Anderson asks himself Questions about the album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSuI-_Xj3Bg

It's official - Ian's lost it.
Bigger on the inside.
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2012 at 08:06
Ian interviews himself!

''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 10:38
@Hemulen: Thanks for the clip!

After listening to coworkers/the wife/the radio all talk about Madona during Super Bowl half-time, I am now on my knees
shouting to the almighty above in thanks that there are still people like Ian Anderson doing his sort of thing.

As has been pointed out, sequels are almost never as good, Wakeman sure failed with Journey II & White Rock II, but
I for one will have a go at this attempt by Ian.  Yes, Martin Barre seems absent, but Ian has been the one to write almost all lyrics & melodies, and yeah, change happens.  If the record is good, I am sure I won't miss Martin.  People talk about there always being a YES, but then they freak out when the change that is needed for that happens.  Do we wait until all  a band's members are dead before new artists can carry on their music???  Naw, I'll put faith in Ian that he will surround himself with great musicians on the new Tull record.  Or you can always buy Madonna's latest!  Wacko

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 10:44
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

I've heard Genesis is regrouping for "The Lamb, Now A Sheep, Finally Gets Up On Broadway"

Then we'll just have to wait for Pink Floyd, regrouping for Atom Heart Grandmother.

Or, following the revolutions...

In The Parliament House Of The Crimson President

...sorry, best I could come up with at the moment...

Cynic that I am considering its release date, it's a bloody good joke if they've gone so far as to put it up on Amazon already

This title will be released on April 2, 2012.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 10:56
Originally posted by freyacat freyacat wrote:

Fascinating.  Ian Anderson has voiced a certain amount of contempt for progressive rock for the last two decades, and the last time he recorded anything like progressive rock was 1982.

Still, the video contains some promising snatches of music.  It looks like I'm set to pay attention to Jethro Tull again.

He may protest and make theater as  much as he can, but he's a Progger who IMO tried to keep a distance from an unpopular genre.

If he ever was successful, was when he made Prog albums. All his other formulas ave failed, so he has to come back to Prog....But he never will admit it.

Iván

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 11:19
So long as he doesn't release Under Wraps 2

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
SirJethro View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 06:54
Steven Wilson about the Album:

Another recent surprise is the news that you’ve mixed Ian Anderson’s Thick as a Brick 2, the sequel to the famous Jethro Tull album. Describe your interest in participating in that project.

It was a natural development after having mixed the original Thick as a Brick album into surround, as well as doing a new stereo mix. While we were working on that for EMI, Ian said to me “I’ve written Thick as a Brick 2.” I said “That’s interesting.” He told me about this very interesting concept of what would have happened to Gerald Bostock, the eight-year-old kid that supposedly wrote the lyrics, originally. He said it looks at what path his life would have taken. It sounded like a really interesting concept. But I’ll be perfectly honest, part of me also was very skeptical that he could pull it off. There’s always a danger in doing a sequel and it doesn’t just apply to music but to movies and books—it can never live up to the expectation if the original is an established classic, as Thick as a Brick is. I talked with Ian about it and said “If you’re going to do it, you have to do it with the original musical palette. You have to go back and use acoustic guitar, flutes, harpsichords, glockenspiels, and all the things that made the original special. You have to keep it a very organic record and almost go back to the spirit of 1972.” He seemed totally onboard with that and the record is good. I’m not going to say it’s as good as the original, but it’s a very strong piece of work and a credible attempt by one of the legends of ‘70s progressive music to recapture the zeitgeist and feeling of their greatest work.

We’re living in a time when a lot of bands are looking around and seeing that the climate has changed so much over the last 20 years. Many feel the right thing to do is perhaps go back and revisit what made their reputation. Yes famously did a return to that last year. For 20-30 years, classic progressive music was incredibly unpopular and unfashionable. I was talking to Steve Hackett about this. He feels for the first time that people actually appreciate the work he did in the ‘70s. He feels it’s only in the last three or four years that he’s begun to feel people value that work as his greatest achievement. For 30 years, he was told it was sh*t, that he was a dinosaur, and that the music was worthless and no-one was ever going to want to listen to that hippie stuff again. I cannot underestimate how these guys were brainwashed. Robert Fripp and Ian Anderson feel the same. They were brainwashed by the media into thinking everything they did in the ‘70s was worthless junk. It’s almost like abused child syndrome. It took a great amount of reassurance for them to begin to believe that people love that stuff and that it’s the work that their reputation will ultimately rest on.

I experienced that with Robert when we worked on the remix of King Crimson’s Lizard. He said “Why do you want to do this Steven? No-one likes the record. Everyone hates it, including me.” I said “I’m going to change people’s minds.” I’m so proud to say that happened. One of the greatest moments of my life is when that album was reissued and received astonishing reviews. David Fricke in Rolling Stone said “Lizard is revealed to be the greatest King Crimson album of all.” Mojo gave it five out of five stars. Robert was astonished. And I was vindicated because I really believed all those records that had been ignored and sidelined for years, mainly by the media, but also by fans, were really coming of age. In a sense, they were so far ahead of their time, and now is their time. They sound extraordinary. This is really key for me.

Going back to Thick as a Brick 2, now is the time for Ian to go back and do this project. He never would have considered this in a million years even five years ago, and that goes to show you how the mood and climate has changed towards this music. So, finally people like Ian, Robert and Steve feel “You know what? People do really love that work. They really appreciate it. That was my best work and my most creative period. I can still do that music and people still want to hear it.” There’s now an incredible sense of enthusiasm with regards to Thick as a Brick 2. People have told me they haven’t seen Ian this enthusiastic about a new record for a very, very long time.

source

http://www.innerviews.org/inner/wilson.html
Give me all the Forests, give me all the Trees give me everything as long is it for free
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 07:54
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

He may protest and make theater as  much as he can, but he's a Progger who IMO tried to keep a distance from an unpopular genre.

If he ever was successful, was when he made Prog albums. All his other formulas ave failed, so he has to come back to Prog....But he never will admit it.

Iván

Clap
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 19:17
Originally posted by SirJethro SirJethro wrote:

Steven Wilson about the Album:<span style="font-style: italic">Another recent surprise is the news
that you’ve mixed Ian Anderson’s Thick as a Brick 2, the sequel to the
famous Jethro Tull album. Describe your interest in participating in
that project.</span>It was a natural development after having
mixed the original Thick as a Brick album into surround, as well as
doing a new stereo mix. While we were working on that for EMI, Ian said
to me “I’ve written Thick as a Brick 2.” I said “That’s interesting.” He
told me about this very interesting concept of what would have happened
to Gerald Bostock, the eight-year-old kid that supposedly wrote the
lyrics, originally. He said it looks at what path his life would have
taken. It sounded like a really interesting concept. But I’ll be
perfectly honest, part of me also was very skeptical that he could pull
it off. There’s always a danger in doing a sequel and it doesn’t just
apply to music but to movies and books—it can never live up to the
expectation if the original is an established classic, as Thick as a
Brick is. <span style="font-weight: bold">I talked with Ian about it and
said “If you’re going to do it, you have to do it with the original
musical palette. You have to go back and use acoustic guitar, flutes,
harpsichords, glockenspiels, and all the things that made the original
special. You have to keep it a very organic record and almost go back to
the spirit of 1972.” He seemed totally onboard with that and the record
is good. </span>I’m not going to say it’s as good as the original, but
it’s a very strong piece of work and a credible attempt by one of the
legends of ‘70s progressive music to recapture the zeitgeist and feeling
of their greatest work.We’re living in a time when a lot of
bands are looking around and seeing that the climate has changed so much
over the last 20 years. Many feel the right thing to do is perhaps go
back and revisit what made their reputation. Yes famously did a return
to that last year. For 20-30 years, classic progressive music was
incredibly unpopular and unfashionable. I was talking to Steve Hackett
about this. He feels for the first time that people actually appreciate
the work he did in the ‘70s. He feels it’s only in the last three or
four years that he’s begun to feel people value that work as his
greatest achievement. For 30 years, he was told it was sh*t, that he was
a dinosaur, and that the music was worthless and no-one was ever going
to want to listen to that hippie stuff again. I cannot underestimate how
these guys were brainwashed. Robert Fripp and Ian Anderson feel the
same. They were brainwashed by the media into thinking everything they
did in the ‘70s was worthless junk. It’s almost like abused child
syndrome. It took a great amount of reassurance for them to begin to
believe that people love that stuff and that it’s the work that their
reputation will ultimately rest on.I experienced that with
Robert when we worked on the remix of King Crimson’s Lizard. He said
“Why do you want to do this Steven? No-one likes the record. Everyone
hates it, including me.” I said “I’m going to change people’s minds.”
I’m so proud to say that happened. One of the greatest moments of my
life is when that album was reissued and received astonishing reviews.
David Fricke in Rolling Stone said “Lizard is revealed to be the
greatest King Crimson album of all.” Mojo gave it five out of five
stars. Robert was astonished. And I was vindicated because I really
believed all those records that had been ignored and sidelined for
years, mainly by the media, but also by fans, were really coming of age.
In a sense, they were so far ahead of their time, and now is their
time. They sound extraordinary. This is really key for me.Going
back to Thick as a Brick 2, now is the time for Ian to go back and do
this project. He never would have considered this in a million years
even five years ago, and that goes to show you how the mood and climate
has changed towards this music. So, finally people like Ian, Robert and
Steve feel “You know what? People do really love that work. They really
appreciate it. That was my best work and my most creative period. I can
still do that music and people still want to hear it.” <span style="font-weight: bold">There’s
now an incredible sense of enthusiasm with regards to Thick as a Brick
2. People have told me they haven’t seen Ian this enthusiastic about a
new record for a very, very long time</span>.sourcehttp://www.innerviews.org/inner/wilson.html

Very cool statements from Mr Wilson. I hope he is right on everything... I have the feeling he is.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 21:44

Perhaps you are forgetting about the "Creast of a Knave" album? - not a real heavy metal album, but a prog album indeed, and quite a decent one in the 80s. 
Meddle71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 23:53
I'm actually quite excited for this, even though that may be a mistake. I really like Thick as a Brick, but I don't listen to it all too often, so if this does turn out to be very similar to the original, I'll probably just treat them both as a double album! It would be way harder to do that if you'd been listening to TAAB fairly regularly for 40 years though.
And everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon
TealFoxes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 08:02
I don't want to die from a blood clot in my brain, so I'd like to sum this up simple and calmly...

1. A Passion Play was not dense.
2. John Evan, Martin Barre, Barriemore Barlow, and Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond don't deserve to be insulted so.
3. Steven Wilson brown nosed his way to fame throughout his entire music career.
PabstRibbon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 08:57
Can someone change the title to Ian Anderson to release TAAB 2 instead of Jethro Tull since it's not a Tull album ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>