Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:10
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

Fripp & friends are always interesting; but only the first album has relevance for me.

BINGO and thank you. The only issue is that too many people are not sure what the relevance is and how it relates to the time and place, and what a magic anthem it was for the time and place.

I can't really blame people for that though, when today's music is often way too insipid and trying to make itself relevant simply by using a quote of Jesus or someone else. Which is sad, because the man himself never quoted anyone else ... but only himself ... and here we are ... quoting someone outside of ourselves as an excuse for supposedly believing something that we do not understand and still question!

Relevance is not an idea! It's a reality!

Forgive me (for I have sinnedTongue), but what, precisely, is the relevance of Jesus in a discussion thread about King Crimson?

I think that the messiah in this scenario is played by Robert Fripp. I could easily be totally wrong though

Is it time for a "he's not the Messiah".......joke?LOL

Seriously, I have an easier time making sense of the reports from the Hadron Collider than deciphering some of these posts.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 13:20
No, Fripp is certainly the Messiah of prog rock.  Wink
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 13:55
No ...i'm the messiah!!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 13:56
You're not the Messiah. you're just a very naught y boy!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 19:37
I thought Fripp was the dinosaur.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2012 at 02:31
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Somebody has digged out his bones.

Edited by ole-the-first - February 25 2012 at 06:30
ProggyLady View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 14:13
Cool cover of Matte Kudasai, great animation as well:

NickHall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 15:49
only crimson king means anything tho none are bad as such
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 16:03
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Somebody has digged out his bones.

I probably enjoy that song a little bit more than it deserves. 

Nice avatar, btw. Thumbs Up
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
PolarWolf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 07:07
I finally received my Starless & Bible Black 40th Anniversary box and it is very impressive already in the first few listens (well, I knew Great Deceiver and Fracture beforehand).
I don't usually listen improvisational music much but the mood created in e.g. Trio and the title song is amazing. And it's exciting that Fripp didn't tell at the time of release that many of the tracks were recorded live. Also the Night Watch is beautiful. The intro especially is the most magical moment on the album.

So, this is the fourth KC album I have (others are the debut, Red & THRAK) and it seems I'm fast becoming a King Crimson fan. There's something magical in their music. Except their 80's material maybe, because so far the songs I've heard from that time have left me cold. 
Lark's Tongues is probably the next in line. Poseidon is said to be a remake of the debut but I guess I'll have to find out myself.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 08:56
I have to say I'm a bit jealous of you guys who get into classic prog well after the initial event.  Great box sets if you can cough up the cash.  On the other hand many of us got to see the acts live.  And then again there is all this old concert stuff now available on DVD that surprises me.  So anyway, enjoy your KC exploration.  I like the '80's stuff though.  I can understand how it might leave you cold.  You really have to follow what Fripp was doing post Red.  He was exploring many avenues before he decided to reconstitute the band.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:08
Is it true that  the whole Starless and Bible Black album (except for "The Great Deceiver" and "Lament" and maybe "The Mincer"?) was edited from that one concert now released on CD as "The Night Watch"?
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:24
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Is it true that  the whole Starless and Bible Black album (except for "The Great Deceiver" and "Lament" and maybe "The Mincer"?) was edited from that one concert now released on CD as "The Night Watch"?

No rumor, it's in the liner notes of Nightwatch.  Although there is some stuff there that isn't in the live show released on CD and vice versa.  Fripp basically says that he likes to try stuff out live first and so Starless was derived from live recordings with the audience edited out.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 20 2012 at 09:27
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 09:58
Originally posted by PolarWolf PolarWolf wrote:

I finally received my Starless & Bible Black 40th Anniversary box and it is very impressive already in the first few listens (well, I knew Great Deceiver and Fracture beforehand).
I don't usually listen improvisational music much but the mood created in e.g. Trio and the title song is amazing. And it's exciting that Fripp didn't tell at the time of release that many of the tracks were recorded live. Also the Night Watch is beautiful. The intro especially is the most magical moment on the album.

So, this is the fourth KC album I have (others are the debut, Red & THRAK) and it seems I'm fast becoming a King Crimson fan. There's something magical in their music. Except their 80's material maybe, because so far the songs I've heard from that time have left me cold. 
Lark's Tongues is probably the next in line. Poseidon is said to be a remake of the debut but I guess I'll have to find out myself.

I suggest collecting everything from the 70s that you can get your hands on, but skip those remixes!! SW and RF cut a lot of stuff out of the 40th anniversary sets (mostly "Lizard") and ruined a lot of the dynamics of the original! I'm a big fan of "Poseidon" ... I don't get why everyone hates it.
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:10
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

You really have to follow what Fripp was doing post Red.  He was exploring many avenues before he decided to reconstitute the band.
I think your right, those that comes from "new" music moving backwards into prog, may find early 80's very strange and even bad, but that was not the way it felt back then, everything was brand new.
Exposure, The League of G, reformation of KC, Eno/byrne, Remain in Light, Gabriel IV.
It all felt natural at the time, exploring new tech. possibilities, mixing more "world" into the tracks, ect. ect.

(the boring stuff was Genesis Yes Floyd, because they didnt evolve, they just added more mainstream into the music)

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
spknoevl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:21
Fripp has never been content to rest on his laurels and has constantly reinvented himself and KC.  That, in my opinion, is a good thing.  Too many great prog bands from the 70s either dumbed themselves down to achieve commercial success or simply continued to regurgitate the same music for decades.  Wasn't the whole reason most of us were initially attracted to prog rock was because it was different?  While I love certain periods of many bands, I certainly don't want them to stand still and the ones that still hold my interest are the ones that continue to evolve, but in a good way.
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:41
Originally posted by spknoevl spknoevl wrote:

Fripp has never been content to rest on his laurels and has constantly reinvented himself and KC.  That, in my opinion, is a good thing.  Too many great prog bands from the 70s either dumbed themselves down to achieve commercial success or simply continued to regurgitate the same music for decades.  Wasn't the whole reason most of us were initially attracted to prog rock was because it was different?  While I love certain periods of many bands, I certainly don't want them to stand still and the ones that still hold my interest are the ones that continue to evolve, but in a good way.

Spot on dude!!!
Speaking as someone who hopped on the prog bandwagon in the late '70's, that is precisely my impression.  While you may not like the results he, uh, regurgitated in proper fashion.  Which is to say, he incorporated elements from the past, and did it well.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 20 2012 at 10:42

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:52
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Been a fan of KC for years - I do find some of their later albums a little challenging at times, but they tend to reward persistence; the Discipline/Beat/Three Of A Perfect Pair albums are by far some of my favorite progressive albums from the 1980s, but the 1970's output I find difficult to fault at all.

Great, if unpredictable, live band to see, too.

In my humble opinion, I think Robert Fripp is the epitomy of progressive rock; been going over 40 years & has always pushed the boundaries, never stagnated, always moved on. Everything featuring Fripp under the KC name doesn't even scratch the surface though - what of the numerous side projects, solo albums, guest appearances, collaborations...

And still he got time to marry Toyah...

But to finish, though...

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

meh

And the award for Pointless Post Of The Year goes to...

Well Fripp's work with Crimson is certainly scratching the surface. Anybody from the mid-16th century remember this one off :

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 10:59
Oh yes, that also came up in this tread, just last night. 
LGBT in Progressive Rock

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 11:18
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Well Fripp's work with Crimson is certainly scratching the surface. Anybody from the mid-16th century remember this one off :

If you enjoyed that you really need to get the live album:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>