Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 11:46
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

Interesting point of view. I think it's a masterpiece because I really enjoy every track on it. I must say that I need concentration to appreciate Moonchild's ending though. I still find it enjoyable most of the time.

Why just the ending? Besides, when does the ending start LOL ? I think every single track really shines, except for guess what? (see track no. 4.) Right now I'm not very fond of the album, as the case usually is with any other album I've heard a long time ago.

We actually did have a thread on which KC line-up is the best, and I went with F-B-W-C. They placed more emphasis on improvs and most of the time they sounded really tight. I dare say that Fripp has never been on the guitar as good as he has back in '72-'74. Fripp is the "ROCK" in "prog ROCK", as I once said before. All of the guys of that line-up are outstanding musicians.  

Personal favorites: I like all of their studio albums '69-'81 ... except that butcher In the Wake of the Poseidon (sounds like a dismal rip-off of the original). SABB? Smile All-time favorite Smile .

On a sidenote: let's petition KC for the Rock-n'-Roll Hall of Fame Smile . I will be presenting them, of course Big smile . I even got the speech ready Big smile .

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 20 2012 at 13:19
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 15:22
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Well Fripp's work with Crimson is certainly scratching the surface. Anybody from the mid-16th century remember this one off :

If you enjoyed that you really need to get the live album:

Wow! Didn't  even know this existed. They only played 77 shows. Will have to try to dig it up. When did Fripp decide that the planet needed a live League Of Gentlemen album?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2012 at 15:47
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Wow! Didn't  even know this existed. They only played 77 shows. Will have to try to dig it up. When did Fripp decide that the planet needed a live League Of Gentlemen album?
[/QUOTE]
The live album seriously kicks ass.  If you like the studio album you seriously need this one. Big smile

Thank me now and send money. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 20 2012 at 15:47
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

theadolescentprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 13:31
If I never heard The Beatles, King Crimson would be my favourite band without a shadow of a doubt. They've never made a bad album & they've never had a bad musician in their line-up. Plus Robert Fripp is a legend.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 18:31
Song without Fripp or anyone : Bill Bruford Drum Solo - Frankfurt 1987 

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 21:08
Oh, they are just the best thing to ever happen to humanity... 
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
gariac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 00:29
Last week Discipline was my favorite, yesterday "Red" and I'm listening Thrack wich is their best album... I'm affraid of tomorrow...
Anyway, I'm living with King Crimson for decades and it's because of them if today I'm musician...
For two days I've got my "I talk to the wind"' version... It's something different and I hope funny...
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 16:38
KC WAS a fantastic band - for one album. Then they broke up, but anything Fripp does is still interesting, if not up to the level of that wonderful debut.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 19:23
Originally posted by gariac gariac wrote:

Last week Discipline was my favorite, yesterday "Red" and I'm listening Thrack wich is their best album... I'm affraid of tomorrow...
Anyway, I'm living with King Crimson for decades and it's because of them if today I'm musician...
For two days I've got my "I talk to the wind"' version... It's something different and I hope funny...

i find construction of light to be better than Thrak...i know that's not the popular opinion.  Power to Believe is a masterpiece.
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 09:43
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

Interesting point of view. I think it's a masterpiece because I really enjoy every track on it. I must say that I need concentration to appreciate Moonchild's ending though. I still find it enjoyable most of the time.

Why just the ending? Besides, when does the ending start LOL ? I think every single track really shines, except for guess what? (see track no. 4.) Right now I'm not very fond of the album, as the case usually is with any other album I've heard a long time ago.

We actually did have a thread on which KC line-up is the best, and I went with F-B-W-C. They placed more emphasis on improvs and most of the time they sounded really tight. I dare say that Fripp has never been on the guitar as good as he has back in '72-'74. Fripp is the "ROCK" in "prog ROCK", as I once said before. All of the guys of that line-up are outstanding musicians.  

Personal favorites: I like all of their studio albums '69-'81 ... except that butcher In the Wake of the Poseidon (sounds like a dismal rip-off of the original). SABB? Smile All-time favorite Smile .

On a sidenote: let's petition KC for the Rock-n'-Roll Hall of Fame Smile . I will be presenting them, of course Big smile . I even got the speech ready Big smile .

Well I must say that I really like Moonchild but I hate the pseudo-free improvisation that follows the beginning of the song. I'm a free-jazz amateur and I like improvisation but this one, to me, really sucks. I prefer Providence on Red wich is one of my favorite KC album ever.

I hope they will be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because they were so influent to rock music that it's a crime not to put them into it.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
SigmundFloyd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 22:56
One of the most important, and best prog-bands! I love King Crimson! They helped to shape the genre along with Pink Floyd and the like.
“Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. ”
― George Orwell
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 23:13
After hearing their song Level Five, i picked up The Power To Believe at a local record shop. I'll be giving it a nice listen very soon. 

Not a fan of the artwork though. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 23:51
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

After hearing their song Level Five, i picked up The Power To Believe at a local record shop. I'll be giving it a nice listen very soon. 

I like that one, but find it hard to listen to in one sitting; it bores me after a while, but I suspect that's a result of me not listening properly.  I'll have to give it another listen sometime soon.  I think you'll probably enjoy it.  The first time I heard the bridge to Copernicus from TMV's Octahedron, I was instantly reminded of this album, I think you'll see why when you listen to it.

I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 00:00
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I like that one, but find it hard to listen to in one sitting; it bores me after a while, but I suspect that's a result of me not listening properly.  I'll have to give it another listen sometime soon.  I think you'll probably enjoy it.  The first time I heard the bridge to Copernicus from TMV's Octahedron, I was instantly reminded of this album, I think you'll see why when you listen to it.

I saw them play it live in a professional live tapping, was amazing. Hopefully i didn't acquire a taste for the live version more. 
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 00:09
Has the live show been officially released, or is it up on youtube?
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 00:57
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

As far as the first two albums go...I've always preferred In the Wake of Poseidon to In the Court of the Crimson King. 

Quite
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 00:59
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

As far as the first two albums go...I've always preferred In the Wake of Poseidon to In the Court of the Crimson King. 

Quite

Yep. 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 06:36
I really like Poseidon and lizard is similar but haskells voice doesn't sound very good on happy family and indoor games. This is my fave era due to the pianos and compositions. The jazz sound and better melodies coming from the tippet, sinfield, giles, lake and mcdonald era will always be the best. As for the wetton era, the highlights are the slower tracks. Nice slower compositions and quiet vocals. But I don't care for much else apart from larks and red. Not a fan of wettons voice when he isn't singing quietly. There wasn't much upbeat composition in the band really. Composition is the reason I listen to Prog so crimson are not among my fave 10 Prog bands due to this

Edited by dr prog - June 25 2012 at 06:41
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 08:32
The kind of band where the best album is often the last one I listned too.

If i had to pick only one guess it would be Lark's....
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 14:38
Yes Bowdown. One of the best progressive bands ever. I love ITCOTCK, ITWOP, Lizard, Larks and Red. Should listen to their other albums.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>