Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 06:38
Honestly i could give every album they made 5 stars, i havent, but only because i think its important that you make a compareable rating system within the artist own terms.
If i did not think like that, most KC albums would reduce other artists albums with 1-2 stars  Bowdown

To put it simple, that are in a league of its own. Unbelivable great albums !

Edited by tamijo - February 03 2012 at 06:41
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 07:41
Every album up to and including Red, is a prog classic. Their 80's albums are also very good. It took me years to appreciate this band.

I'm glad I got there in the end.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
spknoevl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 07:51
My absolute favorite band.  They've consistently pushed music forwards while maintaining a high level of composition and musicianship.
http://martinwebb.bandcamp.com

The notes are just an interesting way to get from one silence to the next - Mick Gooderick
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 08:54
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

My top Crimson albums are ITCOTCK, Larks' Tongues, Red and Discipline.

I've never really got on with their stuff from the 1990s onwards, but I guess you can't expect every reinvention of the band's sound to come up with five-star material and KC have had a better batting average than many,

This.  Though I would add Starless and Bible Black to the list (really anything live or studio from that version of the band I absolutely love) and Lizard and Islands.  Though all the ones listed above are my favorites.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 09:07
meh
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 09:40
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I've never really got on with their stuff from the 1990s onwards, but I guess you can't expect every reinvention of the band's sound to come up with five-star material and KC have had a better batting average than many,

This.  Though I would add Starless and Bible Black to the list (really anything live or studio from that version of the band I absolutely love) and Lizard and Islands.  Though all the ones listed above are my favorites.

I prefer Islands and Lizard to their first two albums. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 10:28
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Me too.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 10:32
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Me too.

Me three
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 10:44
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Me too.

Me three
4 me Two Wacko
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 10:50
Been a fan of KC for years - I do find some of their later albums a little challenging at times, but they tend to reward persistence; the Discipline/Beat/Three Of A Perfect Pair albums are by far some of my favorite progressive albums from the 1980s, but the 1970's output I find difficult to fault at all.

Great, if unpredictable, live band to see, too.

In my humble opinion, I think Robert Fripp is the epitomy of progressive rock; been going over 40 years & has always pushed the boundaries, never stagnated, always moved on. Everything featuring Fripp under the KC name doesn't even scratch the surface though - what of the numerous side projects, solo albums, guest appearances, collaborations...

And still he got time to marry Toyah...

But to finish, though...

meh

And the award for Pointless Post Of The Year goes to...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 11:23
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

meh

And the award for Pointless Post Of The Year goes to...

I was being ironic.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 11:33
My favorites are the first six releases. Red grew to be this fringe introduction to the late 70's teenage fans for a cause to investigate their back catalog and Crimson continued to carry this torch and etc, Originally Fripp wanted to (as he puts it), "Investigate Heavy Metal" when composing the music for Red. His frustrations with Bill Bruford due to the lack of understanding between the 2 of them. Fripp was interested in producing a "Metal" sound and was not pleased with his band's efforts and the direct indication in his mind that they were not understanding the style he was wishing to produce. So, over the years "Red" became popular in the prog world. What a huge mass of people are hearing and enjoying in "Red" over the decades is not what Fripp intended for them to hear. So the question for me is ..What did Fripp originally have in mind for this record? and since his project was a disaster for him and so on and so on...that is a mystery to unfold. I would be interested in hearing what he originally had in mind.

Fripp wrote pieces that were reminiscent of each other. He has been asked to explain the detail of this style for creating music during interviews. Many scholars don't seem to "get him" and they will take off on a path with an analogy , which in point Fripp just spends most of the interview correcting them. In the early days he was a little damaged when McDonald and Giles decided to leave the band. Ian McDonald who had written the most important material on In The Court of the Crimson King was part of the chemistry within the band. His writings briefly surfaced on "I.T.W.O.P. which left Fripp with the job of writing his own album. Lizard was a great effort and attempting to compose the album alone, bringing in the musicians, etc..but Ian McDonald is the magic missing from the later releases. If you were to observe that alone you can see that he was a different type of writer than Fripp and that may have been what was missing from the early sound of the band. What you heard on Lizard and Islands that sounded reminiscent of I.T.C.O.T.C.K. and I.T.W.O.P, was clearly Fripp attempting to keep Crimson's identity.

Fripp studied with a Jazz guitarist/instructor and my theory is that Fripp was interested in Sci-Fi/Horror themes in the 50's and 60's during his development of guitar playing. You could hear these reflections on the first 4 Crimson releases where he plays an open string while picking other strings he is fingering. Very "Twilight Zone" and with Larks and Starless he truly becomes schizoid with it. He is a very schooled guitar player and his hands seem to just fall into place naturally. He is very devoted.  

Edited by TODDLER - February 03 2012 at 11:35
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 20:55

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I also like King Crimson pretty much. However, for me, their only 5 star album is the debut, none other is so good on the whole, though there are excellent songs all around their discography.

I enjoy all the tracks too, none of them are really "bad". But to be reigned as the best from the band or genre, i can't agree or understand. 

It had to be said! LOL

Well, we all have our own opinions. What a boring world this would be if everyone agreed on everything.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 00:34
In the court-2 or 3 fairly good songs, but the sound and style is dated and schizoid is the only song with colour and variety. Good album for it's time but nothing special 7/10
In the wake-same lineup producing more colour and variety with better composition Very good 8.5/10
Lizard-Similar to Posiedon but Haskells voice doesn't sound good in Crimson. Pretty good 8/10
Islands-haven't got this album yet
Larks-A mixture of nice slow tracks, good riffs and album filler. Experimental but not overly strong in composition. I only like Wettons voice in slow tracks. Good album but without Sinfield, the keys and composition are lacking. Fairly good 7.5/10
Red-an improved version of Larks with more structure and grunt. Pretty good 8/10
Starless-Sounds like an album of experimental outtakes. Nothing special apart from Nightwatchman mainly. 7/10

I would have liked Crimson more if Giles, Lake andSInfeld stayed around for a few more years

Edited by dr prog - February 04 2012 at 00:35
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 05:26
I like the fact that the style has evolved over the years with Fripp being the only constant element.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 06:02
I absolutely love In The Court ..., but it is a very peculiar phenomenon in their discography (at least to me) as its style stands out and has never been really "reused" by the band ... It's "an observation by a band named king crimson" more than a KC album imo
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 07:01
Listenning to  King Crimson, I never know if I must laugh or cry TongueCry ...  As I am always in a mood or the other, I appreciate them each time.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 07:46
Originally posted by Chozal Chozal wrote:

I absolutely love In The Court ..., but it is a very peculiar phenomenon in their discography (at least to me) as its style stands out and has never been really "reused" by the band ... It's "an observation by a band named king crimson" more than a KC album imo

Except it was entirely "reused" in their subsequent album.
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 15:47
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I like the fact that the style has evolved over the years with Fripp being the only constant element.

Me too. It makes the band really interesting. I also like their evolution through time. They adapted their sound to every era. I really like The Power to Believe and I consider it as good as In the Court of the Crimson King and Red.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 18:47
Does anybody know if there is any live recordings of One More Red Nightmare out there?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>