Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2012 at 18:55
Oh well, perhaps I'll have to stick to the one I already have then.
PolarWolf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 04:49
King Crimson is a band not too familiar to me, even though the first time I heard their music was already in 1995 or 1996 when "Dinosaur" was played in a radio show that concentrated on progressive rock.
Anyway, I've got seriously into prog just recently (or at least I think so, as almost every album I purchased last year was more or less prog) and now decided to make my first post here to get some advice on KC.

I have three of their albums: ItCotCK, Red and Thrak and I like them all, the debut being my favourite so far. I like how they combine so different elements in their albums: screeching heavy guitars, symphonic mellotron passages, haunting vocals and very free form jazz. I've also listened to Three of a Perfect Pair and ConstruKction of Light a couple of years ago but wasn't too impressed by them. I might give them a second chance some day, though.

So now I've listened some songs on Youtube and decided that the next album I would dig into would be either Larks' Tongues in Aspic or Starless And Bible Black. I'd like to ask your opinion on the 40th anniversary CD+DVD-A versions. I have a stereo system, so I won't get 5.1 sound, but I guess the Hi-Res stereo mixes make buying it worthwhile? Has anyone compared these 40th anniversary stereo mixes to previously remastered albums?

I've also understood that King Crimson is an excellent live band so I thought I might get one of their concert DVD's. Which one do you think is the best?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 10:28
Originally posted by PolarWolf PolarWolf wrote:

I've also understood that King Crimson is an excellent live band so I thought I might get one of their concert DVD's. Which one do you think is the best?

Good question, I have a few.  There's nothing of quality predating the '80's.  You can watch a Youtube video of the Larks Tongues band doing the first song.  Neil And Jack And Me has the Beat tour along with a show from the Three Of A Perfect Pair tour.  Deja Vroom is a DVD that was made from the next incarnation.  Has some alternate video angle stuff.   I think Eyes Wide Open is as recent as you can get.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 14:42
I remember King Crimson playing "Larks Tongues In Aspic Part II" and "Easy Money" on the "Midnight Special". They were introduced by "Wolfman Jack". That was very strange to see in the 70's. A decade later they were performing "Larks Tongues In Aspic Part Suck"
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 15:10
Originally posted by PolarWolf PolarWolf wrote:

I'd like to ask your opinion on the 40th anniversary CD+DVD-A versions. I have a stereo system, so I won't get 5.1 sound, but I guess the Hi-Res stereo mixes make buying it worthwhile? Has anyone compared these 40th anniversary stereo mixes to previously remastered albums?

Welcome, PolarWolf!  I have done some comparisons between the various editions of the KC catalogue, and I have to say that the best version for you really depends on your taste.  I happen to like the sound that replicates the master tapes or a good vinyl pressing.  Some like to have the treble and bass cranked and it be a bit louder.  I find that when those changes are made, the sound becomes less clear, and that bothers me.  But again, for some it's not a problem, as they're primarily listening on MP3 players and/or earbuds.

Regarding the 40th series (CD/DVD), none of the stereo mixes that I've heard, except for Lizard, are as good as the 30th Anniversary series.  The other comment I would make is that Red is best on the EG version, over the 30th or the 40th.  (I have a 5.1 system, so for me it's a no-brainer--every one of them sounds phenomenal in 5.1--I rarely even listen to the stereo versions anymore.) 

As far as extras go, there are a fair bit on these 40th releases.  Nothing really that I'd consider essential, though.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 18:03
Fripp & friends are always interesting; but only the first album has relevance for me.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2012 at 20:36
I had a dream a couple of nights ago where a fellow PA member and I were grocery shopping for Thanksgiving type food in a dimly lit market and "Fallen Angel" was playing over the loudspeakers. We were dressed like we owned a speakeasy and our checkout girl was an old Asian women who barked ancient proverbs at me.

Just thought I'd share.
CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 02:27
I think the 80s albums are overrated. And I haven't been interested in anything after that. Which is strange because the guitar work is the most interesting part of KC. 
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 02:39
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

I had a dream a couple of nights ago where a fellow PA member and I were grocery shopping for Thanksgiving type food in a dimly lit market and "Fallen Angel" was playing over the loudspeakers. We were dressed like we owned a speakeasy and our checkout girl was an old Asian women who barked ancient proverbs at me.

Just thought I'd share.

Nice. LOL
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 04:11
Originally posted by CloseToTheMoon CloseToTheMoon wrote:

I think the 80s albums are overrated. And I haven't been interested in anything after that. Which is strange because the guitar work is the most interesting part of KC. 

For me, 80's King Crimson are less accessible, but I guess that's because new wave ain't 'my' genre.
PolarWolf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2012 at 07:21
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Good question, I have a few.  There's nothing of quality predating the '80's.  You can watch a Youtube video of the Larks Tongues band doing the first song.  Neil And Jack And Me has the Beat tour along with a show from the Three Of A Perfect Pair tour.  Deja Vroom is a DVD that was made from the next incarnation.  Has some alternate video angle stuff.   I think Eyes Wide Open is as recent as you can get.

Thanks for the info. I think Deja Vroom with its selectable camera angles seems most interesting.

Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Welcome, PolarWolf!  I have done some comparisons between the various editions of the KC catalogue, and I have to say that the best version for you really depends on your taste.  I happen to like the sound that replicates the master tapes or a good vinyl pressing.  Some like to have the treble and bass cranked and it be a bit louder.  I find that when those changes are made, the sound becomes less clear, and that bothers me.  But again, for some it's not a problem, as they're primarily listening on MP3 players and/or earbuds.

Regarding the 40th series (CD/DVD), none of the stereo mixes that I've heard, except for Lizard, are as good as the 30th Anniversary series.  The other comment I would make is that Red is best on the EG version, over the 30th or the 40th.  (I have a 5.1 system, so for me it's a no-brainer--every one of them sounds phenomenal in 5.1--I rarely even listen to the stereo versions anymore.) 

As far as extras go, there are a fair bit on these 40th releases.  Nothing really that I'd consider essential, though.

Thanks, Todd. It's true that many of the remastered albums (and new releases as well) nowadays are too loud and less dynamic. Hmm... I seem to have the EG's 30th Anniversary edition of Red and it does sound very good. I probably won't upgrade that then. But maybe I'll try 40th Anniversary version of Starless And Bible Black. Larks Tongues seem not have that DVD-A version available yet.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2012 at 12:37
if you have already liked 3 of their albums i think you should continue for starters with actually any one of their 70's albums , you can't go wrong there.
larks.. and starless... are "similar"  to red . the first 4 albums are less heavy on the guitar and has more woodwinds and strings all are amazing from an amazing band!!
have fun!
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 12:30
One particular part of their history that I find laughable is the irony in Gordon Haskell. He had let out this scream of rage after the second verse in "Cirkus" which made the song more creepy , however he was screaming because he couldn't stand what he was singing. But you wouldn't want to hear anyone else sing this song. Then at the closing of "Indoor Games" with his bizzare sounding laughter. Again the laughter was fitting to the album, yet he was laughing because he couldn't believe someone was asking him to sing nonsense and this is all quite strange and ironic.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 19:59
If this is all true, then it is a very interesting (and funny) couple of facts; I would have thought it was all intentional. And it would be strange that they (Fripp) decided to leave it in the recording... perhaps in the end he thought it sounded cool, regardless of the reasons for the screaming and the laughter???
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 22:07
I wonder what you hardcore fans think about their latest album , which presents another new direction on the king's road? Being a huge fan myself I still haven't got usd to it.
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 22:50
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Just thought I'd share.

Nice. LOL

I once had a dream that I was riding a public bus with folks from all walks of life and suddenly, from nowhere, "Epitaph" began and I said "Wow, cool, King Crimson!". Then for some turned around and shushed me. Weird huh?
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2012 at 09:46
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

If this is all true, then it is a very interesting (and funny) couple of facts; I would have thought it was all intentional. And it would be strange that they (Fripp) decided to leave it in the recording... perhaps in the end he thought it sounded cool, regardless of the reasons for the screaming and the laughter???
Exactly. Another strange part of their history with Jamie Muir is sometimes over-looked in one sense.... they were  more free form in the areas of improvisation.
Collins, Wallace, and Boz were performing King Crimson songs in a "Blues/Funk/R&B" style in 1972. There was a "Blues" version of "In the Court of the Crimson King" and by the time "Earthbound" was recorded it was mutiny on Fripp. When you listen to the live shows from 71'...the band is well rehearsed and performing outstanding versions of "Cirkus" "Formentera Lady", "I.T.C.O.T.C.K.", "Lady of the Dancing Water" etc   To see them live in 1972 and not be aware of the difference in sound and structure they had in 71' is a rude awakening. Fripp did not seem interested in playing the Blues and I have never seen evidence of it.

Eventually Collins, Wallace, and Boz had their day with Alexis Corner and Snape while Fripp moved on to produce Larks. All simply a difference in musical direction. Most interesting is the live version of "Sailor's Tale" on "Live in Plymouth 71'  possibly clocking in over 14 minutes. The center section where Wallace plays a tribal beat, Pete Sinfield creates the sound of ocean waves with the VCS synth, and Mel Collins playing the most unusal Caribbean jazz improv on flute is amazing.   
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 10:10
Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

Fripp & friends are always interesting; but only the first album has relevance for me.

BINGO and thank you. The only issue is that too many people are not sure what the relevance is and how it relates to the time and place, and what a magic anthem it was for the time and place.

I can't really blame people for that though, when today's music is often way too insipid and trying to make itself relevant simply by using a quote of Jesus or someone else. Which is sad, because the man himself never quoted anyone else ... but only himself ... and here we are ... quoting someone outside of ourselves as an excuse for supposedly believing something that we do not understand and still question!

Relevance is not an idea! It's a reality!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:04
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

BINGO and thank you. The only issue is that too many people are not sure what the relevance is and how it relates to the time and place, and what a magic anthem it was for the time and place.

I can't really blame people for that though, when today's music is often way too insipid and trying to make itself relevant simply by using a quote of Jesus or someone else. Which is sad, because the man himself never quoted anyone else ... but only himself ... and here we are ... quoting someone outside of ourselves as an excuse for supposedly believing something that we do not understand and still question!

Forgive me (for I have sinnedTongue), but what, precisely, is the relevance of Jesus in a discussion thread about King Crimson?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:06
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Forgive me (for I have sinnedTongue), but what, precisely, is the relevance of Jesus in a discussion thread about King Crimson?

I think that the messiah in this scenario is played by Robert Fripp. I could easily be totally wrong though
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>