Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 11:48
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Awesome!! Finally........

The music is recorded in classic 70's style, with all musicians performing live in a room thru 70's vintage tube recording equipment

nice....I will be looking for the vinyl edition.

Vinyl - Shymnyl....

How bout 5.1 @192KHZ like the actual recording of the record?  Is that so wrong???

Tongue

I am not anti-vinyl however....Wink  but I do have the 5.1 Hi-rez remixes of RUSH: Signals, Farewell to Kings & Fly by Night
and that is about as good as life gets as far as a musical trip!

I lie awake at nights waiting for a 5.1 hirez remix of Hemispheres & 2112!!!!!!   Smile   Big smile    LOL   Tongue
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 11:56
Well, for Roine, the reason is money.  He doesn't have enough of it to do 5.1 mixes, because the demand would be pretty low.  Personally, I know several people that would love the 5.1, but out of all the flower kings fans I know, they are a fairly small minority.  Flower Kings fans themselves, are also a small minority, compared to say Porcupine Tree fans.

I've heard some 5.1 stuff on other peoples equipment (I have no 5.1 setup), and it was cool, but frankly I prefer stereo.  Just the way I'm used to hearing music I guess Smile
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 12:55
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Well, for Roine, the reason is money.  He doesn't have enough of it to do 5.1 mixes, because the demand would be pretty low.  Personally, I know several people that would love the 5.1, but out of all the flower kings fans I know, they are a fairly small minority.  Flower Kings fans themselves, are also a small minority, compared to say Porcupine Tree fans.

I've heard some 5.1 stuff on other peoples equipment (I have no 5.1 setup), and it was cool, but frankly I prefer stereo.  Just the way I'm used to hearing music I guess Smile

Yes, I know that Roine finances his own stuff.  That is too bad.  TFK need 5.1 more than any band I can think of as TFK pack in so many instruments and tracks into their music. 2.0 simply does not provide enough "headspace".

I am not a 5.1 snob and I am certainly not rich, but I did fight to budget for an ok 5.1 system the results were beyond belief good. As good an improvement over stereo than stereo was from mono.  But the key is to have stuff re-mixed in 5.1.  2.0 upmixing to 5.1 done via amateur enthusiasts or stereo receiver automation is pretty much useless.

Stuff I have in 5.1 that puts to shame the original stero mix:

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery - 5.1 mix DVD-Audio.  You wanna see God?  Get this.
Porcupine Tree - In Abstentia. It opens up PT like they are a whole new band
Elton John - Captain Fantastic - May be one of the greatest 5.1 mixes ever.  5.1 redefines this masterpiece recording and lets all the many recorded instruments actaully breath
Pink Floyd - Dark Side & Wish You Were Here - You wanna see God again?  Ok check these two out
RUSH - Farewell To Kings - Another revelation.  5.1 puts stereo to shame.
Nektar - Remember The Future - Again the music opens up to a whole new level, must be heard to be appreciated.
Jethro Tull - Aqualung.  new 5.1 mix elevates this recording to the true masterpiece is always was but was held back
by stereo and the low fidelity of 1971.  What Steven Wilson & technology did here is a true miracle.
oh...
YES - Fragile.  Simply must be heard in 5.1 SACD or the DVD-Audio is was released in.

All the great prog needs to be remixed into 5.1.  Virtually all prog has so many tracks & instruments, the standard
stereo field does not provide sonic space for it all.  Engineers must use a lot of compression and other tricks to squeeze it all in.Angry
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 12:46
Well, I'll take your word for it dennis.  I'm not against 5.1, of course, and probably if the Flower Kings did release 5.1 stuff that would force me to get a 5.1 system Smile
Progdaybay View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 10:18
After five years of absence progressive cult rockband "The Flower Kings" will release their new studio album on the 18th of June.
The new sound carrier is called "Banks Of Eden".

[taken from their site http://www.flowerkings.se/.
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 11:34
I'm troubled by the announcement that the Flower Kings are "mixing it up" with "darker metal passages" on this album.  To me, that's always where the Flower Kings go wrong.  The darkness and aggression of metal are a tired cliche of modern music.  I have always looked to the Flower Kings to transcend the adolescent male ego and search for truth and beauty in their music.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge metal fan, but when it comes to progressive rock, I just think that the weakest moments of the genre are when the artists pose as metal wanna-be's.  More progressive power comes out of a mellotron than a distorted guitar.
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 13:43
I'm happy for more TFK albums.......A show in Seattle would make me more happier!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 13:46
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Yes, I know that Roine finances his own stuff.  That is too bad.  TFK need 5.1 more than any band I can think of as TFK pack in so many instruments and tracks into their music. 2.0 simply does not provide enough "headspace".

I am not a 5.1 snob and I am certainly not rich, but I did fight to budget for an ok 5.1 system the results were beyond belief good. As good an improvement over stereo than stereo was from mono.  But the key is to have stuff re-mixed in 5.1.  2.0 upmixing to 5.1 done via amateur enthusiasts or stereo receiver automation is pretty much useless.

Stuff I have in 5.1 that puts to shame the original stero mix:

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery - 5.1 mix DVD-Audio.  You wanna see God?  Get this.
Porcupine Tree - In Abstentia. It opens up PT like they are a whole new band
Elton John - Captain Fantastic - May be one of the greatest 5.1 mixes ever.  5.1 redefines this masterpiece recording and lets all the many recorded instruments actaully breath
Pink Floyd - Dark Side & Wish You Were Here - You wanna see God again?  Ok check these two out
RUSH - Farewell To Kings - Another revelation.  5.1 puts stereo to shame.
Nektar - Remember The Future - Again the music opens up to a whole new level, must be heard to be appreciated.
Jethro Tull - Aqualung.  new 5.1 mix elevates this recording to the true masterpiece is always was but was held back
by stereo and the low fidelity of 1971.  What Steven Wilson & technology did here is a true miracle.
oh...
YES - Fragile.  Simply must be heard in 5.1 SACD or the DVD-Audio is was released in.

All the great prog needs to be remixed into 5.1.  Virtually all prog has so many tracks & instruments, the standard
stereo field does not provide sonic space for it all.  Engineers must use a lot of compression and other tricks to squeeze it all in.Angry

I'm all fine with 5.1 releases.......I don't have a setup for that, nor do I care to have one... 2.0 is perfect for me and my 2 ears. I prefer vinyl, especially if they do the analog track recording, but CD will do also....

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 14:08
Good to hear some updates! June is going to be a good month for me, new Guided By Voices & Flower Kings. Shocked
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 15:00
I'm excited to hear how it will sound, it seems the band is trying a few new things on Banks of Eden. I'm also really excited to hear this new drummer, he sounded awesome of the couple of Youtube videos I saw.
shanocles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 05:25
hey just pre-ordered the new flowerkings album. samples sound great - gotta love symph prog.
get it at...

http://www.flowerkings.se/merchandise.php

if left is wrong i don't wanna be right...
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 06:33
I like the samples.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 07:06
Very excited for this, and even better...

A VINYL RELEASE!!

Long overdue, fellas, very appreciated!

I still have that beautiful `World Of Adventures' picture disc from many years back! Now it will have some company!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123