Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMike Oldfield favorite moments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mike Oldfield favorite moments
    Posted: July 31 2012 at 18:44
Just got a bunch of Mike Oldfield: Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, and Incantations (with some other albums from other artists). So I expect to have some magical musical moments for the next days
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 14:47
I prefer TB3 as its a lot of fun. TB2 seemed a bit pointless to me.Other than giving all the sections a name very little changed accept a modern production sheen which it didn't really need. I have the two sided live DVD of TB2 and TB3 and it stays permanently stored in the box with TB3 ready to play.
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 14:33
Originally posted by Molitro Molitro wrote:

Aside of all the music mentioned here (I'm with you, Amarok, Incantations, Ommadawn...),  I've always thought the first half of Tub Bells 2, right till the end of The Bell, that is, is nothing less of a masterpiece.

(I can't believe I hadn't found this forum before, being the prog junkie that I am. I'm finding out about plenty of awesome music thanks to you guys, cheers)

Welcome! Smile TB2 is a very good album, actually I prefer it to it predecessor (OK, don't stone me Tongue). Especially the live performance on the dvd was stunning.
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Molitro View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 06:45
Aside of all the music mentioned here (I'm with you, Amarok, Incantations, Ommadawn...),  I've always thought the first half of Tub Bells 2, right till the end of The Bell, that is, is nothing less of a masterpiece.

(I can't believe I hadn't found this forum before, being the prog junkie that I am. I'm finding out about plenty of awesome music thanks to you guys, cheers)

Edited by Molitro - July 28 2012 at 06:47
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 14:53
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I remember watching a concert of Mike Oldfield where he performed the entire Tubular Bells II.  I believe it may have been the 4th of July and at the end of the performance fireworks are released from behind the stage and Mike Oldfield waves goodbye to audience.  The 1 and only time I ever had the chance to see him. I was amazed by his right hand finger picking technique. He produces this harmonic sound when playing single note phrases. I love his style of guitar playing. In the 80's he hired a lot of different vocalists ....there are some hokey tunes on those 80 's releases, but it's beautiful hokey. What can I say? I have loved the music of 10CC for years. Mike Oldfield's singer songwriter material was classy like 10CC and many others who are crafty writers with simplistic arrangements that draw me in.
I think my favourite Oldfield song is To France. I enjoy listening to the first disc of The Complete Mike Oldfield double CD where many of his best songs are grouped together. He even provided a hit for Hall and Oates ..but I'm prepared to forgive him thatWinkLOL
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 07:36
I remember watching a concert of Mike Oldfield where he performed the entire Tubular Bells II.  I believe it may have been the 4th of July and at the end of the performance fireworks are released from behind the stage and Mike Oldfield waves goodbye to audience.  The 1 and only time I ever had the chance to see him. I was amazed by his right hand finger picking technique. He produces this harmonic sound when playing single note phrases. I love his style of guitar playing. In the 80's he hired a lot of different vocalists ....there are some hokey tunes on those 80 's releases, but it's beautiful hokey. What can I say? I have loved the music of 10CC for years. Mike Oldfield's singer songwriter material was classy like 10CC and many others who are crafty writers with simplistic arrangements that draw me in.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2012 at 07:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

I grew up with his 'Crises' album from 1983 and the title track remain as one of my favorite songs ever. Couldn't stop listening to it back then and everytime I listen to it now I still get shivers down the spine. The ending climax is amazing!

Other than that, all of Incantations is excellent, and the first half of TB part 2 is just beautiful. Could repeat it all day long, no problem.
Simon Phillips should get a fair amount of credit for Crises as co producer and drummer.One of the best collaborative albums he made when you consider that Roger Chapman and Jon Anderson also provided vocals for a couple of tracks.

Absolutely. The Anderson and Chapman tracks are stronger than many of his other 80's songs (that's under ten minutes long that is), Shadow on the Wall rocks! Approve Probably his steadiest 80's album overall.

Phillips' drumming is tasty throughout the whole album. Love the single strokes in the climax of 'Crises', simple but effective and awesome.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 18:39
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

btw Hergest Ridge and Incantations should be on your shopping listSmile

Oh they are. It seem like his records are forever going out of print and expensive though.
They were rereleased in 2010 & 2011, go buy them.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 14:17

Oh they are. It seem like his records are forever going out of print and expensive though.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 14:12
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I only have Ommadawn and Tubular Bells, but the end of Ommadawn Part 2 (just before "On Horseback") blows me away every time.
That is amazing indeed although the whole album is remarkableClap

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 14:08
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

I grew up with his 'Crises' album from 1983 and the title track remain as one of my favorite songs ever. Couldn't stop listening to it back then and everytime I listen to it now I still get shivers down the spine. The ending climax is amazing!

Other than that, all of Incantations is excellent, and the first half of TB part 2 is just beautiful. Could repeat it all day long, no problem.
Simon Phillips should get a fair amount of credit for Crises as co producer and drummer.One of the best collaborative albums he made when you consider that Roger Chapman and Jon Anderson also provided vocals for a couple of tracks.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 14:02
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

The beginning of Part One from Incantations. The building choir sets you up for what the whole album is about to bring. I swear, Mike Oldfield gets too little recognition in this site. He made some of the most beautiful music that could make a man cry.

One of the many impressive aspects of those first four albums are the beginnings.
Oldfield's music at that time was incredibly spiritual as if he was searching for the answers to very deep questions about life the universe and everything.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 09:36
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

The beginning of Part One from Incantations. The building choir sets you up for what the whole album is about to bring. I swear, Mike Oldfield gets too little recognition in this site. He made some of the most beautiful music that could make a man cry.

It also has that mystical side to it. I used to take the music on the beach and watch the tides. I've been wanting to purchase the new release of Incantations..which I suppose is a remastered version...but I read some bad reviews where fans expressed liking the original release which has a shot of Mike Oldfield standing on the beach. What is the remastered version like?  What is different about this release?
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 09:32
I only have Ommadawn and Tubular Bells, but the end of Ommadawn Part 2 (just before "On Horseback") blows me away every time.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 09:30
[QUOTE=moshkito]!

My favorite moment though, surprisingly enough is in the "Exposed" album ... and it goes from the beginning to the end ... and watching Maddy Prior and (specially) the late Pierre Moerlin perform is worth the price of admission and it is a dream waiting to happen.

This is in fact one of the most incredible moments in time for me. This was a magical time. "Exposed" has outstanding performances and personal arrangements that stop me in my tracks. I can't pay attention to anything other than the music which is truly saying something. I don't multi-task when that record is on. I don't know what it is about the performance itself....I mean to say that sometimes it comes across being completely different from other live albums in the history of music.

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 04:31

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 04:21
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2012 at 20:18
In Tubular Bells Side II, 8 minutes in, the part that kicks in with the ethereal choir and what sounds like maybe a mandolin. One of my favorite moments in music. The whole previous 8 minutes builds up to it and it's just glorious.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 21:51
Originally posted by slightly slack slightly slack wrote:

I agree as concerns the bagpipe section on Ommadawn.
One of the most beautifully heart wrenching pieces of music Ive ever heard.

I think his most powerful guitar playing is found on the live side
of The Complete Mike Oldfield, where he brings Platinum
to its climax  with a spellbinding dose of raw rhythmic intensity.
Just crank it, baby!

I was about to mention that Live version of Platinum.
I also love his soloing just before the Sailor's Hornpipe on Exposed
Incantations Part 4
The oboe part in Hergest Ridge
Argiers (from Boxed)
Ommadawn Part 2 Band 3 (the insane lead guitar jig)
the 80s pop masterpieces "Crime of Passion" and "Pictures in the Dark"
the electro celtic brilliance of "Conflict" from QE2
Taurus II

MANY more

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2012 at 12:45
Originally posted by Anonamoose52 Anonamoose52 wrote:

...  the four, Amarok is my favorite... up to 9:40- 15:34 on pt. 2 of Hergest Ridge. I honestly find it hard to sleep sometimes if the section is on my mind, ...What are some similar moments for you? In Oldfield or in general.

All in all, I have no issues or complaints and there are moments of glorious work in many places. About the only thing that did not stand up well for my ears was his recent stuff that was a rehashed Glen Miller version of his music and I didn't like it. The guitar was missing and a lot of the stuff was soapy as heck for my ears and felt like muzak, and I didn't like it.

But that's me and my ears!

My favorite moment though, surprisingly enough is in the "Exposed" album ... and it goes from the beginning to the end ... and watching Maddy Prior and (specially) the late Pierre Moerlin perform is worth the price of admission and it is a dream waiting to happen.

You can not ask for more in music in excciting you at all!

(And yes, Amorok is one of my favorites because you can not preconceive ideas about music and its application and how it is put together ... because Mike has already suggested that there were none, anyway ... and I like the visuals that it gives me, which is a lot more than music that has "lyrics" that supposedly make it more progressive than the sphagetti that you cook once a year ... !!!)

Edited by moshkito - February 07 2012 at 12:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>