Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monthly LastFM top 10 lists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 23:04
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2016 at 09:30
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 05:33
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2016 at 06:58
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bloodnarfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2016 at 13:28
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2016 at 20:21
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2016 at 06:09
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2016 at 08:10
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 15:22
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 23:20
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 00:04
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 17:23
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 04:57
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 01:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 08:16
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 08:50
That is a lot of Peter Hammill.  His voice hasn't really grown on me yet.  Are you a fan of Discipline?  Matthew Parmenter has a similar voice to Peter Hammill.  Interestingly enough, somebody pointed out to me that Judas Priest's Rob Halford sings somewhat like Peter Hammill, and he is one of my favorites.  After that seed was planted, I did kind of notice some similarities. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 19:14
^ I, honestly, haven't heard a note of Discipline's music, but I'll look into it when time allows, although I'm trying to internalize the ideas of solo artists who are mostly about songwriting. Now, the only thing in common that I can find between Rob and Peter is screaming and singing with a coarse voice. It's about the attitude in the delivery. 

I listen to Peter for many reasons: 

1) Singers-songwriters with great vocal presence/delivery and fresh ideas are hard to find. As luck would have it, Peter is one of them. 

2) I don't even like more than half of what the guy had done, but I do respect him for the fact that he has a unique attitude. That puts him on his own plane. I like it when solo artists and bands are not afraid of standing out. 

3) He could concede with more accessible material, but on his own terms, with his own style. That's why I think Over is his best album, with Nadir ... not too far behind. Both are very consistent efforts. Whoever said he can't write melodies. 

4) That guy can really relax and really shriek, and he picks the right words/letters/sounds for the moments when he needs to relax or shriek. 

5) As someone who is still learning to write songs, vocal presence is important to me. My singing voice, which I have to learn to use as an instrument in ballads (freaking difficult), is something of a weak middle between Peter and Bert Jansch (though I don't feel like covering "Blackwaterside" in public). Peter can hold his breath for long enough time and he can write tuneful things (again, back to point (3) with Over and Nadir ... ), so I have things to learn from him ... and from Julia Holter (though she's a female artist), but that's another story. 

6) Running helps alleviate stress and improve focus. I can't remember where I heard that (an episode in the last season of Burn Notice). Whenever I have to run, I better listen to something aggro. Peter or all of the Vandies will do. As a matter of fact, I'm planning on going out for a run right now with "The Sleepwalkers" (long enough for one lap around the local mall), even though I still don't really like that track much. But that aggression element is there. 

7) I'm still single, I've always been single, and so even though I'll never fully understand what Peter was going through after all his failed relationships, he never was afraid to show his feelings, and I like the fact that he can put all his sincerity, the thoughts and emotions, in song form. 

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 01 2016 at 19:17
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 11:43
In that case, you might want to checkout Matthew Parmenter's solo albums.  He is Discipline's singer and he has put out 3 solo albums of the singer-songwriter variety.  You might prefer those over Discipline.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 13:31
Great. I hope it'll work for my slow ears. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 17:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>